Hello everyone, has any member here installed the Horizon Roof? I'm curious whether it's worthwhile to invest 7k?

Thank you.

@oiu82, I have a Hilo Sport roof that I purchased just prior to Hilo going bust. Due to an extensive delay in the delivery of my van, the roof wasn't fitted until March 2023 - probably the last Hilo Sport ever fitted to a Transporter... unless someone knows different.

My roof was fitted by Visiontech and is, fundamentally, the same as an Horizon roof - I discussed the differences with VT and, whilst they have plans to develop the roof further (E.g. an electric version), currently the only real difference is that VT have built a new pattern for the roof skin as the original was getting a bit shabby.

I love my roof and would describe it as the Rolls Royce of pop-tops, BUT it is a difficult & time-consuming roof to install - hence the high cost and hence why the original Hilo company went bust (time-consuming install => installers cut-corners => many customers with problems => Hilo completely overwhelmed + a shitty attitude to customers => they went bust).

Now that VT have established their own, trusted installation network, I wouldn't foresee the same installation issues arising, therefor I would say that if you can (and want to) afford the outlay, got for it. The product is great.

Hi All
I have a T6 LWB and want to have a pop top installed.
Current thoughts are the Skyline. The reviews I have seen in the forum are a few years old so would appreciate current thoughts/comments
on Skyline options and other manufacturers you would recommend.
I live Central South Coast between Portsmouth and Southampton so also interested in feedback on installers in this region.

Many Thanks
Peter

If you don't need a poptop then my advice is don't bother. I wish I had not bothered after all the problems I had with HILO and I have only needed the poptop for 1 week to accommodate extra people in the van, the rest of the time it has never been up.

Mat

Pop top has been up when parked on numerous occasions, so much easier to move around and do stuff. Makes the interior feel much bigger too.
Mine is an SCA, because that’s what the converter uses, but I’ve been happy with it.

Alternatively, a small stool or knee pads are probably cheaper

@Rfkdemon. Your either a whole lot shorter than my 6'1", don't spend much time in the van or have a much stronger back and neck than me. I just couldn't imagine having a camper or day van without the pop top

There is a long thread with recent activity on Skyline which might influence you.

I have a Poptop from PopTop roofs, AKA Streamline. I wouldn’t really recommend them as installers.

Last edited:
There is a long thread with recent activity on Skyline which might influence you.

I have a Poptop from PopTop roofs, AKA Streamline. I wouldn’t really recommend them as installers.

thanks for pointing me to this thread

I've got a Hilo and would highly recommend "son-of-Hilo", the Horizon roof. It is a touch pricey though!!

Also think about the tent fabric you want. Mine is proofed canvas, which is very breathable and I don’t get condensation. Stays dry inside. Others have a vinyl which is arguably more waterproof but less breathable, and more condensation prone.

Reactions: CAB
Back