TV’s, their Locations and Setups.

Thanks for this - we have always been "no TV" when camping or on other holidays. However, now we seem to be having lots of shorter breaks we have been bending to the pressure of a teenager and considering getting a TV as a backup - £80 (using your discount code) has won the argument - just ordered via Amazon.
Yeah for £80 you can't really go wrong

I also have the same TV for the van, a DTV905, it lives permanently on the back of the drivers headrest.
I was sceptical given its small size but its really good, clear sound, clear picture, and the battery lasts ages.
It really helps when its raining and my granddaughter Chloe is in an 'I'm bored' phase ;)
The review didnt really emphasise the practicality of the USB socket - I have mine and my lads entire DVD collection
on a flush-mount stick permanently installed in the TV. Being flush-mount means it doesnt stick out & get caught,
and of course there are no DVDs to carry/lose/manhandle. Like most indoor whip-aerials, the one supplied is
almost useless unless you have a very strong signal, but with a proper aerial its as sensitive as any typical TV.
By chance I also have a Logic TV at home and the software is identical to the August.
Incidentally the reviewer mentions HDMI in & out - its not, its out-only.
Another thing - the external power input is 9v so dont connect it straight to your leisure battery!

Really good points, thanks

I also have the same TV for the van, a DTV905, it lives permanently on the back of the drivers headrest.
I was sceptical given its small size but its really good, clear sound, clear picture, and the battery lasts ages.
It really helps when its raining and my granddaughter Chloe is in an 'I'm bored' phase ;)
The review didnt really emphasise the practicality of the USB socket - I have mine and my lads entire DVD collection
on a flush-mount stick permanently installed in the TV. Being flush-mount means it doesnt stick out & get caught,
and of course there are no DVDs to carry/lose/manhandle. Like most indoor whip-aerials, the one supplied is
almost useless unless you have a very strong signal, but with a proper aerial its as sensitive as any typical TV.
By chance I also have a Logic TV at home and the software is identical to the August.
Another thing - the external power input is 9v so dont connect it straight to your leisure battery!

View attachment 21879
Do you have link for the mount you are using? Thanks.

Hi Dave, this is the one but I think you could make a better one, its safe but not as rigid as I'd like.
I had to reverse the headrest clamps to get the TV nearer to the headrest and it needs tightening up
now & then. I dont think it would break in normal use, its fine but a stronger frame would be better.
As it happens I accidentally bought two so I have a spare should the threads strip or whatever.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Dave, this is the one but I think you could make a better one, its safe but not as rigid as I'd like.
I had to reverse the headrest clamps to get the TV nearer to the headrest and it needs tightening up
now & then. I dont think it would break in normal use, its fine but a stronger frame would be better.
As it happens I accidentally bought two so I have a spare should the threads strip or whatever.
Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil. We tend to have the drivers seat permanently tilted forward on site to allow the outer fridge door to open - can you still get a watchable angle on the screen like that?

I thought it just worth mentioning a little product you can buy from Amazon called Elgato Eye TV which is a little plug in device for an iPad or iPhone which turns it into a TV.
I was really surprised just how good it was and, in my humble opinion, well worth £59 but it’s only as good as the signal so would suggest you also get one of those magnetic aerials.

The DTV905 has a good viewing angle from the sides and below (ie looking up to it) but less so from the top looking down on it
so its best if its angled slightly backwards as it would be on its built-in prop-stand.
Here is the mount I used, note the reversed clamps to bring the TV nearer to the headrest. It is fully adjustable for angle (lateral and vertical) and for levelling:

IMG_20180507_113237481.jpg

IMG_20180507_113326460_HDR.jpg

You can see the (almost) flush-mount USB stick containing all my DVDs (use 'Winxdvd Pro' ripper)

Re the Birchover fridge, I just habitually slide the drivers seat forward a bit as I get out, I find I never need to swivel it so the headrest is ideal for the TV in my case
afro.gif

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
We used our Cello (hooked up to a wifi dongle) for the kids at night. At home they get to watch a couple of Peter Rabbit's before bed, so when we are away in the bus we can keep the same routines, 2 programmes and then go to sleep.

It worked really well, and it was a great distraction when we unpack/pack so that they don't keep asking if they can help or if it's ready yet. :laugh:

Camping TV has been added to the 'must have' list.

Mine arrived today - seems excellent for the £80 paid!! The supplied antenna seems to work fine in my kitchen at home and out on the drive at home so might stick with it to see how it works at various sites before investing in something better - if I do need to find something else is the DTA245 suggested above going to be sufficient?

Last edited:
Ok I weakened and just ordered one, the problem we have with our old 12inch tv is the viewing angle - you can only see the picture straight on, move to the left/right/stand up and the picture disappears so........
Those who have already received their set please can you let me know how this copes so if it’s the same I can cancel before Amazon deliver.
Many thanks

...the problem we have with our old 12inch tv is the viewing angle - you can only see the picture straight on, move to the left/right/stand up and the picture disappears so........
Those who have already received their set please can you let me know how this copes so if it’s the same I can cancel before Amazon deliver.
Many thanks
Its pretty good Nigel...
The DTV905 has a good viewing angle from the sides and below (ie looking up to it) but less so from the top looking down on it so its best if its angled slightly backwards as it would be on its built-in prop-stand.

Re the aerial, the DT245 is noticeably better and the TV has a convenient USB to power it, but I have my doubts
whether it would be any good out in the sticks. A lot depends on your height, terrain, surrounding woodland, weather etc.
All you can do is try it!
Back in the day a good analogue TV would sync to a really poor signal/noise and you could watch a poor,
snowy picture quite happily, but DTV is just infuriating when the signal is poor!

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Its pretty good Nigel...

Re the aerial, the DT245 is noticeably better and the TV has a convenient USB to power it, but I have my doubts
whether it would be any good out in the sticks. A lot depends on your height, terrain, surrounding woodland, weather etc.
All you can do is try it!
Back in the day a good analogue TV would sync to a really poor signal/noise and you could watch a poor,
snowy picture quite happily, but DTV is just infuriating when the signal is poor!

Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil, I have a little wired in powered signal amplifier and in bad areas an aerial I can clamp to the bike rack but having said that we rarely watch TV unless it’s wet and miserable. (Which last year was almost every trip).
Hope this year the TV will stay in its box!

I also have the same TV for the van, an August DTV905, it lives permanently on the back of the drivers headrest.
The review didnt really emphasise the practicality of the USB socket - I have mine, my lads and Chloe's entire DVD collections
pretty useless unless you have a very strong signal, but with a proper aerial its as sensitive as any typical TV.
August do a range of portable antennas - mine is the DTA245 amplified, better than the supplied aerial
but still no match for a proper yagi.

View attachment 21879
How are you powering this if you cant connect to your leisure battery ?

Back