It's not for the inexperienced, Although like I said certainly not as bad as the cars we've done previously so a keen amateur could cope with it. Lots of 'pop' clips and not too many screws.

Does anyone on here have a Caravelle they are willing to take the bottle cooler out of to take a pic of the pipe mount behind?
If I remove the bottle holder to reveal the fuse carriers and the cooling pipe, there is still more trim covering the pipe, all you see is the end of the pipe with the seal on it..

Thats fine work there @volkscraft . you will get a lot of interest on here especially from some of us who could not order the comfort dash option as it was not available at the time we purchased ( like me ) :thumbsup:

Thanks @StudleyGlass , I had exactly the same problem. It was on the online configurator, I ordered it. Then got a call from the local dealership saying my order had been rejected by the factory. I really got my hopes up too, hence my stubbornness and the expensive retrofit. The Plus point is, it meant I could have all black trims though.

Thanks @Loz , Just the other side of the round foam bit are two mounting screws, If you can get any visibility of what they attach to it would be great. Here's mine currently. ETKA and Elsa are useless where these hoses are concerned. Pics show them floating mid air.

IMG_0317_zpseuxpezht.jpg

I looked at one and saw the the flange on the corner of the pipe with a screw going down through it securing it to something put cant remember/didnt see what, assuming there is another piece/bracket required to give it a fixing point as the pipe outlet was rigid in place, the screw went down through the hole where the pen is pointing in the below pic

IMG_4219[1].JPG

Can you help us out with the connection that feeds the cooler ?
I have a centre console to go in and have the pipe work that etka shows but dont know where the end connects until i get into the dash, i assume there is a spigot on the airbox than can be used or some form of connection point but would like to know where and if any other parts are required before i start taking things apart

It looks like a plastic rivet might go through the hole that Pauly's pen is sticking through into the hole of the metal part in the photo.
I have tried to take photos but the pipe fills the aperture.

IMG_3386.jpg

When I put the plastic pipe in place. it doesn't appear to line up with anything. It also doesn't help that I have no idea which way up it goes!

As for the outlet, It's possible to get at with the glove box removed. It's a hole with a rubber gromit in. I'll post some pics later so you can see. No drilling or cutting required, just pop out the gromit and insert the new pipe. Routing it is another matter!

When I put the plastic pipe in place. it doesn't appear to line up with anything. It also doesn't help that I have no idea which way up it goes!
Looking at the outlet from the front as per @Loz picture the pipe goes in and to the right then terminates pointing to the front of the van
The fixing hole in the corner bracket sits on top of the hole in the metal part you pictured

Very nice! What about the door cards, are you swapping those?

Just wondering what the door cards cost as looking around there seems to be a massive difference between the Shuttle and Caravelle versions (esp. at one converter).

I am sure that I have seen VW Parts prices on here somewhere, but have been digging for a couple of days and didn't find it.

Very nice! What about the door cards, are you swapping those?

Just wondering what the door cards cost as looking around there seems to be a massive difference between the Shuttle and Caravelle versions (esp. at one converter).

I am sure that I have seen VW Parts prices on here somewhere, but have been digging for a couple of days and didn't find it.

Think they are around 270 - 300 margin

Exactly, going to do the door cards and soft lighting in them this week. Worth every penny. Not available as a Kombi order so makes it stand out. Plus it means I can have 3 way speakers up front in factory locations ;)

@Pauly The outlet for the chiller is accessed from behind the upper left storage box. I have airbag removed in the below pics. Put hand in to the right, and the gromit is just the other side of the square part of the heater box which actually houses the evaporator. Easy to see with dash out, but more of a feeling excercise with it in.

C954CB24-0693-4FD8-A420-67CA413EF628_zpsi9fkvrnk.jpg

91292FA9-1A6B-4D18-B487-A9FECD958D9C_zpstrpdf4qy.jpg

I have the hose with both outlets in it, so It's actually a 'T' that pushes in the heater box rather than an elbow on the single cooler version.

Last edited:
That makes sense, i have the 3 pieces etka shows can you confirm these look correct and elaborate to connections if poss
Anything else required ?

4269-0eae6d8609f24f7026157a48e62a7427.jpg4272-3f61b6564d37552836ab5852c2812462.jpg4273-f6a246f7c436e2f75cd0b75123e39b11.jpg

Sure, One on the left is the bugger I can't screw in that goes behind the bottle cooler.
The middle one I still have and can only assume it's for another version or Left hand drives?
The one on the right is the one I've fitted. The fitting with the flap goes in the heater box, the longer hose seems to go around towards the engine bay before doubling back with the wiring loom to come down and supply the lower glove box. The short section is the perfect length to go to the bottle cooler.

Back