Summer Wheels To Winter Wheels - When?

I think as tyre technology develops, there is no generic answer to this question; because the tyre design and materials need to be optimised for specific climate conditions.

Imo some winter tyres could be a hazard for general UK winter driving, when there are more days over 7c than under; so a tyre optimised for Northern Europe/Scandinavia where -40c can be encountered, may be pretty rubbish on an average UK winter day, and offer very low levels of grip at 10c+ on a wet winters day.

Even if you want to run 2 sets of tyres, I think the best all-season tyres are a better bet for UK winter use than generic full winter tyres; and the window to change your tyres over is much larger this way for optimised driving.

When my Amarok rims arrive next week (back in stock at Tamar) I’m going to try all season tyres.

Only decision is whether to go for 50 or 55 profile?

I cant be bothered with summer/winter tyres......living in/around london.

I just run 18" sportlines with budget tyres all year round.

But the points above seem valid, and If i had a set of 20"
Vossens. I think I would be swapping them over about now.

What is your reasoning?

From what I’ve researched higher load rating tyres available and slightly cheaper. Negatives +3mph so probably will make the speedo spot on accurate !

Ian
Pure aesthetics; they just look so much better with an an extras 11mm all round; particularly if you add spacers
235 width, because for me they are better than wider tyres in poor traction/grip conditions such as snow/ice/standing water/off-raod etc
You can get really good tyres for £115/corncer + fitting which will last 40k+ miles and still have 3mm tread left. A Bloody Bargin imo:thumbsup:

Imo some winter tyres could be a hazard for general UK winter driving, when there are more days over 7c than under; so a tyre optimised for Northern Europe/Scandinavia where -40c can be encountered, may be pretty rubbish on an average UK winter day, and offer very low levels of grip at 10c+ on a wet winters day.

Although I understand the logic, that's certainly not my experience of winters in warmer weather. In fact I found my last set of winters tyres to be mind blowing once the weather warmed. This is comparing to Goodyear Eagle F1s, Continental sport contact 6 and the more budget brand summer tyres. Last years Minerva's were super soft and out outperformed all of my summers handling wise. The obvious drawback was the fact they were way too soft for a warmer road, and this wore them out pretty quickly.
My latest Falken Eurowinter's have only been on for 2 weeks, but already they inspire far more confidence than my summers. Plus they are very quiet, and the recent glut of rain saw a lot of big deep puddles in Leicestershire, and not one I hit snatched the steering wheel out my hands. Personally I look forward to going onto winter tyres, and wish I could run them all year round.

Standing water is as you say, where these open treaded/ heavily siped tyres really do perform.
Mine are directional treaded and they really do shove the water away.

You can run winter tyres all year round; they are called Nokian Weatherproof SUV (limited sizes unfortunately)
Honestly they are a game changer for me.
For my car it has to be Michelins Cross Climate SUV's because I need 20" size, again a directional tyre.

Normally my winters are on for the 6 months that my Mk2 Golf is SORN'd. I'm getting behind this year as I don't have a spare set of wheels for the van yet. They have been on the Tig for a couple of weeks tho'.

As already said, you really can tell the difference on slimy, muddy, greasy rural roads.

Winters will possibly be going on this weekend. Usually beginning of November for us

You can run winter tyres all year round; they are called Nokian Weatherproof SUV (limited sizes unfortunately)
Honestly they are a game changer for me.
For my car it has to be Michelins Cross Climate SUV's because I need 20" size, again a directional tyre.

Those are all seasons, not a dedicated winter tyre

Those are all seasons, not a dedicated winter tyre
For most UK temps imo they are more than good enough to compete with many full winters. I've seen tests where the Nokian Weatherproofs out perform some full winters in ice/snow conditions
Picking some full winters for UK use in winter imo does not necessarily give you the best/safest option imo.
I just think you need to closely look at exactly want you need/want from a tyre; the kind of conditions you will face maximums/minimums; when you are likely to swap tyres over (if at all); then try to find the optimal tyre for your needs.
What the best winter looks like in Northern Germany probably doesn't equate to many parts of the UK. Yet many of tyres are probably marketed just the same; so the concept of a fits all dedicated winter tyre is meaningless to me, because there is no such thing as a harmonious standardised definition of winter for international tyre companies & the tyre users

novice question but how much to change over from summer tyres with balancing etc and if its just 2 wheel drive, is there any point in changing rear ones or do they have to be compatible?

novice question but how much to change over from summer tyres with balancing etc and if its just 2 wheel drive, is there any point in changing rear ones or do they have to be compatible?
All the advice seems to be run the same tyres on all axels; with modern 4 channel brakes and all the clever stuff such as esp/edl etc, you may think just fitting winters to the front of a fwd would be enough, given that the fronts do most of the braking as well as the traction bit.
But I think, the thought process is; if you think you need winters, you need to fit them on all 4 wheels; because the electronics ultimately rely on the friction between the the tyre and road surface for all 4 wheels, if 4 channel brakes are to be allowed to do their good stuff.

Tyres are typically £12-15 per corner to fit the tyre/balance/change wheel; plus the cost of the tyre as well.

For most UK temps imo they are more than good enough to compete with many full winters. I've seen tests where the Nokian Weatherproofs out perform some full winters in ice/snow conditions
Picking some full winters for UK use in winter imo does not necessarily give you the best/safest option imo.
I just think you need to closely look at exactly want you need/want from a tyre; the kind of conditions you will face maximums/minimums; when you are likely to swap tyres over (if at all); then try to find the optimal tyre for your needs.
What the best winter looks like in Northern Germany probably doesn't equate to many parts of the UK. Yet many of tyres are probably marketed just the same; so the concept of a fits all dedicated winter tyre is meaningless to me, because there is no such thing as a harmonious standardised definition of winter for international tyre companies & the tyre users

I was referring to your description of all seasons as winter tyres. The rest didn't relate to my comment.

I was referring to your description of all seasons as winter tyres. The rest didn't relate to my comment.
For my UK use the Nokians meet all the requirements of dedicated full winters; it just so happens I can use them all year round in the UK as well.
I stand fully by comments. These tyres are not a comprise at all for me; so for my vehicle; my use they are dedicated winter tyres.
If I thought winter tyres would make my winter driving any safer/better, I would go out tomorrow and spent a £1000+ without hesitation, I have read so much on the subject, and I am not convinced for my use its would be worth £1., in fact I think it would have a minus value for me.
For me it's eyes wide open when some very clever marketing people try to convince me to effectively spent a lot more on tyres/wheels than we actually need to; how many sets of partly used winter wheels/tyres are there on eBay??? loads and loads and loads; how much extra profit do the internationals make out of this, loads and loads and loads.
If my local Emergency Ambulance has come to the same conclusion as me (they run Michelin Agilis Cross Climates) all year round; I'm fairly happy for now it makes sense to me.

Back