T6 SWB Build Log

HerdyT6

What’s up everyone. Im Johnny from Lancaster, I’ve had my T6 for just over a year, here’s the journey.

2016 SWB T28 Startline, 102bhp, candy white, 110,000 miles

Found the van on eBay in Feb 2023 over in the North East, about 2 hours away from where I live

IMG_1705.png

Went to visit & test drive, no red flags. Very clean. The styling was a little janky and not to my taste but wasn’t too bothered at this stage - the van was priced well.

IMG_1707.jpeg

Did the deal and brought the van home obligatory stop at Tebay farm services for celebratory lunch on the way home.

IMG_4802.jpeg

On the drive home I was shocked how rubbish the factory speakers are.

Front brakes were shot, suspension was sitting too high and the speakers needed upgrading so I ordered everything when possible. Alpine door speakers and pillar tweeters, front discs and pads, vogtland lowering springs as well as a front bumper & roof bars from Leighton and a pair of sequential LED indicators I found cheap somewhere, I think it was VeeDub or HQ.

Waiting for these to arrive I kept myself busy with a small paint job on the grill trims. The colour is Audi Mars red, from the 80’s Quattro.

IMG_1708.jpeg

Everything else came a few days later, so on the weekend it was off with the old and on with the new. I gave all the suspension bolts a soaking with rust release a few days before doing the job, made for a little less aggro.

IMG_1709.jpeg

New brakes on, springs fitted, speakers in, roof bars and new bumper & side repeaters on. What a difference.

IMG_1711.jpeg

The van stayed like this for a good few months now whilst we spent time enjoying it and using it. During this time I had the timing belt & water pump changed.

Next up was changing the floor to camper spec ready for a rock and roll bed to be fitted. Couldn’t afford both the bed and the kitchen units at the same time, decided on bed first so we could overnight, and the kitchen can be done further down the line.

IMG_1712.jpeg
IMG_1713.jpeg
IMG_1714.jpeg
IMG_1715.jpeg
IMG_1716.jpeg
IMG_1717.jpeg

Final floor is Herringbone vinyl from B&Q. The gank over the back step when the trim is off I can only think is old spilled trade paint.

Rock & Roll bed from Lusso Campers in Bradford the following week.

IMG_1718.png

Once this was in, made a temporary utility wall using leftover ply from the floor and some Ikea pegboards with elasticated straps to secure things.

IMG_1719.jpeg

The van stayed like this for a few months whilst we continued to use it. Enjoyed a trip to Cornwall in August.

IMG_1720.jpeg

Next up was Kitchen time. Went for the middle ground and ordered a reasonably priced kitchen from CustomShopDesigns. Dubious as I couldn’t find much about them online but I have to say everything was spot on. Whilst I was waiting for this to be delivered I fitted a leisure battery underneath the drivers seat, with a fuse board, and wired it all up.

Kitchen in, ready for appliances
IMG_1724.jpeg

SMEV hob and sink fitted. I decided not to go for a fridge due to the cooldown times required for it to be useful, instead opted for a Yeti cool box which doubles up as a very handy seat when sitting at the hob/sink. Have to say, I’m blown away with the Yeti. It kept ice frozen for 3 days, fits nicely into the fridge recess and even managed to get it in the colour that matches the kitchen. It was a display model with a few scratches so a little was knocked of the price.

IMG_1811.jpeg

What do people do for storing the folding leg table?

IMG_1707.png

IMG_1708.png

IMG_1809.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure why some of the pics have repeated at the bottom, can’t seem to get rid of them

Anyway, next up

Had seen the bonnet light strip in a video somewhere and decided to go ahead and do it. Very easy to fit and wire in.

IMG_1722.jpeg

Another recent change I’ve made is re-painting the grill trims. I wanted to do something a little more unique this time, cue the drill and some metallic paint.

IMG_1723.jpeg

And this brings me to where I’m currently up to with the project. Aside from routine maintenance there isn’t much more I’m looking to do in the mean time. Perhaps a swivel base for the passenger bench a few 12v appliances.

I guess the more we use the van the more we will find things need adding and tweaking to make life easier and more convenient.

Gotta say the process of converting a van into a camper isn’t actually that complex when you get down to it. I found the more I read online the more confusing things became with so much conflicting advice, sometimes best to just use common sense and basic instructions.

Back