20ET offset with plastic-arch mouldings?

Bluephantom

T6.1 SWB 4motion Panel Van
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know what you thought.
I saw this youtube video:
and thought these Fuel Vector 16" x 8" +20ET rims would look awesome on my van.
d8f2e2e7-746b-4c4b-b4b1-36361d0189cc.png
I requested a quote from my local tyre dealership and they told me these rims wouldn't fit my vehicle because of the +20ET offset, and if I did put them on I'd eventually get pulled over and get pinged for it.

My current setup is the stock 205/65R16 tyres with the 16" x 6.5" steel rims with the +51ET offset. I did a measurement and it looks like the distance to the outside edge of the fender is 29mm on the front wheels.

How thick are those ABS plastic wheel fender flares that I notice many in the Swamper community seem to have? How much extra playroom would they give me? They don't look like they add much width.

I have changed to a similar off-road style wheel at 8”x17” ET35 235/65/17 no issues , van is lowered slightly at 35-40mm approx. full camper conversion if that helps

Willtheyfit website has a great calculator

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I wanted to know what you thought.
I saw this youtube video:
and thought these Fuel Vector 16" x 8" +20ET rims would look awesome on my van.
View attachment 178482
I requested a quote from my local tyre dealership and they told me these rims wouldn't fit my vehicle because of the +20ET offset, and if I did put them on I'd eventually get pulled over and get pinged for it.

My current setup is the stock 205/65R16 tyres with the 16" x 6.5" steel rims with the +51ET offset. I did a measurement and it looks like the distance to the outside edge of the fender is 29mm on the front wheels.

How thick are those ABS plastic wheel fender flares that I notice many in the Swamper community seem to have? How much extra playroom would they give me? They don't look like they add much width.
There’s a similar thread that discusses ET20 being too severe - here’s a link
If you click on the this tag then you might find a bit more info on how much the arch-extensions add to overall width, but as you have alluded to, I don’t think they’ll add much.
I’ve retitled the thread to try and get you a bit more attention!

There’s a similar thread that discusses ET20 being too severe - here’s a link
If you click on the this tag then you might find a bit more info on how much the arch-extensions add to overall width, but as you have alluded to, I don’t think they’ll add much.
I’ve retitled the thread to try and get you a bit more attention!
Yeah, I did go through all those posts. Still wasn't able to find the information I was looking for.

After doing multiple measurements of my fenders and stock wheels and spent hours on wheel size calculators and offset calculators.

I've concluded if my calculations are correct. Without the wheel arch covers with this wheel and the tyres I want to run I should be still within the fender on the rear and 1mm over on the front.

Anyway I thought screw it.... this is the wheel I thought looked the best so I ordered them. Plus they had a discount running at the moment. Should have them by the end of the week.

I have also ordered the wheel arch covers but apparently there is a delay.

Anyway I'll post pictures and true measurements once they're on.

I have changed to a similar off-road style wheel at 8”x17” ET35 235/65/17 no issues , van is lowered slightly at 35-40mm approx. full camper conversion if that helps

Willtheyfit website has a great calculator
Can you fit your spare wheel in the stock spare carrier?

Ok, so I got the wheels installed today.

My before and after:
1670822765998.png 1670822866451.png

205/65R16 >>> 235/70R16
Stock steel >>> Fuel Vector 8"x16" ET20

So with this offset my calculations were about right more or less. It does stick out past the fender by about 5mm on the rear and approx. 15mm at the front.

I don't have the wheel arch covers yet, so I'm not sure whether that thickness will be enough on its own to keep me out of trouble. I'm hoping it will but if not I've got two options:
1. Get some rubber stick on flares to add that extra width I need.
2. Or get the wheels machined down by 5 - 10mm to keep them in the wheel arch covers.

In saying this the amount of utes I see driving around with their wheels sticking out by 30 - 50mm beyond their wheel arches are is like 1 in 5. If they aren't getting busted the likelihood that I do is pretty low.

Some photos on how much the wheels stick out.

1670824580334.png 1670824627786.png

Like I said it's about 15mm on the front and 5mm at the rear. But I had to use a spirit level and a tape measure to work that out.

Reactions: MrD
I got the wheel arch covers on. And they give you about 5mm of extra width. So my rear wheels are fine but the front wheels still stick out a bit by approximately 10mm. Though it does seem less obvious now.

1672689709952.png1672689769944.png

Thanks for the update.

I'm thinking of getting the similar setup like your or 2nd option like this guy (below pic) using 245/65R17 and the offset are 30mm positive.

Which bring it back by 10mm from yours but add 5mm (235>245), Seem pretty close to the limit.

Also KO2 235/70R16 735mm no rubbing at full lock and articulation ? No lift ?

t6.png
I got the wheel arch covers on. And they give you about 5mm of extra width. So my rear wheels are fine but the front wheels still stick out a bit by approximately 10mm. Though it does seem less obvious now.

View attachment 183943View attachment 183944

245/65R17 are a massive tyre, I think you'll have problems with gearing and going up hills especially if you have a standard 2 litre 102-140 engine

245/65R17 are a massive tyre, I think you'll have problems with gearing and going up hills especially if you have a standard 2 litre 102-140 engine
Ahh copy, dimension is 750mm(245/17/65) and 735mm (235/16/70). Guess every mm counts.

Is TDI400 146kW 4motion.

So the law in Queensland is that you can't have more than a 25mm lift from your tyres with an engineering certification done on your vehicle. The 235/70/R16 is technically a 23mm lift from the largest plated stock tyre. And yes you need to recalibrate your speedo and the spare won't fit in the stock spare wheel carrier.

I meant to say 'without' an engineering certification.... not 'with'. but you guys know what I mean.

Reactions: CAB
Back