@dennismo and @TheBadger thank you both so so much for the replies lads !! I've tried to be patient since first post as there is so much info already here didn't want to bother
but I want the job done

Lads are they mich CC2's going to get me off these blummin verges I pull on to as a first.... basically you have both run 'em for years what's your off road take on them?

and can either of you educate me as to why 255/45 seems to be so much more expensive is it a little used size or something ? 255/55 18 seems cheeper which defies logic as it has to have more rubber. The difference between 235/55 and 255/45 seems to be around £50 a corner which is roughly a 1/4 more it's alot of dosh

@PaulR83 I'll defer here to the above folks with knowledge, my take on moving from 255 to 235 isn't about fuel economy though just that bit more give in the greater depth of sidewall making rough roads that bit more comfy and I guess in a small way that massive wheel arch being filled just a bit more.dig a bit and images are here I suspect that the bigger tyre in my case will prreddy much put my speedo bang on as mine runs under according but it's an old T5 so maybe not relevent to you

Ta michly

forgive me :rofl:
Hi @Soundz.

So... in terms of the difference in price with the 255/45 vs the 255/55 - my guess would be (though I'm not an expert in these things) is simply that it's one of those things that when more of a product is sold, they can bring the cost down. So it could just be that the 255/55 has more made, and therefore they can bring the price down (even though, as you say, it's more rubber! ) ??

In terms of the off road reliability - it's seemed bang on for me. No issues at all, and have been decent in snow too. Certainly a million times better than summer tyres!

As one of the thousands stuck/not stuck in snow on the M62 the other night, I can't praise my Vredestien's all seasons enough. They kept me moving when all around were not, and got me all the way home through some surprisingly deep snow. They've done nearly 27k (I've rotated them) and look good for another 6-7k, if not more.

T6.1 DSG Kombi, non 4x4. The ability to turn the TRC off and on is massive improvement on my T6, and knowing when and when not to use it helps.

on a note about the Crossclimate 2, I have a few concerns after 12k miles. I run 103 load SUV XL Crossclimate 2 tyres. I am very careful with my driving and never drive on kerbs. However in some conditions the steering recently started to vibrate in a strange pattern. Decided to have the wheel
Balanced, all 4 were off balance with 3 tyres on 45g weight, one 60g! Evenly worn, nothing to notice. I will get the alignment done tomorrow and report later if this has anything to do with the Crossclimate2.
Size please Crazy? 103 points to 255/45?...interesting post I wonder what's at play, my no nuffiin gut says not tyres.......I've just read so so much I think .repeat think I'd have come across this please give me a heads up when you figure the cause.................I'd love to be educated :thumbsup:

Not had CC2s on a van (still waiting delivery…) but had them on front wheel and AWD cars. Absolutely no issue with verges and snow. I believe they are stamped M+S.
Thank you..I haven't quite pulled the trigger life an all ,but very very close.yes they are stamped M and S ( wot shop oh yeah that one I have a transporter can't afford to shop there) and 3PMSF but talking to actual users is very helpful

Not a rant but….. why all weather tyres aren’t more popular is beyond me.
Because the average brit driver has no idea mate.............I am one of them. sadly...tyre reviews did a video where a 2WD with all season rang rings around the smae SUV in 4WD simply down to the tyres.....watching that video stunned me

If you.sorry one has only lived and driven in southern blighty ( I grew up in the SW Dev Corn) one simply has so little experience of snow one doesn't learn that one has options.

so we brits drive around on summer tyres clueless as to how much technological advances have been made with tyres......
I think it's as simple as that Scruffy.............I have driven for 40 years basically locally and was clueless. I only know of all season because of digging at all terrain because of the camper and it's need to fulfill the purpose I made it for making piccies of wildlife. snow is gold to me.

Mate folks that travel to EU say sking they learn about all seasons but folks like me don't learn don't know.

Quite hard to write that Scruffy, I've made one mistake got one tiicket in 40 plus years try desparately to be considerate and focused and yet all season tyres were simply something I knew nothing about:(

Hi @Soundz.

So... in terms of the difference in price with the 255/45 vs the 255/55 - my guess would be (though I'm not an expert in these things) is simply that it's one of those things that when more of a product is sold, they can bring the cost down. So it could just be that the 255/55 has more made, and therefore they can bring the price down (even though, as you say, it's more rubber! ) ??

In terms of the off road reliability - it's seemed bang on for me. No issues at all, and have been decent in snow too. Certainly a million times better than summer tyres!
G'day Den yes your hunches follow mine with regard to first paragraph thanks again for the help , will order shortly and see how we go ATS seem to have a good deal right now.

Thanks again buddy really appreciate the time :thumbsup:

to all the lads that helped me here thank you...got 235/55 r18 104 mich Cc2 fitted this weekend,they dragged us 2WD up a very muddy farm track without issue,

Hmm I love the look, they don't fill wheel arch but fill it just a bit more. they have notched speedo to nearing accurate around 1MPH under at 40. according to phone and GPS. I had concerns about body roll but so far they seem more accurate through a corner and me old bus doesn't appear to roll more. Really bad, read shocking, roads seem easier on us.

So right now very very early days I have the best of all worlds great on road performance preddy good off road good fuel economy good wet braking. Guys we went to ATS they have a mich promo on......so for roughly £140 a corner we got 4tyres 4 wheel alinement balancing and a brake check oh and apparently a free video doorbell :rofl:

Hmm and theyare meant to last well too

Thanks again:thumbsup:

stu

to all the lads that helped me here thank you...got 235/55 r18 104 mich Cc2 fitted this weekend,they dragged us 2WD up a very muddy farm track without issue,

Hmm I love the look, they don't fill wheel arch but fill it just a bit more. they have notched speedo to nearing accurate around 1MPH under at 40. according to phone and GPS. I had concerns about body roll but so far they seem more accurate through a corner and me old bus doesn't appear to roll more. Really bad, read shocking, roads seem easier on us.

So right now very very early days I have the best of all worlds great on road performance preddy good off road good fuel economy good wet braking. Guys we went to ATS they have a mich promo on......so for roughly £140 a corner we got 4tyres 4 wheel alinement balancing and a brake check oh and apparently a free video doorbell :rofl:

stu
They sound great and just what I'm after. Especially the improved economy and off road grip. Will definitely get those. Most likely heading into the autumn. Muddy campsites dependant.
My current tyres only have 5k on them :rolleyes:

Size please Crazy? 103 points to 255/45?...interesting post I wonder what's at play, my no nuffiin gut says not tyres.......I've just read so so much I think .repeat think I'd have come across this please give me a heads up when you figure the cause.................I'd love to be educated :thumbsup:
I found a garage with very knowledgeable people. Passionate of their job and their cars. Exactly what I needed to find the root of the problem. They found out 2 alloys were slightly bent. After fixing the vent alloys they have balanced them and fit to the van.
The alignment was perfect on the passenger side, 0.5 out front and rear passenger side.
Adjustment was done successfully and for once in my life, they have managed to centre the wheel. Glad to say the Van now drive as it should. Smooth and with no vibrations to the steering anymore. Back to the tyres, they are bot at fault.

stu
Glad you have sorted it out.
However I would never let the ATS Bonkers touch my Van.

Reactions: CAB
They sound great and just what I'm after. Especially the improved economy and off road grip. Will definitely get those. Most likely heading into the autumn. Muddy campsites dependant.
My current tyres only have 5k on them :rolleyes:
Paul too early to base your choice on mine.that said you have time to muse huh,I will follow this post though as I learn more

I found a garage with very knowledgeable people. Passionate of their job and their cars. Exactly what I needed to find the root of the problem. They found out 2 alloys were slightly bent. After fixing the vent alloys they have balanced them and fit to the van.
The alignment was perfect on the passenger side, 0.5 out front and rear passenger side.
Adjustment was done successfully and for once in my life, they have managed to centre the wheel. Glad to say the Van now drive as it should. Smooth and with no vibrations to the steering anymore. Back to the tyres, they are bot at fault.

Glad you have sorted it out.
However I would never let the ATS Bonkers touch my Van.
That's ironic you are the 2nd T with bent wheels someone has mentioned too me this week. bless ya for the comeback and moreso for my joy you are sorted

For 3 decades a little village garage has sorted the jobs on a buggy I can't do. I watched a kid called Dave grow into a fine fine mechanic,( who incidentally loved VW's Davey sorted my stuff) in jan garage suddenly shut down.

I haven't the tools to fit tyres. Crazy I hear ya.......my work van got a set of new tyres work wouldn't let my garage fit those tyres their folks mullered a valve, in less than an hour after fitting I had a flat. couldn't even get to work. thank god the idiot messed up a rear tyre not front. and I know my work van. So I became aware quickly something was VERY wrong !!

So I hear your ATS comment.and counter with I work in bonkers land.I build the most expensive product you will ever buy, ( houses) some of the trades are morons some of them are stupidly good craftsmen, but the whole shebang is run by idiots who make obscene dosh and couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery if we supplied the beer and the glasses not heresay but fact

My point is thus,was your bonkers ATS guy equal to mine? Mine, he had white hair looked bonkers he talked with an accent I struggled to understand, and I watched him like a ruddy hawk, sure an untrained eye , but he was diligent , properly so, and what I understood of his words stacked up.

Tis hard judging a book by a cover, Crazy, really hard....................... and we should all remember there are far too many managers that have to be a boss 'cause ya simply couldn't employ them because they are basically useless............................. so being a boss is the only option.

Doing simple things very well over and over is very hard, few measure up, it's all down to diligence and care..................... but those folks are out there and it's not down to who they work for..

They are the rock this country feeds off.very sadly feeds off

My case is rested your honour ;)

all the luck buddy stoked ya got sorted tis finding the good un's huh?

T6.1 DSG Kombi, non 4x4. The ability to turn the TRC off and on is massive improvement on my T6, and knowing when and when not to use it helps.
You can turn it off on a T6 as I found out during a major snowstorm in Austria! Turn off ignition, turn it on, turn on 4 way flashers, press accelerator 5 times then foot on brake turn it over and eh voila. Simple really :rofl: When you turn off the ignition it reverts back.

Last edited:
You can turn it off on a T6 as I found out during a major snowstorm in Austria! Turn off ignition, turn it on, turn on 4 way flashers, press accelerator 5 times then foot on brake turn it over and eh voila. Simple really :rofl: When you turn off the ignition it reverts back.

You forgot to turn around three times and stick your finger in your ear!

You can turn it off on a T6 as I found out during a major snowstorm in Austria! Turn off ignition, turn it on, turn on 4 way flashers, press accelerator 5 times then foot on brake turn it over and eh voila.
What a palaver - almost on a par with getting out of the vehicle and hand-cranking the engine.

If only someone had have invented a control whereby you press it once to activate and a second time to deactivate. :rolleyes:

What a palaver - almost on a par with getting out of the vehicle and hand-cranking the engine.

If only someone had have invented a control whereby you press it once to activate and a second time to deactivate. :rolleyes:
you can't stop progress:cautious:

Back