Thank you.

But functionality wise, fine? Not much beyond the already exploded plug and play plus maybe a coding tweak?

I am only really fussed about making night time driving safer
Don't forget, you will have to buy a complete set of bulbs with these, so not a straight comparison.

Patience young Chris! Put the "H4 to H7 upgrade" thread on watch.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned about why they need coding, but with H4's when you switch to main beam, dipped beam goes out. As you probably know, H4 bulbs have separate filaments for dipped and main beam. If both are lit together, the bulb will get too hot and go pop. The H7 lights have a bulb in each dipped and main beam chamber meaning that they can both be lit at the same time. 'Switching' them so that dipped and main beam can work together is a simple tick box with VCDS or similar.

They will work when you plug them in as is, but dipped will turn off when you activate main beam, so best to get it done.

Is this something easily sortable (I have no kit for this) so presumably an auto engineer (having a running battle currently re: rear dash cam!!)

Further to @dubber36 's explanation, with H7's on high beam only, there is a distinct dark area directly infront of the van which can be disconcerting. Coding low beam to come on with high beam gets rid of that issue.....

In note someone in the ‘watching eBay thread for h7’s’ had said not seen any since august?

Should I instead just take the plunge in £250 pair. I know this is over what others have paid but conscious if limited stock etc etc. I am pretty relaxed as a rule but I am very keen to sort this ‘danger’ issue as I drive a lot at night and H4’s I may as well have a head torch on!!

Reactions: CAB
In note someone in the ‘watching eBay thread for h7’s’ had said not seen any since august?

Should I instead just take the plunge in £250 pair. I know this is over what others have paid but conscious if limited stock etc etc. I am pretty relaxed as a rule but I am very keen to sort this ‘danger’ issue as I drive a lot at night and H4’s I may as well have a head torch on!!
As I said, widen your search wording to pick up poorly titled adverts. It took me 30 secs to find a pair in Sutton Coldfield for £130. There are others too.

IMG_6489.png

Is this something easily sortable (I have no kit for this) so presumably an auto engineer (having a running battle currently re: rear dash cam!!)
I’d recommend buying Carista from Amazon for £35. If you can wait it is regularly on sale for nearer £20 (I paid £17). You then need to sign up for the free Beta testing (it’s wasn’t in the full paid version last time I tried) and it can be coded that way (a simple change from off to on). Carista is really useful to have for the inevitable issues you will have in the future and checking to see what the failure code is plus monitoring (and forcing if required) DPF regens.

Carista - Amazon

Coding the H7s is simply making them work as designed and as they do on T6s that have them fitted as standard.

Guy confirmed NOT h7, search continues!!
I’m pretty sure they are H7. The side light is inside the dipped bulb. The main beam lens is not dimpled. Possibly a good example of someone who doesn’t know what they have and the worth of it. Get them to send you a pic of the label.

Reactions: CAB
Back