Have a look through the thread below if you've not already :thumbsup:

Threads merged

I have Ginyo 215/65s on 16inch steels and they worked fine for 3 months in the snow and ice in Austria - I don't need them anymore if you're interested

I‘ve had a good look at the forum for answers to my question but seem to be as confused as I ever was so thanks for any thoughts in advance..
Our 2016 T6 has a set of 20” alloys which I believe are 9J width all round. Current tyres are 275/40 20 106 Y’s. These are definitely summer tyres and what I need for where we live in the middle of nowhere is a set of all seasons. Any decent options in this size and is sensible to stick to this 275’s?
Thanks everyone

The GVW of your van will be relevant in answering this question.

You do seem able to get decent all-season tyres in that size, with appropriate load rating, for example Vredestein Quatrac Pro or Michelin Crossclimate 2 SUV.

However, your current tyre is around 5% over in terms of diameter to a factory size (i.e. your speedo is likely a 5% underestimate), as far as I can see, so you might want to consider whether you want to maintain this with your all-seasons or go for a more matched size to factory.

If snow is a factor in choosing an all-season, maybe a narrower tyre than your 275's might be an idea - very wide tyres are generally poorer in the snow I believe as they have more tendency to float on top rather than dig in.

Reactions: Bav
Suspected as much, given the 106 rating of your current tyres.

Presuming you want to stay with tyres that are rated for your van (always the sensible option), your van being a T32 will markedly reduce the tyre options available to you. Unfortunately, I have no experience of AS tyres, so I can't point you in the right direction, other than to say that 275s sound wide to me. I would have thought 265s or 255s would work better.

Have PM'd you, I have 4 CrossClimate 2s available 275/40/20 109 Y, done about 1k miles. The under-read on my speedo was fully corrected using coding options of my 2017 T6 Highline panel van, pre-set coding options accessible with OBD11, Carista etc. Those wheels/tyres are too big for my lowered suspension - I take it you have standard suspension?

Get a set of 17" steel rims and winter tyres, change over with the seasons.

I just bought these £188 delivered..
Exactly what I usually do and just bought a set of them as well as I've got new "summer" wheels on order as well.

Note BFG have brought out a more road orientated tyre but looking at the ratings not sure why you would go for it. https://www.tyrelabelling.eu/EU/2020-740/en/690580_fcs_en.pdf

All seasons are a lot different to All terrains…

All season wise, (which is what this thread is about) i have experience driving in all conditions on Michelin cross climates and cross climate agilis, and i now have a set of Michelin latitude cross (yet to get use!) i cant recommend the cross climates enough, unreal tyre. As for what i bought for my misses 4x4 karoq scout, i went for the cheap Maxis tyres that shared the “same” tyre pattern as the cross climates. Half the price, and yes they definitely dont preform or last as long!!!

As @CALLAKN says there is a big difference between AS and AT tyres. My current favourite AS is still the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. On our 6th set if we count all the various family members vehicles that have been fitted with them. The Michelin Cross Climate is a much better AS in snow than the Vred, but the Vred outperforms the Michelin in the wet and the dry and is on a par on ice. I drive more in the wet and dry than I am likely to in the snow, so that's where my cash goes. Both are absolutely excellent AS tyres by the way, that will outperform all standard tyres in every road condition other than on bone dry warm surfaces. As with any AS, there is always compromise and you do get a very slight decrease in MPG and increase in road noise over a summer 'performance' tyre. I will genuinely never buy a non all season tyre again for any vehicle that I intend to use in the UK - the current crop of AS tyres are ideally suited to our variable climate and weather conditions in my opinion.

Last edited:
As @CALLAKN says there is a big difference between AS and AT tyres. My current favourite AS is still the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. On our 6th set if we count all the various family members vehicles that have been fitted with them. The Michelin Cross Climate is a much better AS in snow than the Vred, but the Vred outperforms the Michelin in the wet and the dry and is on a par on ice. I drive more in the wet and dry than I am likely to in the snow, so that's where my cash goes. Both are absolutely excellent AS tyres by the way, that will outperform all standard tyres in every road condition other than on bone dry warm surfaces. As with any AS, there is always compromise and you do get a very slight decrease in MPG and increase in road noise over a summer 'performance' tyre. I will genuinely never buy a non all season tyre again for any vehicle that I intend to use in the UK - the current crop of AS tyres are ideally suited to our variable climate in my opinion.
I will keep my eye on them Vredestein Quatrac Pro.

As for All Terrains, unless you plan on driving off road, there is no real benefit to having them apart from looks over an All Season. As all seasons do out preform ATs in all road aspects. (I drive bfs AT on my work hilux)

What i will say though, id put the good year eagle f1s up there as an all round road tyre.. the wet capabilities of them is brilliant!! Always used them on my track cars are wet/fast road.

All seasons are a lot different to All terrains…

All season wise, (which is what this thread is about) i have experience driving in all conditions on Michelin cross climates and cross climate agilis, and i now have a set of Michelin latitude cross (yet to get use!) i cant recommend the cross climates enough, unreal tyre. As for what i bought for my misses 4x4 karoq scout, i went for the cheap Maxis tyres that shared the “same” tyre pattern as the cross climates. Half the price, and yes they definitely dont preform or last as long!!!
I’ve just fitted Michelin X Climate 2's to my car. Very pleased with them.

What do you have on your van mick?
I have 2 sets of Devonports with both winter and summer tyres. Nokian full winter spec on my van for winter - i ski a lot. They’ve gotten me out of a lot of shit over the years. Great tyre.

Original Continentals for the summer.

@CALLAKN can you say you’ve had both Michelin cross climates and Michelin Agilis cross climates…. Were they both on your van and if so do you have a preference?

@CALLAKN can you say you’ve had both Michelin cross climates and Michelin Agilis cross climates…. Were they both on your van and if so do you have a preference?
I had the cross climates on the transporter and my old work transit (19plate 4 wheel drive diff) had the agilis… I’d say the agilis were more aggressive and hard core - rated them both just as much! Just think the agilis looked more hard core with side wall protection

Back