What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Finished the rib at last. Fitted a Vanshades blind. Installed the passenger side table that came with the Evo kitchen. Bit disappointed it didn't come with a pivot to fold flat but it will do for now.
Next job is to fit the remaining furniture and then tackle the reverse camera cable run.

PXL_20231208_160405959.jpg

Feckin Pothole is what I've done to the van :(:mad:

IMG-20231209-WA0007-01.jpeg

One hell of a bang and everything flying around the van, half a mile later pressure warning and the dreaded THWAP THWAP THWAP...

Decided not to risk the scissor jack and got VW Assist out, also so they could check for any obvious damage. Did get the spare out ready though so they were done in about 10 minutes - surprisingly rusty steel wheel for MY21 van...

20231209_202812.JPG

Impact marks on rim, hopefully not damaged the wheel. Damage to tyre sidewall though.

20231209_203033.JPG

Not it's normal location..

Went back to find the damn thing in case I need to take it further. It's on the main carriageway but hard to spot in the dark as it's right at the end of one of those muddy verge passing spots.

Didn't want to hang about as bit of a blind bend behind, the only thing I had for reference was the deicer, later measured to 6 inches.

I guess that explains the bang o_O

DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG
20231209_204611.JPG

So got Part 2 sorted today. Connected it all up started the engine and it only worked!! Rookie mistake though and now I have an airbag warning on. Can you see what the problem was!! I found out with a search on this magnificent forum
1000013987.jpg

Fitted a Victron 275A isolation switch to my Roamer 230SB.
Should of done it when I did the initial install, but didn‘t think it was necessary.
Have since had problems charging the starter battery; the increased charge voltage was enabling the “engine run” signal and triggering my REDARC DC-DC into charging the leisure battery, so I was taking more current from the starter than I was supplying which wasn’t going to do the starter battery any good.

PXL_20231210_145906062.NIGHT.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpegIMG_1328.jpegIMG_1081.jpeg

A change of direction, due to a change in how I use the van…

• Removed the EcoFlow Delta (this is now for sale in classifieds)
  • Removed changeover switch from solar to ignition live
  • Removed rear speaker footboard and back board around the base of the Kombi bench
  • Disconnected rear 13a 3 pin sockets
  • Removed pod storage unit
  • Relocated Kombi bench from row 3 back to factory position in row 2
  • Removed table and cranked leg (also now for sale)
  • Refitted load lashing points where pod storage unit was fixed
  • Dismantled pod storage unit (tambour doors for sale too)
Main use of the van is my daily driver and this hasn’t changed, but we just haven’t been using it for getting changed in the back after walking, weren’t eating lunch in the back as it is too much of a faff to climb in the back, get the table out, swivel the seat round, grovel about on hands and knees making drinks - instead the last few months we have just been sitting in the cab to eat, haven’t been using the camping kettle or Velvetiser plugged into the inverter either and instead have been buying drinks. The passenger swivel base I sold the other day.

So I’ve gone back to basics, removed all the faff and it’s now a factory Kombi again.

I will be installing a modest leisure battery and DC charger under the seat - only to run a couple of USB sockets and the Wi-Fi hotspot.

Might also explore options for pod units between the front single seats that have some sort of table.

At this point you could argue I should be dailying a car but I love my van and couldn’t think of anything else I’d rather drive - it is so versatile

Last edited:
So all cables finally run. 12v in rear both sides and 240v run to o/s for a couple of sockets. Added an Anderson connector for charging off 240v if needed. Knackered but feeling really accomplished that I haven't paid for someone to do it. Insulation and carpet lining tomorrow. The story continues.....
1000014006.jpg1000014007.jpg

Not exactly what I did, but what Carl from Detail Thugga in Fenton did.

After some rather nasty swirl marks were inflicted by the VW dealer, it's had a single-stage polish and looks pretty bloody awesome. If you need a good detailing and are in that part of the country I can highly recommend Carl.

It's just a shame I had to drive it home in the piddling rain and made it dirty again.

Shiny-2.jpg

Back