Transporterhq (thq) Aftermarket Replacement Headlights

Discussion in 'Electrics, Lighting, ICE, Security' started by drew_greenday, 30 Aug 2017.

1. drew_greenday

drew_greenday Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Had few e-mails to TransporterHQ about their new lights. Sounds as though the headlight themselves will be H1 and H7 with the DRL obviously being LED. I imagine this has something to do with the auto levelling the Led needs? It will also be dearer than the OEM H7 headhunt. I reckon I'll stick to the H7 units.

Andy

2. Nickdaw

Nickdaw Senior Member VCDS User VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I wonder which will be the better upgrade Transporter HQ or OEM H7. Which will give the best light output?

3. drew_greenday

drew_greenday Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Surely the output will be the same, isn't a h7 bulb a h7 bulb..... the only difference will be power into the unit, which is the same?

4. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

The design of the reflectors will have some effect

5. CaliStu

CaliStu Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

I see these are now available to pre order... Tempting!

6. Ed Webb

Ed Webb Webber VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    After undergoing the H7 mod and being pleased with the results I'd be keen to see how much of an improvement if any these will have. I won't be changing as I like the look of the H7 but it's good to see alternative upgrades coming through the market.

7. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Grape Yellow Beach VIP Member T6 Legend

Got H7's in mine but though look very tempting if they are any better

8. PukkaT6

PukkaT6 Senior Member T6 Legend

Map
    Are they significantly better than H4’s?

9. CaliStu

I'd be surprised if they are any better than the H7s in terms of performance. But aesthetically I prefer the LED DRLs

10. RussGT6

RussGT6 Senior Member T6 Guru

Map
    Travellin Lite also offering these lights, look very similar to HQ.

11. CaliStu

Interesting that they both announce pre order at the same time. They could well be the same lights

12. RussGT6

RussGT6 Senior Member T6 Guru

Map
    I did wonder that myself.

13. andys

I remember being told about them when I was there earlier in the year when they said they'd been approached by a Chinese company looking to market these lights in the UK so maybe they will be selling them through different outlets. The dated "dot" pattern of the LED DRLs still puts me off though, makes them look like the old aftermarket T5 lights. Maybe there will be a 2nd gen with up to date LEDs in the future?

14. PukkaT6

PukkaT6 Senior Member T6 Legend

Map
    I thought the dot patten was just down to the camera used.

15. PJfamilyguy

PJfamilyguy Member T6 Pro

16. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Grape Yellow Beach VIP Member T6 Legend

They all look very similar in looks and price, no doubt the same. Who's going to be first to buy

17. andys

Nah anything that's come out as OE on new vehicles over the last couple of yrs has used the thin bar type (like VW) that don't have large individual LEDs like these, it's a bit 2011.

Yeah same price, same timescale, same blurb, they're the same lights absolutely no doubt.

GARY Doe likes this.
  18. zombie_T6

zombie_T6 Senior Member T6 Guru

So are these an LED dip beam and main beam, or just LED DRL with H7 dip and main?

19. Jonny

Jonny 204PS/Highline/Kombi/LWB/T32 VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I remember seeing a short video of THQ trying out the LEDs. On video the light was smooth and continuous but every picture I have seen they look dotted. I’m guessing they are actually dotted and sit behind a clear diffuser, in which case it’ll always look more dotted on camera than in real life.

20. superflyguy

superflyguy Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I think I've read somewhere that they are looking at sourcing a suitable LED bulb for them, "more expense" so I guess that answers the question they will just the same output as the H7 units, that are obviously better than my H4s :rofl: