Hi guys im going down the 20" wheel route and have been looking at tyre size settling on the 275/40/20 . I can see there is a minefield of makes and quality....my buddy tells me its a van not a porsche!

So give me your experiences of best Price/quality/brand and ideally where a sale is occurring please

thanks

Hello mate some more info might be helpful.
What’s the van T28 T30 T32
4motion
Is it lowered if so by how much
I’m also in the market for wheels and tyres as I think mine are a bit big for my needs.

Sorry the pic is sideways! I have been toying with tyres for absolutely ages and had quite a thread going on here getting lots of advice! These are Pirelli P Zeros 275/35 r20 - you’ll need to ensure they’re correctly load rated to stay legal A t28 I think requires a minimum of 101, think these are 102. Although cost about £760 for a set, well worth it once I wind the suspension down a bit more!!
5C7D93ED-4EED-4771-9B7F-F468A78C74A5.jpeg

My van came with 275/40 . Think they were supplied from a large van parts company. I was told the ride is a bit more comfy. Not had any issues I know of. What’s the issue with /35 vs /40 out of interest ?

People.......? Van style website
The reasons companies like van style offer those sizes are as follows:
1. They are both very common because they are standard sizes on other vehicles.
2. Because they are a common size there are many, many different brands available, including really cheap budget brands.
3. Because of number 2 above it enables them to offer wheels and tyre packages at low prices because they will supply the cheapest option they can.
4. Some of their reasoning on the website adds up. They are correctly load rated etc, but it really is about number 3 above.

I see from your post in another thread that you bought @T6180 wheels? They are only 8.5” wide and a 275/40 is a huge size for an 8.5” wide rim.

You have T30, so you need a load rating of 102. It is true that VW recommend a 275/35 for a 20” rim, but that is only based on it being the closest to standard tyre size circumference and up to T30 load rated.

You could run all sorts on your van with those wheels, but honestly, the 275/40 is oversized. Many people run them because loads of conversion companies etc promote them because it’s so easy to get hold of them cheaply.

To answer your question on tyre make/model I can recommend both Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, or Falken Azenis FK510. They both perform well and importantly are comparatively quiet.

As a suggestion, on 8.5 rims in the past I've run 245/45/20s these are 102Y load rated and would sit nice on the 8.5 rim. If there is no intention of going lower than 40mm then the 245/45 would offer a compromise between width and road comfort. However rolling radius is a big step up from say a 255/45/18 which is the standard sportline alloy/tyre combination sizing offered by VW. 255/35/20s are the same rolling radius as a 255/45/18 so no issues with speedo readings, but again, comfort would be the compromise albeit 255/35s have a 6mm sidewall increase from my 235/35s on a 8.5 rim. From experience, tyres can be a nightmare to get right and I must of bought at least half a dozen sets in the past 2yrs for a variety of wheels sizes and widths so don't rush into purchasing any until you are sure on what meets your needs, comfort, looks, practicality...my 235/35s look good to me (not all like it I'm sure) however I wince every time I see the slightest pot hole, I've curbed 3 of the 4 alloys and taking the family mountain biking scares me driving through the country park carparks and there is a lack of comfort compared to a 40/45 profile tyre
@andybanes - it was good to meet up with you this morning, this post may of confused you more and not been very helpful but what i'm trying to say is you need to consider how the van is being used and with the alloys at ET45 to wide a tyre would only rub on the inner arch liner. if it was me I'd go the 255/35.

Back