hey Randall, awesome van mate, very jealous! one day I'll upgrade to the 4motion, only got the very basic t6 multivan....i'm in Sydney and I've just bought myself a rhino platform as well after seeing yours.

so far I bought the 2128 x 1426mm platform and 6 x RLT600 legs

I've got a couple questions if you don't mind helping me out, are those the RLT600 legs as well? and did you have to get spaces for it? is it necessary? if so, which ones?

I'm trying to keep the platform as low as possible as in Sydney many shopping centres are 2.1m height limit, so any ideas to keep it as low as possible?

cheers and thanks for your help mate!

steve

G'Day Steve,
Yes they are RLT600 legs.
There does not appear to be any spacers, just the leg base that stays on the van if the roof rack is removed.
I would not want the rack any closer to the roof.
I have the front rail that was intended to stop things sliding forward and to protect solar panels (that I haven't got around to yet), so my height is slightly higher. I would not have that if there was a next time.
Watch those carparks the signs are not always accurate, however most 2.1m spaces seem ok, probably not after I fit the lift kit.

cheers.

Randall

Welcome. Look forward to hearing more.... and images, there are a few AUS members,maybe close enough for a coffee meet

Hi all from Australia

I have recently joined the T6 crew with a brand new convertered T6 camper. We've already had one family adventure in it and already throthing for the the xmas break.

Certifed to seat four with the kids in the back on their booster seats.
BleSki.JPG

Hi T6 boy,
I’m in Torquay Vic. Only just seen your post.
I traded my 2015 T5.1 in for a T6 a month ago, TDI 400 LWB and am mid way thru sorting it. What wheels did you end up getting?
I fitted Bilstein coil overs last month, highly recommended. Just in the process of fitting my vapour barrier from motexion in Sydney. Also fitted a 10” sub woofer under my drivers seat. Mob in the UK supplied that.
I stuffed up and bought VW Suzuka wheels off eBay thinking they would fit. I’ve managed to get them on with 20mm thick spacer/converters but they look stupid, especially on the front, so I think they will be going back on eBay.

Pommie Dave

Hey everyone

Ben here from Sydney Oz - thought i’d join up to ask a few Qs and find a few bits for my ride !
I have a 2018 t6 single cab chassis (ute) for work recently purchased - and looking at some minor mods to enjoy its 5 year useage cycle with the tax office

Talk soon ! Hope there is another member or
two to chat

Cheers Ben

08550B15-DBFE-4BDB-9447-6CCC7D52FD97.jpeg

Looking for your collective advice... I'm about to pull the trigger on a purchase of the new T6.1 California Beach here in Australia.
Costs aside... do you have any recommendations or insights around the reliability of the TDI450 (199hp) vs the TDI340 (150hp) engines? Both options with 4Motion.
It' seems that the TDI450 has been fraught with reliability problems (oil pressure, EGR cooler, timing belts, high-pressure pump) and the TDI340 is "faultless" and the better option. What do you think?
Being in Australia I wouldn't want to be stuck 100's of miles away from next town with engine issues when camping. Or in for warranty fixes every 2months. Thoughts?

found this in relation to the above. Seems like the Revision D - EGR cooler solves the issues with the Biturbo engines. 180 Hp Bi-turbo T6. ( Australian Spec).

Hi All, Mick from Adelaide Australia, I have a T6 LWB . Had a full camper conversion done two years ago . I fitted 300w of solar panels , which has allowed us to go bush for weeks at a time and keep the auxillary battery charged so fridge (beers) and lighting work . Fitting a Planar Diesal heater as its cold at the moment. Been reading your posts so thought i better join

Hi. I am new to the forum. I am not sure how to post in to the forum, so the system seem so be allowing me to enter something here so I am posting here. I am purchasing a 4motion T1450 T6.1 campervan conversion in Australia. I am considering possible suspension options for use in outback Australia. can anyone explain to me the advantages of the 3 different suspension options offered by VW? Is a 30mm lift worthwhile? If so does it have to be Seikel or could I consider another option such as Bilstein? Seikel is expensive in Australia and limited to the Trakka campervan company.

Hey T6'ers. We picked up our 2019 T6 (from Needingworth Campers - CamperKing conversion) on Valentines Day (now Van-entines Day!). We managed a couple of nights in Shrewsbury before lockdown. Just spent 10days in Northumberland and the Lakes and had the best time, off to Wales end of the month - basically trying to get away as much as we can now!
View attachment 84707View attachment 84708View attachment 84709
looks great! I love the colour. what sort of wheels and tyres are you using? Do you have a lift on the suspension..your clearance looks good.

As Outback say, that's a lovely paint job but those camp sites look like they're on a serious slope that even levelling ramps couldn't hope to sort out;)

Hi @Wern ...Diesel engines where never really designed for stop/start short journeys and in many cases it’s how you drive and take care of the vehicle that matters....Good fuel....getting up to temp so to burn off all the nasties and avoid short trips that will help with reliability ..I’ve a 204ps just done 20k and had no problems.....however that’s in the Uk....you’ve got some real extremes of temperature that impact the vehicle ...have you asked other Australian members.... @AussieMick has just done a road trip...could give good feedback ....what ever you get enjoy your trips. and keep us all posted ...Ps We like pictures :thumbsup:

ps... Egr aside I’ve not seen many reports of the other faults on the newer Uk spec models....I guess it’s about how the faults occurred and why..to understand reliability

Last edited:
Hi @Wern , I can give you my experiences but they may be of no help to you. I am an Australian member and have had my van for just over 4 years. It is a TDI340 6 speed manual 2WD LWB van with a euro 5 engine. Done 52000 kms. It has a full camper conversion so always weighs at least 2400kgs to 2900+kgs.
I have done quite a few long trips in it ( Adelaide to Cairns, Adelaide to Central Australia etc) and its been great and gets pretty good economy and is comfortable on long drives and has coped with hot summer conditions. ie Oil temp didnt climb much higher than normal.

The engine is quite good for power and driveability and the only time I wish for a bigger engine is when pulling my trailer up decent hills or mountainous areas. It still gets there ok but Im working the gears a lot but when not towing I dont have a problem. After all it is a campervan.

Nearly all my trips in the van are longish as I rarely use it around town as a run around vehicle.
I dont have 4motion but I have raised suspension so have been able to go to a few rough places but have to look out for sand, mud etc.
I realize that I dont have a 6.1euro, 4motion so this will be of limited help but is just my impression of my van.
Try to test drive both engines to see what suits you , and whatever you get as @VanDamMan says enjoy it.

Hi @Wern ...Diesel engines where never really designed for stop/start short journeys and in many cases it’s how you drive and take care of the vehicle that matters..
The engines themselves are fine, it's the emissions control "extras" bolted to the engines that are not suited to short journeys and stop / start driving.
I had diesel cars / vans from the 1980's onwards and used them for short journeys with no issues.
Diesel engines were at least as reliable as petrol engines until the introduction of EGR systems and DPF's. Even looking at threads on here it is clear that most of the engine related reliability issues are caused by the EGR and DPF systems introduced in the last 15 odd years.
Reducing pollution is a no brainer, it's just a shame that manufacturers haven't found a way to do it that doesn't make diesel vehicles less reliable.

found this in relation to the above. Seems like the Revision D - EGR cooler solves the issues with the Biturbo engines. 180 Hp Bi-turbo T6. ( Australian Spec).
It may be different in Aus but those problematic EGR coolers were phased out in the UK with the demise of the T5. If you’re buying a T6.1 the EGR cooler revision is not a concern as it used to be.

That’s not to say you might have another EGR problem but the old corroding EGR cooler that then wrecked the engine was phased out over 6 years ago.

Hi New to the VW transporter. I have just ordered a 6.1 TDI450 4 motion LWB in Australia.

Back