Summer Wheels To Winter Wheels - When?

For my UK use the Nokians meet all the requirements of dedicated full winters; it just so happens I can use them all year round in the UK as well.
I stand fully by comments. These tyres are not a comprise at all for me; so for my vehicle; my use they are dedicated winter tyres.
If I thought winter tyres would make my winter driving any safer/better, I would go out tomorrow and spent a £1000+ without hesitation, I have read so much on the subject, and I am not convinced for my use its would be worth £1., in fact I think it would have a minus value for me.
For me it's eyes wide open when some very clever marketing people try to convince me to effectively spent a lot more on tyres/wheels than we actually need to; how many sets of partly used winter wheels/tyres are there on eBay??? loads and loads and loads; how much extra profit do the internationals make out of this, loads and loads and loads.
If my local Emergency Ambulance has come to the same conclusion as me (they run Michelin Agilis Cross Climates) all year round; I'm fairly happy for now it makes sense to me.
I know what you mean and for majority of UK all seasons are fine. Which I do mention in various comments, but let's be accurate when describing things. Nice Renault traffic BTW. ;)

Unlike other countries such as those in Scandinavia, nothing about our climate, is guaranteed. We can end up with a mild winter, where to a be fair a summer tyre will get you through the winter. Or it can go pear shaped, and a summer tyre is useless.

I run my winter tyres when the average temperature drops below 7°C. Online data is widely available. This example is for Fife. Its reassuring to know that I've got rubber appropriate for the conditions and also should the, quick everybody run out and buy 27 pints of milk and 70 loaves of bread, for the 2 days of Daily Express apocalyptic end of the world frost, then I'll be able to get out of Tescos car park ok. As long as happens between end of November and the middle of April.

20191102_192331.jpg

Unlike other countries such as those in Scandinavia, nothing about our climate, is guaranteed. We can end up with a mild winter, where to a be fair a summer tyre will get you through the winter. Or it can go pear shaped, and a summer tyre is useless.

I run my winter tyres when the average temperature drops below 7°C. Online data is widely available. This example is for Fife. Its reassuring to know that I've got rubber appropriate for the conditions and also should the, quick everybody run out and buy 27 pints of milk and 70 loaves of bread, for the 2 days of Daily Express apocalyptic end of the world frost, then I'll be able to get out of Tescos car park ok. As long as happens between end of November and the middle of April.

View attachment 53747
You know when it's a slow news day just by the Daily Express's End of Days Weather Headline.;)

One point that I tend to keep rolling out, is that over the long term, winter tyres don't have to cost a penny.

First step, buy a set of second hand wheels. Step two, buy and have fitted winter tyres and fit to your vehicle. As you are driving around through the winter, your 'summer' wheels and tyres are stacked up in your garage not wearing out. Also, winter tyres wear at a lower rate when temperatures drop, whereas 'summer' tyres wear faster. You will be getting the most efficient tyre for the conditions in both terms of grip and wear during cold and warm seasons. Having got two sets of wheels and tyres, the swap back in the spring can be done yourself, for free. When you come to change your vehicle, then sell on your second set of winter wheels. You could even get you initial money back if you bought them right in the first place.

I get the cross climate type of tyre, but they still wear out just like any other. Alternating two sets of tyres doubles the life span (in time) of each set, so the only extra expence is the wheels, which can be recouped.

Also, you dont need to go mega expensive on the winters. I had some Ovation winter tyres and they were brilliant!

Also, you dont need to go mega expensive on the winters. I had some Ovation winter tyres and they were brilliant!

Totally agree there.
Last year I had a set of cheap Minerva Frostrack's on my 19s which cost less than £400 a set. They were the best set of tyres i've owned to date, summer and winter. They took my 2wd T6 through deep untouched snow in Scotland, saw off a Range Rover in a lightly covered with snow hill in the Cotswolds, got me up a solid sheet of ice on a hill in Inverness, plus when the weather warmed back up, they out handled any tyre I've ever used.

This year I have Falken Eurowinters on my new 18s, which £542 a set and that's an inch smaller and a more popular size than my 19s last year.
These were initially pretty good on the slippy rural roads, and they've yet to be tested on ice and snow, but they certainly don't have the feel and grip of the cheaper Minerva's from last year. I will say the more expensive tyres are a little quieter, and slightly more comfortable, but that might be because I'm running 18s at the moment.
Overall, i'd prefer the Minerva on my 19s though, but they are not easy to get hold of, and none came into the UK this year.

I know what you mean and for majority of UK all seasons are fine. Which I do mention in various comments, but let's be accurate when describing things. Nice Renault traffic BTW. ;)
And let's try not to be a patronising, on a very technical subject which imo is worthy of deep consideration.

Eggs an egg, winters are winters, all seasons are all season summers are summers etc. Totally agree with you

Eggs an egg, winters are winters, all seasons are all season summers are summers etc. Totally agree with you
So i guess what I'm trying to get across is this........................
For me the word "Dedicated" means "Un-compromised"
Its more about matching my needs with the right tyre; not the generic wording manufactures use to differentiate these tyres from summer tyres, across a huge range of European weather conditions.
So for my use a dedicated winter tyre means a tyre which is un-compromised for my winter use..........
and my winter tyre choice which happens to be an All-season with M&S, which is really good in all winter situations I can am likely to encounter including off-road use; and changing conditions; with standing water on flooded roads maybe my most risky/frequent poor conditions.
The idea of summer/winter/all-season tyres is all about your specific use; not the generic pan-European marketing tyre categorisation of the tyre marketers. imo

So i guess what I'm trying to get across is this........................
For me the word "Dedicated" means "Un-compromised"
Its more about matching my needs with the right tyre; not the generic wording manufactures use to differentiate these tyres from summer tyres, across a huge range of European weather conditions.
So for my use a dedicated winter tyre means a tyre which is un-compromised for my winter use..........
and my winter tyre choice which happens to be an All-season with M&S, which is really good in all winter situations I can am likely to encounter including off-road use; and changing conditions; with standing water on flooded roads maybe my most risky/frequent poor conditions.
The idea of summer/winter/all-season tyres is all about your specific use; not the generic pan-European marketing tyre categorisation of the tyre marketers. imo
Right, now I get you once you mentioned "for your use"

Right, now I get you once you mentioned "for your use"
yes 100%, I've tried to keep putting those words in my posts, particularly on this subject which is very complex.
It's all tricky business I know, and I do reserve my rights to change my mind ;)
I was reading a test the other day regarding winter tyres, and the conditions where carried out at -20c....so not of much interest to me.
I also try to pick tyres that have an "A" rating for wet weather use, than I read an article which suggests that euro test is totally compromised when you run in cooler conditions, and some tyres which had a c\d wet rating, actually performed far better at 7c, than some "A's".
And when you read the tyre test; who is paying/designing the test?, is it a combined effort by Conti & Goodyear & others big names to shut out the "less wealthy" brands??
Sometimes the user reviews offer better info imo, but I guess it always "eyes wide open"

Glad to hear the mineva frostracks are good. Have a set in the back of the van, off to get them fitted later today

Glad to hear the mineva frostracks are good. Have a set in the back of the van, off to get them fitted later today

Ironically it was the steep hill opposite your house that the van went up with ease, and you know how lethal that road gets :eek:

The 19” Summer Cantaras and tyres are now off, with the 16” Claytons and winters tyres on.
Just waiting for the bad weather now...

4AB970B2-9CFD-427D-8774-1895C3B016BC.jpeg

The Michelin’s have worn 3mm in a little over 4000 miles.
Expecting better from the winter tyres as they will be a much harder compound.

..... I had the Michelin Alpin on the Grand Cherokee .... after three seasons the compound had become as hard as stone (maybe they had seen little snow ... and it was the fault of the four-wheel drive and 250 hp of the engine ..) , never more winter tires..the Nokian Weatherproof go well

scusa

I just yesterday ordered a set of Michelin Agilis CrossClimate from Costco £539.98 fully fitted next Saturday. Great on fuel (B rating) and wet weather (A rating). only 2db louder (at 73db)compared to OEM Conti Van Contact 200. These will go on my 17" Devonport wheels, as OEM tyres after 3 years totally shot on the front, offside rear has a screw in it and is a random budget tyre that does not match load/speed ratings without he rest of the tyres. Near side tyre is still descent and will keep that as a spare.

Come summer time, I shall be shopping for a bigger wheels. upto 19", as van is T32 and used to lug a load around 700-800kg on a daily basis for work.

Back