Transporter + Caravan - keep having to get pulled off sites

lummy

just got my t6 with the intention of having it converted into a camper but in between this are using it as a tow van for our small caravan . last two sites we have visited we have had to be pulled off the camp field . now i am not new to caravaning but have never had it this bad and its getting embarrassing . my tyre size is 205 65 16 . have been looking at a set of general grabber at3 235 55 18 and steel rims and shelving the originals till its time to sell the van but would this help as they look the business but the van is still only 2WD .
all and any advise would be appreciated

Shaun

What tyres do you have now, and how much tread ?

Pete

Tyre, tyres tyres.... My Mrs drove our T5 onto a school field. It wasn't muddy when she drove on it, but a bit wet.

It got stuck... nothing would move it. New Tyres fitted... Michelin Cross Climate 2. What a difference, we've had the van 4 years + (i think) and never had a problem since the new tyres were fitted.

Good luck.

general grabber at3 235 55 18 and steel rims
Even on a 2WD van you'll get a lot more traction on a wet field than your existing tyres.
You could get some General Grabber AT tyres for your existing 16" wheels and save a few quid, but the 18" wheels and tyres will have a bigger footprint and you can, and should, run them at lower pressure.

just got my t6 with the intention of having it converted into a camper but in between this are using it as a tow van for our small caravan . last two sites we have visited we have had to be pulled off the camp field . now i am not new to caravaning but have never had it this bad and its getting embarrassing . my tyre size is 205 65 16 . have been looking at a set of general grabber at3 235 55 18 and steel rims and shelving the originals till its time to sell the van but would this help as they look the business but the van is still only 2WD .

Shaun
Are you talking towed off with the caravan attached ?
I was the manager of a 25 acre touring park, and I can tell you, you're not towing a caravan off a muddy field with anything other than a 4WD from a standing start.

It's the tyres and grip.

4WD with bad tyre choices just gives you 4 ways to spin a wheel and lose the power not 2.

Old trick I used to use with SAABs when I was towing is reversing. Tends to throw the weight over the driven front wheels better and can get you out of a bad patch to better ground to have another go.

Towed the event trailer (and other folks) out of many muddy fields with the XC70, but being older AWD you can feel when the Haldex goes in so I know most of the times it was mostly front wheel power. The Cross Climates do the business if you're careful with the torque. The original Pirelli Scorpion (and later Verde) tyres that they had on as stock were not so good and tended to result in a spin fest.

Not taken the Caravelle anywhere challenging yet, and likely won't untill the OEM tyres are worn enough I can justify moving to Cross Climates.

Last edited:

Shaun

A problem with the 205/65/16 standard tyres is that the rubber is so hard and the pressure quite high, so they’re terrible on wet grass. Did it myself the first winter I had mine. I use 16” Mud & Snow tyres in the winter now and it’s great on the slippy stuff.

IMG_2711.jpeg

Are you talking towed off with the caravan attached ?
I was the manager of a 25 acre touring park, and I can tell you, you're not towing a caravan off a muddy field with anything other than a 4WD from a stand

A problem with the 205/65/16 standard tyres is that the rubber is so hard and the pressure quite high, so they’re terrible on wet grass. Did it myself the first winter I had mine. I use 16” Mud & Snow tyres in the winter now and it’s great on the slippy stuff.

View attachment 219946
hi Spaghetti
out of interest what tyres and size did you opt for
shaun

hi Spaghetti
out of interest what tyres and size did you opt for
shaun
Hi, they were already fitted to a set of steelies I bought from a forum member, but drive really well. Put 1000 miles on them in a week last winter.

Jinyu WinterPro 215/65/16

I’ll put the Continentals back on around March.

IMG_6109.jpeg

IMG_6110.jpeg

Last edited:
All in the tyres! Plus how and where your try and tow on grass. My caravan is 1800kg and I’ve never been stuck simply by not trying to go on any sort of slope when it’s wet.

IMG_0997.jpeg

thanks all for your input in the end i have decided to stay with the 16" claytons and go for a set of 215 65 16 T Michalin Agilis Cross Climate 109T .
reason was wanted good all weather grip and got to be better than the Hankook on the slippy stuff . 215 65 16 are a standard tyre size for the transporter so dont have to start a conversation with the insurance about the swap and the speedo going from 205 to 215 is actually closer than before well accordin to the sat nav .

I have moved to Agilis Cross Climates as well, as we were constantly getting stuck on wet grass / mud with the standard tyres and it was embarrassing.

Never has such issues with my old Octavia FWD so likewise assumed it was down to the tyres.

Have not used the new tyres in anger yet, but I haven't been stuck either.

Hopefully I didn't make a huge mistake not going 4MOTION!

tempImageoo5EkW.png

@TJH1985. I'd be very interested in how the Cross Climates perform on your van as they're likely to be my choice when I come to change tyres, probably next year (based on the experience of using them on my Q5, albeit, that's 4WD). My van originally had 16" Clayton's with the original Hankooks on them and they were totally and utterly useless on grass when it was even just slightly damp. The current Devonport / Continental Contivan combo is a bit better not by much.

I’ll report back in a month or so, they have a little more road noise but actually ride better than the Bridgestones I had on previously and look way better given their chunky nature.

I actually have them on a spare set of wheels, but on reflection should have just had a single set and used them all year.

Back