My TransporterHQ lights came with bulbs fitted and then some extra bulbs which were brighter so I fitted these before the lights were fitted.

Fitting cost me £60 but that was mates rates so £90 seems ok based on the fact you need to remove the front bumper to fit the new lights.

Yes TransporterHQ do have a lot of wires but I havent had any issues with them and they are brighter than the standard H4's that come as standard.

I havent had any warning lights come on and I believe you can now get a LED version of this headlight from T6 DRL Headlights Black With Philips LED 6000K Dipped Beam Bulbs but I have no idea how good these are.

THQ worked for me and fitted for free for £450. You can buy whatever bulb tickles your fancy between that and the price of Travel lites lights:smile bounce:

So is the THQ the only one with additional wires ?, as I'd prefer as straight swap and a unit that passes the MOT

So is the THQ the only one with additional wires ?, as I'd prefer as straight swap and a unit that passes the MOT
It states on THQ website they pass MoT as it does on others. I’ve had mine looked at by MOT station and they gave them a pass

Thanks I feel better, and now leaning towards the THQ unit, does anyone here have any experience with the Travelin-lite unit?

Thanks I feel better, and now leaning towards the THQ unit, does anyone here have any experience with the Travelin-lite unit?

The transporter HQ ones are straight plug and play, no additional wiring or anything and MOT compliant.

Not sure where the rubbish about additional wires is coming from. Even the bulbs are normal H7. Here is the YouTube link for fitting.

The transporter HQ ones are straight plug and play, no additional wiring or anything and MOT compliant.

Not sure where the rubbish about additional wires is coming from. Even the bulbs are normal H7. Here is the YouTube link for fitting.

I think the THQ ones have more wires visible at the rear of the lights compared to others, they certainly are plug and play though

There's new mot rules about aftermarket LEDs HIDs being an instant fail, a friend who has a garage has had to fail a few recently

There's new mot rules about aftermarket LEDs HIDs being an instant fail, a friend who has a garage has had to fail a few recently
Think that’s related to glare from people fitting incorrect bulbs to lights or using none road legal LED bulbs. If the lights themselves are tested to whatever the standard is then they pass but if they have basically the wrong or illegal bulbs they will fail.

Lots of complaints about glaring HID bulbs in vehicles.

Travelin Lite unit is the same basic unit as THQ. Travelin Lite supply legal upgraded bulbs with the standard unit (THQ are 100W) although the ones with the Phillips 6000K LED bulbs will most likely be sold for 'off road use only'

The other option is this one if you've not already found it.

Don't think there are any aftermarket replacement LED headlight bulbs that are UK legal so they'd all fall an MOT

Don't think there are any aftermarket replacement LED headlight bulbs that are UK legal so they'd all fall an MOT

That's what I thought, been looking at travelin lite lights with the £150 bulb upgrade I'd be pissed if they then failed the mot!

Travelin Lite unit is the same basic unit as THQ. Travelin Lite supply legal upgraded bulbs with the standard unit (THQ are 100W) although the ones with the Phillips 6000K LED bulbs will most likely be sold for 'off road use only'

The other option is this one if you've not already found it.

Please excuse these questions, I'm new to this and want to be able to see better at night, whist being legal

Is the Travellinglite upgrade bulb 55w, if so what is the advantage?
Does the Travellinglite unit need an extra loom?

Other members haven't used the bulbs provided, but used Phillips X-Treme Power +100% and Phillips Racing Vision +150% H7 instead is this the way to go?
Finally should the dipped beam be on or off whilst mainbeam is on?

Cheers

Please excuse these questions, I'm new to this and want to be able to see better at night, whist being legal

Other members haven't used the bulbs provided, but used Phillips X-Treme Power +100% and Phillips Racing Vision +150% H7 instead is this the way to go?

Cheers

Dipped beam should be on when mainbeam is on, which is wont be with a van that had H4 units originally. Get them coded!!!

Thank you.
My van is reflex silver and I am thinking headlights in black, without the additional loom
So I need THQ or Travelinlite upgrade , brighter bulbs and then to find someone locally, (North-West London) to code them is that correct?

Cheers
The Travelin Lite units come with upgraded 55W bulbs. The same power consumption but a whiter and slightly brighter light (like the ones you mention). Obviously you could fit upgraded H4 bulbs to your current units, although those who have gone aftermarket generally say the light output is better. The only caveat on this is those that have fitted the THQ 100W bulbs are now illegal although it's not as obvious as those running HID or LED bulb upgrades so they should get away with it providing the vehicle wiring will handle the extra load.

The THQ / Travelin Lite units have external wiring harnesses and to get the H1 and H7 bulbs on at the same time need an additional harness (not sure if anyone has received these yet). However if you look at the VCDS user map, those people can code your vehicle properly to do this without the extra harness. Although the Van Tech supplied units I run do this automatically, I would still recommend coding those too as the extra load causes the electrics to react (flashing) - and I think it is this problem which has delayed the extra harnesses for the THQ / TL units (happy to be corrected on this).

If you only have the H1 beams on for main beam, the light output is concentrated in a fairly narrow spread as the wider/nearer spread of light is done by the H7s. Dipped beam should be on as well as main.

Thanks once again.
So if there there was an idiots guide, (no offense meant) to help newbies like myself the basic upgrade options would be:
1. Keep existing headlight unit, but replace bulbs with higher powereed versions, <insert examples here>, DRL will not be LED
2. Replace headlight unit, keep existing bulbs that came with it, use additional loom to keep dipped beam on whilst main beam is on, DRL is LED
3. Same as 2, but use VCD instead of loom to keep dipped beam on whilst main beam is on DRL is LED.
4. Replace headlight unit, replace bulbs with higher poweredversions, (H1 and H7), use VCD to keep dipped beam on whilst main beam is on, DRL is LED

Please feel free to correct/comment, as this is based on my limited knowledge and what I think I picked up from this thread

For this thread that is about right although both aftermarket suppliers provide you with upgraded bulbs too (THQ 100W and illegal, TL with correct Watt rating).......there is the H4 to OEM H7 conversion too.

For this thread that is about right although both aftermarket suppliers provide you with upgraded bulbs too (THQ 100W and illegal, TL with correct Watt rating).......there is the H4 to OEM H7 conversion too.

Thanks Mooncat, glad someone replied, was getting worried.
So now you've confused me even more, :), what is the H4 to OEM H7 conversion?, do you know how much it costs.

He means you would just fit the VW caravelle H7 headlights. These would have the same light output as the aftermarket brands your looking at but cost a bit less. Also only come in a chrome finish I believe.

These would also still require coding to get the mainbeam to work with dipbeam at the same time.

Back