H4 headlight upgrade.. but to what?

Brom

T6 Pro
My apologies for starting yet another thread on the subject of replacing H4 candles on a T6 with something fit for purpose.

I have read the other long threads, which have been 'illuminating', but as a non-tekkie, I find the detail very confusing, and I would like to try to distill the wisdom and experience they contain into something short and sweet that I can understand fully.

My 2016 204PS van is capable of high speed in daylight, but is limited to 40mph at night by the feeble lighting. This is dangerous and completely unacceptable.
In previous years, as it is converted into a campervan, I effectively stopped using the vehicle in the dark winter months if there was any risk of being be-nighted, and used my ancient Fiat Doblo, whose lights are twice as good. But that's pathetic.
Before this winter, I really must get some replacement lights organised. But which ones? I can't afford to pay VW (and wouldn't, on principle!), an extortionate amount for their LED headlight conversion, so have to look at H7 replacements.

As I understand the position, the starting point is to look for second-hand OEM H7 lights from a Caravelle or similar - presumably on E-Bay. However, a search shows page after bewildering page of headlight bulbs/conversion kits of all types.
What, exactly, should I be looking for, and what sort of price should I expect to pay for them?

If buying second-hand doesn't appeal, or there is nothing suitable on E-Bay, then one is looking at aftermarket kits. My reading of the threads seems to show that the Van-Tech lights have some drawbacks commensurate with their lower price. But even they aren't cheap, so are presumably best avoided? Is that fair, or have they improved recently?

Then one has the Transporter HQ headlight kits, now on V3. These seem to be well-recommended, but are expensive (£475 with the standard H7 lightbulbs). What I find difficult to get my head round, is whether, having bought them, and had them fitted (because I won't be doing the job myself, however easy it may look on their video), I will have problems with warning lights on the dashboard, flickering main beams - or a large black patch on the road ahead of me, because the dipped beams don't work in concert with the mains?
Then there is the question of all the extra power going through the cables.

Am I right in thinking I will have to find someone locally with a VCDS who knows how to use it, and get them to re-calibrate the lights to avoid all these problems?

Is there anyone in the Lancaster area with such a device, who would be prepared to assist?

Or are the Transporter HQ lights really as simple as they are shown to be on the video, and it is all plug and play, with no remaining issues?

On the question of the bulbs, it seems that, if I want to stay legal, I must use the original H7s, or buy some replacement high-performance bulbs. If the latter, which ones are reckoned to give best results and best value for money?

Alternatively, I could buy the LED bulbs which Transporter HQ offer for £65, on the basis that they aren't obviously LED once fitted, and should therefore be missed by the MOT testers. They would do the job best, and THQ say they don't blind oncoming motorists - but they would say that, wouldn't they? What do those who have them think of them in practice?
The problem I see is that, as they are illegal, this means you are uninsured in the event of a crash, as once your insurer finds out they are fitted, it's an ideal opprtunity to evade covering you.

This whole field seems to be covered with mines!

Advice would be very much appreciated.

My apologies for starting yet another thread on the subject of replacing H4 candles on a T6 with something fit for purpose.

I have read the other long threads, which have been 'illuminating', but as a non-tekkie, I find the detail very confusing, and I would like to try to distill the wisdom and experience they contain into something short and sweet that I can understand fully.

My 2016 204PS van is capable of high speed in daylight, but is limited to 40mph at night by the feeble lighting. This is dangerous and completely unacceptable.
In previous years, as it is converted into a campervan, I effectively stopped using the vehicle in the dark winter months if there was any risk of being be-nighted, and used my ancient Fiat Doblo, whose lights are twice as good. But that's pathetic.
Before this winter, I really must get some replacement lights organised. But which ones? I can't afford to pay VW (and wouldn't, on principle!), an extortionate amount for their LED headlight conversion, so have to look at H7 replacements.

As I understand the position, the starting point is to look for second-hand OEM H7 lights from a Caravelle or similar - presumably on E-Bay. However, a search shows page after bewildering page of headlight bulbs/conversion kits of all types.
What, exactly, should I be looking for, and what sort of price should I expect to pay for them?

If buying second-hand doesn't appeal, or there is nothing suitable on E-Bay, then one is looking at aftermarket kits. My reading of the threads seems to show that the Van-Tech lights have some drawbacks commensurate with their lower price. But even they aren't cheap, so are presumably best avoided? Is that fair, or have they improved recently?

Then one has the Transporter HQ headlight kits, now on V3. These seem to be well-recommended, but are expensive (£475 with the standard H7 lightbulbs). What I find difficult to get my head round, is whether, having bought them, and had them fitted (because I won't be doing the job myself, however easy it may look on their video), I will have problems with warning lights on the dashboard, flickering main beams - or a large black patch on the road ahead of me, because the dipped beams don't work in concert with the mains?
Then there is the question of all the extra power going through the cables.

Am I right in thinking I will have to find someone locally with a VCDS who knows how to use it, and get them to re-calibrate the lights to avoid all these problems?

Is there anyone in the Lancaster area with such a device, who would be prepared to assist?

Or are the Transporter HQ lights really as simple as they are shown to be on the video, and it is all plug and play, with no remaining issues?

On the question of the bulbs, it seems that, if I want to stay legal, I must use the original H7s, or buy some replacement high-performance bulbs. If the latter, which ones are reckoned to give best results and best value for money?

Alternatively, I could buy the LED bulbs which Transporter HQ offer for £65, on the basis that they aren't obviously LED once fitted, and should therefore be missed by the MOT testers. They would do the job best, and THQ say they don't blind oncoming motorists - but they would say that, wouldn't they? What do those who have them think of them in practice?
The problem I see is that, as they are illegal, this means you are uninsured in the event of a crash, as once your insurer finds out they are fitted, it's an ideal opprtunity to evade covering you.

This whole field seems to be covered with mines!

Advice would be very much appreciated.
You’ll find a set of VW OEM H7’s on Ebay, if not this week next week, filter with ‘sold’ and you’ll see what the going price is.
They are as good a THQ lights which in my opinion need some work on the wiring loom before installing.
IMO don’t get into the aftermarket bulb stuff, if you can see where you are going with H7’s than they are doing the job.
There a legal issues with retrofit LED bulbs.
This discussion could go on for months:uh run:

Perhaps go to somewhere like Eurowagens for new H7 units - they appear out of stock so you maybe best call them. Looking at the bulb description these have two H7 lamps…

I paid £200 plus postage for my second hand ones. @BognorMotors sometimes have them.

Ian

H7's do the job (and do look better than H4's). THQ lights are mainly for looks imo.

Price: h7 headlamp

I recently went from H4 to H7 and the light throw is much better. Stuck to halogen for the dipped and high beam and went LED for the sidelight and DLR's.
It is necessary to code the dipped to remain on with high beam.
I managed to do this for <£200 including the new LED bulbs.

Others may disagree but my suggestion would to fork out for the genuine LED upgrade (anything else is a disappointment), otherwise go for a used set of genuine H7’s, a cheap improvement.
The aftermarket lights will disappoint because they cost more than H7’s but weren’t cheap and would have been a good chunk towards the full LED cost.
I went from H4 to THQ V1 to full VW LED retrofit with levellers.
If you’re in the south speak to Chris and the Van cave
Paul

Reactions: CAB
H7's do the job (and do look better than H4's). THQ lights are mainly for looks imo.

Price: h7 headlamp

I recently went from H4 to H7 and the light throw is much better. Stuck to halogen for the dipped and high beam and went LED for the sidelight and DLR's.
It is necessary to code the dipped to remain on with high beam.
I managed to do this for <£200 including the new LED bulbs.
Ditto......
.....I also switched off the bulb monitoring with vcds to get rid of the orange dash warning.. the LED bulbs may throw up cantus errors.

Swapped my H4s for a brand new set of caravelle H7s from Deutsche Parts at the weekend .Complete OE headlamps plus osram nightbreaker H7s and LED side lights and LED DRLs for £399.98 delivered. Pretty easy to fit ,only snag I had was the bulb fault with the LED DRLs ,the side lights worked fine with no fault .As the units came complete with all the original bulbs fitted, I have just left the original DRLs in for now as I couldn't stand looking at the warning light :) . I then used Carista BETA to keep dip on with main beam .
After coming back from the lakes last weekend and what felt like hitting a roundabout blind whilst leaving the M42 I am really happy with the results!

VW T6 Transporter H7 headlight upgrade kit with Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs and LED side / DRL

Swapped my H4s for a brand new set of caravelle H7s from Deutsche Parts at the weekend .Complete OE headlamps plus osram nightbreaker H7s and LED side lights and LED DRLs for £399.98 delivered. Pretty easy to fit ,only snag I had was the bulb fault with the LED DRLs ,the side lights worked fine with no fault .As the units came complete with all the original bulbs fitted, I have just left the original DRLs in for now as I couldn't stand looking at the warning light :) . I then used Carista BETA to keep dip on with main beam .
After coming back from the lakes last weekend and what felt like hitting a roundabout blind whilst leaving the M42 I am really happy with the results!

VW T6 Transporter H7 headlight upgrade kit with Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs and LED side / DRL
Take it these had the updated DRL number holders ?

@Sackmycook ? Not sure what you mean mate ,Whats updated and how? The LED bulbs were a direct fit and worked fine just the error light. Was there a modification to the bulb holder at some point ?

I used twenty20 bulbs for the DLR which don't throw up any error.
TOP TIP: If using new bulbs for the DLR change them before fitting the H7's to the van. The DLR bulb holder is a PIG to get back in!

@Sackmycook ? Not sure what you mean mate ,Whats updated and how? The LED bulbs were a direct fit and worked fine just the error light. Was there a modification to the bulb holder at some point ?
He means the earlier H7 lights had a problem with the DRL - the click in connectors of the bulb holder can overheat due to a resistive connection. The later ones were modified as a wired bulb holder. You can also buy a replacement wired bulb holder to fit the older units (snip a couple of cables and solder in) which is what I did for peace of mind rather than them being melted!

Hope that clarifies.

Ian

Seconded on ebay, a few of us post them on "H4 to H7 upgrade" thread when we spot them.

Read the threads on how to identify the difference (I look for the smaller lower bulb hole towards the inside on H7, they are on the outer side of the main bulb on H4).

Upgrade halogen bulbs while it's easy to put them in (nightbreakers or Philips 150) and white drls, no need for LED hassle.

Thanks for your reply and link - nice to see Deutsche Parts still have them in stock.
Could you explain further about 'the bulb fault with the LED DRLs'?
Is that something which could be ironed out by Carista/VCDS? My current DRLs are the basic non-LED type, which it would be nice (but not essential) to upgrade.

Perhaps go to somewhere like Eurowagens for new H7 units - they appear out of stock so you maybe best call them. Looking at the bulb description these have two H7 lamps…

I paid £200 plus postage for my second hand ones. @BognorMotors sometimes have them.

Ian
Thanks for that advice. I have written to Bognor Motors to ask them about stock.

He means the earlier H7 lights had a problem with the DRL - the click in connectors of the bulb holder can overheat due to a resistive connection. The later ones were modified as a wired bulb holder. You can also buy a replacement wired bulb holder to fit the older units (snip a couple of cables and solder in) which is what I did for peace of mind rather than them being melted!

Hope that clarifies.

Ian
What he said...

Ah, I see! But I thought that applied to 'early' versions, whereas Stu said his were brand-new - and that is the impression I got from reading the Deutsche Parts blurb for their product. I therefore assumed this must be a different problem. Would new units still have the older design of DRL bulb-holder? I suppose it depends how long they had been in stock...

Back