The wheels are now in gloss black. Getting nearish to a change of tyres, I would like a good chunky looking all rounder.
Must be a decent ride as the van is used to tow a large caravan and is a daily drive as well. Looking for some ideas please…
I love my Hankook R28e tyres. Pretty quite, great economy and comfort. Plus they do the 215 wide version which in my mind adds to the comfort over the 205 wide tyre options. Sticker on the door pillar says either is good for that rim (6.5j x 16 inch).
BlackCircles have them at £114 each at the minute.
I do spend a lot of time researching tyres when I need a set yet I’d be happy to just get these again. Seem to be lasting well too

Probably cheaper buying a new set of 16 inch claytons with tyres . There’s a few decent guys on the forum that sell them for a good price . Myself included. Roughly £250 - £300 should be the price

Probably cheaper buying a new set of 16 inch claytons with tyres . There’s a few decent guys on the forum that sell them for a good price . Myself included. Roughly £250 - £300 should be the price
I know what you mean. The price of delivery mileage wheel sets always amazes me. I keep looking as I still want 16” wheels just not the multi-apple version I have as they are a nightmare to clean. I just don’t like the look of the Hankook Vantra or Conti tyres they seem to come with - they always seem a compromise.
I could always swap tyres over but that’s a faff then I talk myself out of it all. After all clean wheels only get dirty again.

There’s also a fellow member selling 17 inch steel wheels with tyres, unsure of condition or mileage they have done . There £300 I think.

@Wavers
@WeaWar rides with BFG's on his black 16" Claytons & he's a happy chappy...

Thanks all , really helpful . What are BFGs ….Bridgestone something ?
is 215 as wide as I can go on the 16 inc rims. I’m trying to fill the wheel arch a bit more without swapping alloys. I’ve already spent a fair amount. Typical woman I want everything

Just over £300 is what I paid for a set of delivery mileage Devonports and tyres 3 years ago. Prices might have gone up since but I think those asking £500 for the same nowadays are being very optimistic.

I'm very happy with the Pirelli Carrier All Seasons I bought late last year.
Good handling and ride and resonably priced at £100.00 each from my local garage.

is 215 as wide as I can go on the 16 inc rims. I’m trying to fill the wheel arch a bit more without swapping alloys. I’ve already spent a fair amount. Typical woman I want everything
I’m no expert but I think of you go wider the handling might be a bit whack? A too wide tyre will create quite a bulge in the sidewall and you’ll start to lose stability. At least that’s how it works in mountain bikes! I’ve previously seem comments about getting tyres that’s are below speed rating or load rating and how this technically invalidates insurance. Not sure if that goes for widths too.
Best speak to a tyre seller really regarding sizes.
As for tyre reviews there is a good website called tyrereviews The chap that runs it is proper anal about tyres and conducts tests on YouTube as well as gathering motoring organisation and magazine reviews and user reviews.

BFG = BFGoodrich.

Hi there.

So I've got a T6 with camper conversion (beach style). It has OEM 16inch steels that I had sprayed black. I like the swamper look but want to be able to still carry a spare underneath, and also fit under 2m barriers. The total height is currently 193cm. Tyres are currently 205/65/R16 that came on the van, 2x Landsail LSV88 and 3x Hancock RA28E (2 of which need replacing).

So I need to replace 2 tyres, I'm wondering whether this is the time to replace 4 (or 5) and improve the look. I'd like the wheels to sit a bit wider as they look pretty small in the arches. And wouldn't mind a more rugged look, maybe more swamper without compromise for mostly road driving. Or at least something a bit chunkier perhaps. Is it good to use spacers? What sizes should I go for? The van is factory spec with no adjustments to the suspension. Also, I feel like the speedo is a little bit out, so not sure if it had different size wheels before, or if there's an adjustment for that.

Given that this subject has probably been covered many times, I'm hoping you might be able to offer some easy advice or recommendations.

Also, If anyone has any advice on what to do with the arch trims to keep them in keeping with the bumper let me know. Should they be lacquered, or sprayed matt black? They've faded quite a bit over the couple of years I've had them.

Thanks!

7D101237-3E13-44AB-B153-76F4C43DACC4.jpg

IMG_0597.jpeg

IMG_0670.jpeg

I have
Hi there.

So I've got a T6 with camper conversion (beach style). It has OEM 16inch steels that I had sprayed black. I like the swamper look but want to be able to still carry a spare underneath, and also fit under 2m barriers. The total height is currently 193cm. Tyres are currently 205/65/R16 that came on the van, 2x Landsail LSV88 and 3x Hancock RA28E (2 of which need replacing).

So I need to replace 2 tyres, I'm wondering whether this is the time to replace 4 (or 5) and improve the look. I'd like the wheels to sit a bit wider as they look pretty small in the arches. And wouldn't mind a more rugged look, maybe more swamper without compromise for mostly road driving. Or at least something a bit chunkier perhaps. Is it good to use spacers? What sizes should I go for? The van is factory spec with no adjustments to the suspension. Also, I feel like the speedo is a little bit out, so not sure if it had different size wheels before, or if there's an adjustment for that.

Given that this subject has probably been covered many times, I'm hoping you might be able to offer some easy advice or recommendations.

Also, If anyone has any advice on what to do with the arch trims to keep them in keeping with the bumper let me know. Should they be lacquered, or sprayed matt black? They've faded quite a bit over the couple of years I've had them.

Thanks!

View attachment 181969

View attachment 181970

View attachment 181971
I have been happy with Michelin LTX Trail...215/65/16...if your van is T28 or T30.
As for your wheel arches...Gtechnik C4 is great.

20221214_110140.jpg

OK great, thanks @Graham Jones @Gavinda Both tyres look like good options. And appreciate the advice on the Gtecknik C4, sound like just what I need.

I popped down to my local tyre place today. He reckons I could go up to 225/70/R16's, or at a push even 235/70/R16's. He said he's just fitted some General Grabbers for another van, and I know they're v popular, and look great, just mixed ratings for road use etc.

OK great, thanks @Graham Jones @Gavinda Both tyres look like good options. And appreciate the advice on the Gtecknik C4, sound like just what I need.

I popped down to my local tyre place today. He reckons I could go up to 225/70/R16's, or at a push even 235/70/R16's. He said he's just fitted some General Grabbers for another van, and I know they're v popular, and look great, just mixed ratings for road use etc.
I'm running the 235/70R16 and they look awesome. Though still haven't figured out if I can fit the spare in the spare wheel carrier yet. I've heard the 225/70R16 definitely fit no issues.

My tyre guy says the BFG 235 65 16 would be too wide for the 16" standard steels... But a lot seem to use them, anyone got an alternative?

My tyre guy says the BFG 235 65 16 would be too wide for the 16" standard steels... But a lot seem to use them, anyone got an alternative?
You would probably need to have at least a 7" wide wheel for that tyre, and it would probably need to be offset to about 35et so they don't rub.

I went with an 8" wide rim with a 20et offset. I don't recommend getting what I got though unless you're planning on getting some fender flares as they will stick out a bit past the fender.

You can see some photos of it here.

I had Grabbers on a Discovery, horrible tyres. Noisy, fuel heavy & wouldn’t stop in the wet.
My current T6 4mot has Pirelli all seasons which have been fine. No problem tackling Alpine snow & hot Portuguese dust. My next tyres will be Michelin cross climates. They weren’t available when I put the Pirellis on.
A decent set of all season tyres will do all you ask of them.

Back