What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Bought the 2022 Carlinkit 4.0 wireless Carplay. I can confirm it works with Android (Samsung S20 Ultra). Installation is a doddle as it comes with a USB C to USB A cable to plug straight into the App Connect socket. A quick pair with the phone and it links up to the head unit. There is a bit of lag when selecting icons on the screen but I can live with that.
On start-up when you get back in the van it does take 30sec or so to link and start back up before spotify or maps initiates but again that's a price I can pay for going cordless.
Amazon had the best price at £96 so shop around and make sure you get the 2022 version.

20220817_130914.jpg

20220817_124659.jpg

20220817_125853.jpg

20220817_125900.jpg

20220817_125948.jpg

20220817_130017.jpg

20220817_124712.jpg

Not my van, but had a day off to go and help a mate with his stranded Audi Q7 with a multitude of faults. No start, Christmas tree of dash lights etc.
VCDS said No communication with TCM (transmission control module)
He was on his way back to the UK from his House in France when it went into limp mode, stuck in 2nd gear. Managed to get it back to their flat on the Cotswolds, where it then failed to start again.

After lots of stripping down did some testing, the Module has 2 power feeds in the module plug, both dead, but just one wire at the fuse end, which was live.
We tracked the fault back to a failed splice in the loom under the driver's footwell carpet (that had got wet due to blocked AC condense drain) that caused the joint to corrode and fail, therefore no power to get to the module.

1660750265289.png

Last edited:
fitted new rear brake pads, what a ball ache trying to put the van on axel stands, if only they had 2 jacking points it would be so much easier. Clearly VW assumed everyone would have a hydraulic lift
Any tips? I want to install a diesel heater, and had considered ramps but none of the 3 tonne ramps look sturdy enough. So considered a jack and axle stands from Halfords, but after reading your post wonder if it might be better to go back to ramps?
Any tips on how to do it?

@Mic71 I love the dash of the new T6.1. did the LCD screen on the dash come as standard on the Sportline? Looks great!

I have a 2017 T6 Shuttle SE and it doesn't have half the gadgets my 2012 Passat SE has, which is poor. Even the key is the same as my 2002 Passat! ☹️

@Mic71 I love the dash of the new T6.1. did the LCD screen on the dash come as standard on the Sportline? Looks great!

I have a 2017 T6 Shuttle SE and it doesn't have half the gadgets my 2012 Passat SE has, which is poor. Even the key is the same as my 2002 Passat! ☹️
Yes the dash is standard.
Pretty Highley specced for a van..
No performance upgrades over a standard van though :(
I must say though that the coil over suspension on the one I have makes it a pleasure to drive..

Any tips? I want to install a diesel heater, and had considered ramps but none of the 3 tonne ramps look sturdy enough. So considered a jack and axle stands from Halfords, but after reading your post wonder if it might be better to go back to ramps?
Ironically it took longer faffing around to jack it up than to change the pads on the first side!

In the end I did some searching on here and put an axle stand under where the wishbone meets the van nearer the centre, however I didn't remove the Jack. The axle stand was more for added protection in case the jack failed. some good ideas here: Jacking Points And Axle Stands

This is the video

could try this video method above wish Id gone for that!

Installed a temporary floor in mid section of Kombi to get if flat for camper mode… just hate those raised seat fixings when the seats are out.
It’ll just lift out when I need the seats back in.
Just need a bit of Al angle for the step edge , to save me tripping on the rdge of the rubber mat, then I can start to position the loo & fridge fixings…
FYI… to get the hole positions I cut the lower piece of floor (I had to use 5.5mm & 9mm ply to get the height just right) then with it in place I stamped all over it to indent the lower face; seems to have worked out ok.

40A1A63D-66EE-4993-9166-37362A22F2C2.jpeg1713404E-6717-48E8-8DF3-7988269255D4.jpegED44429F-B986-4AA1-88F2-091EBAA95251.jpeg

@Rids My knees would love that !! I bought an off cut of carpet to cover the middle ones in my shuttle.
My knees are already thanking me!

As for the stuff going in; many more options are available when you don’t have to avoid those lumpy seat fittings…
But I do need to be able to fit the seats to take family esp granddaughter in the van, so they’ll have to stay.

Back