Winter/All Season tyre options 18" vs 20" wheels

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm in the market for a T32 T6 and viewed a really nice van this weekend. Ultimately, it wasn't quite for me (not the engine I'm after) but it had the best looking set of wheels on it that I've seen on a T6 (obviously, this is just personal taste):

NtlYM3f.png

I believe these at JBW TSM wheels in the 20" size. They also come in 18".

While they looked great, the tyres were summer ones. Where we live we get plenty of snow in winter so I generally run all season tyres on our cars.

So, basically, if I were to find a set of these wheels for whatever van I end up buying, would I be better going for the 18" wheels in order to find all season tyres?

Can anyone recommend any decent 18" all season tyres for a T32?

Thanks.

From my research there aren't anything like as many all season 20" tyres around. Sure, they do make them, and in premium brands as well, but they tend to be expensive.

Much more choice in 18". Worth looking at nokian weatherproof (or seasonproof); load rated for a t32, although note the only size for 18" is 235/55/18; fits fine, just fills the arch a bit more. I've got weatherproofs (on another car) and rate them highly. Coming up to 30k and still 4-5mm left

Bridgestone weather control A005 also meant to be good. Again, suitably load rated

Yep, running the Nokian ones on my car right now. They are fantastic.

Spotted that they do come in another size:

Little bit smaller but a great price.

Seasonproofs significantly less ...

As are the Bridgestones, and Michelins. I thought they were phasing out the weatherproofs, in favour of the seasonproof. Could have got that wrong, but might explain the highly inflated price

Wow, that suddenly gets very expensive!

In late 2019 I put these on my 4Motion T6.
They cost £104 per tyre shipped to my door then I paid £8 each for my local garage to fit and balance them.
I have done about 20,000 miles since then and they are fantastic in all weathers and on mud, wet grass etc.
I have rotated them front - rear and they will do at least another 10,000 miles before they are down to 2mm.

They seem to now be very difficult to get hold of and extremely expensive! I see the "Seasonproof" only gets a "B" for wet road grip, rather than the "A" that the Weatherproofs got.

Yeah, the nokian's keep getting pricier. I dodged one price hike on the car by switching to a slightly different size but that has become more expensive too. Shame because, as you say, they are great.

Taking a different angle, I spotted the Coopers on this page:

They look like a less agresive BFG. Semi-swamper I guess. I also like the way they look on the standard devonports. Might be a way to scratch the 'wheel itch' without spending a fortune :)

Back