Hi, If you get a straight edge and put it across your wheel arches say (150mm ish down from the top of the arch), and measure back to your tyre you should find that around 25mm(or 30mm) on the fronts, and upto 40mm on the rear. I went for 25mm all round on 235 tyres,
It really is worth getting some good hub-centric TUV approved spacers, I went for HR, but there are others.
Just think about your bolts, their heads and re-using your plastic body head covers. It is hard to find 19mm bolt heads with the correct seating, and a VW wobble collar. If you don't have those, re-using your covers is tricky (if you are even bothered). With the larger (thicker) spacers you can reuse your old bolt, as the spacer bolts to the hub using supplied countersunk bolt heads. Then your wheel bolts to hub(cast in inserts to take bolts). For the 30mm+ fine, for 25mm spacers you may ned to cut a couple of mm of your existing bolts' thread, if you wish to use them. I think you will be pleased with the look. It is a big big improvement. Just be mindful going around left hand corners; you will probably clip the kerb, to start with.:):):)

Hi. Is this 25mm each corner ? @chriscroft any pics????

for some reason most if not all wheels stick out more on the front than the rear
even thou the ET of the wheels are the same
look at you ET on your old wheels
then try buy something with a similar or smaller ET then the spacers will be thinner
doesnt really matter but check first before you buy
i find spacers need to be 10-15 mm wider on the rear

Hi. Is this 25mm each corner ? @chriscroft any pics????
IMG_3695.JPG IMG_2709.JPG IMG_2713.JPG IMG_3707.JPG
Just gone through some old photos, but not sure how well it shows the spacer effect.
All photos have 235 wide tyres on Devonports, the silver wheels have 235/60/17; the two tone grey wheels have 235/55/17 tyres with 25mm spacer on each wheel.
You can go up to 40mm on each rear wheel, but the looks move from OEM, to Aftermarket imo, and whilst I keep tweaking the Van, I want it to look like VW could have done it, as much as possible.
I prefer the overall look with the 235/60/17 tyres, so I think I'll swap them over to the two tone grey Devonports.:)

Last edited:
View attachment 9263 View attachment 9264 View attachment 9265 View attachment 9266
Just gone through some old photos, but not sure how wheel it shows the spacer effect.
All photos have 235 wide tyres on Devonports, the silver wheels have 235/60/17; the two tone grey wheels have 235/55/17 tyres with 25mm spacer on each wheel.
You can go up to 40mm on each rear wheel, but the looks move from OEM, to Aftermarket imo, and whilst I keep tweaking the Van, I want it to look like VW could have done it, as much as possible.
I prefer the overall look with the 235/60/17 tyres, so I think I'll swap them over to the two tone grey Devonports.:)
@chriscroft for me the Devonports with the spacers is the more pleasing look, but the others look good but with the after-market look given only by the rims. Nice mod that is restrained but very effective :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Thanks @chriscroft for the photos. I think I will go with h&r 25mm spacers for the rear 1st to see how it looks

That should be ok for the rear but maybe not for the front
Put both spacers on one side of the van then you can see for yourself
I think you will need 15mm normal spacers on the front and just longer bolts

You're probably right. Where's best place to get 19mm longer bolts so can still put cover caps on

View attachment 9263 View attachment 9264 View attachment 9265 View attachment 9266
Just gone through some old photos, but not sure how well it shows the spacer effect.
Very Many Apologies, I have managed to construct an appauling paragraph which is completely misleading.:cry::cry::cry:
All 4 photos show all the wheels with 25mm spacers.
The darker coloured wheels are powder coated devonports with a two tone grey and silver fleek effect, with a standard 235/55/17 tyre with a 25mm spacer
The standard devonports have a 235/60/17 tyre (about 11mm increase in radius; 3% increase in rolling circumference), with a 25mm spacer

Back