Got a few security related questions -

How do I tell what standard security I have? I have a T6 T30 140 start line and don't have any over ride switch on the drivers B pillar so I assume I only have a factory immobiliser?

Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket alarm/immobiliser? My research points to autowatch or Clifford. What's best?

Just getting a bit paranoid about my van the more money I'm pumping into the conversion. Thanks in advance

I had a Clifford on a Sierra Sapphire 4x4 Cosworth, can recommend them. It had a blackjack system so that every time any door opened you had to put a code in other wise it would turn the engine off. It was so that if you got car jacked you could just walk away from the vehicle and the scum would not get very far.

We have a clifford on our Transit, and whilst its been fault free for 2 years it is the quietest alarm I have ever heard! I keep meaning to move the siren or add another.

I had a Clifford G5 in my nova back in the day and it was superb. Done a warning "preep " noise when people looked in the windows when it was armed. That's what was making me lean towards the Clifford for my T6 but the autowatch gets good reviews too.

Trying to work out if I have a factory alarm though?

Lock the van with a window open, let it settle then stick your head in and try the door from the inside, surely if it has an alarm that would set it off! failing that as the dealer you bought it from.

Thanks both, I'll try that tomorrow and see but I'm pretty sure it doesn't so definitely want to get an aftermarket one fitted for piece of mind. I also hide my keys in the house at night.

One weird thing I've noticed is that if I google car alarms glasgow or car alarms Scotland there are various pages that appear on the first page of results and they are all different web addresses and company names but the contact phone numbers are all the same!?!? Don't know if they are just trying to catch all the business but it's a bit odd

Reactions: NKC
Getting more common now businesses going under several names to scoop work or worse you get one central business pretending they are local to everyone by using a multitude of regional names all over the country

I suppose the other question I should be asking is do you think alarm/immobilisers are worth it? (If you don't have a factory one). Or are most thefts from the keys being stolen these days?

With or without an alarm it won't start without keys (unless your a vehicle locksmith they can start anything within the hour) I always think immob protects the vehicle and alarms protect the contents in as far as drawing attention and not giving unlimited time to empty/steal stuff

With or without an alarm it won't start without keys (unless your a vehicle locksmith they can start anything within the hour) I always think immob protects the vehicle and alarms protect the contents in as far as drawing attention and not giving unlimited time to empty/steal stuff

That's a fair point. So if it has a factory immobiliser it's unlikely your average thief could hot wire it? But if it's parked somewhere in the dark the lack of an alarm means they can be rooting about in the back for a while. Maybe the autowatch would be the better option then as it's still thatcham approved but it's cheaper than the Clifford albeit with less tech.

For anyone that's interested I found the info on the vw site -

Startline and trendline - Thatcham Category 2 approved immobiliser

Highline - Thatcham Category 1 approved alarm and immobiliser with tow-away, perimeter and interior cab protection

I recon you need to immobilise, even if somebody has the keys, with a secret button/switch or a hidden transponder receiver. It is easier said than done :confused:

If I was going to have an aftermarket alarm fitted to mine I wold go for one with a paging facility so if I was close and someone set it off I could catch them in the act and give them a dammed good talking too. (while tied up on the way to see the seaside/sea from the sea bed!)

I recon you need to immobilise, even if somebody has the keys, with a secret button/switch or a hidden transponder receiver. It is easier said than done :confused:
This is something I've been pondering but it's beyond my auto electric ability I think. The worry with a secret button is that they are wise to it and would find it easily

If anyone has a good solution for this and doesn't mind sharing feel free to PM me with it

My father in law has just moved to Kenya. He has had a special switch wired in behind the mirror control knob, so that he has to rotate it in a specific pattern, like a dial on a safe is how he has described it. Being a white man in Mombassa makes him stick out like bollocks on a bulldog, plus he has a Toyota Hilux! Can see some dodgy faction coming after him - but by that time having a special switch behind the mirror knob is likely to be the least of his problems!! The 20 guys with AK47's standing in the loadbed maybe a more pressing issue.

Back