Summer Wheels To Winter Wheels - When?

... returning to the original discussion ...... today the temperature was 19 degrees .., I put back the summer tires ... !! ..... now it will not be colder! .. I did not remember anymore 'how to drive with the summer tires .. much more' "precise" and ready in the insertions in the curve, as well as more 'silent ..

I prefer to drive on winter tyres/Swampers all year round, as having driven Land Rovers/ Range Rovers since 1971, I have always preferred that style of tyre, on any vehicle of that style/height/type.
If not then I shall drive a Corvette of sorts, end of.

I also had some Jeeps and on these vehicles I did not care what tires I was using. "but with the Cali it makes a lot of difference to drive a summer tire or a winter tire, in my part in the summer we also have 30-34 degrees of termperatura imagine how to drive with winter tires! ... I am used to driving fast ..... impossible with tires not suitable for the temperature ..

Just put mine back on... got home checked forecast (again) and now more snow due Sunday and Monday :mad:
Guess what I’ll be doing in a couple of days time?!? Winter tyres... again :laugh:

I also had some Jeeps and on these vehicles I did not care what tires I was using. "but with the Cali it makes a lot of difference to drive a summer tire or a winter tire, in my part in the summer we also have 30-34 degrees of termperatura imagine how to drive with winter tires! ... I am used to driving fast ..... impossible with tires not suitable for the temperature ..

I lived in Spain for 30years and have driven Range Rovers since 1971 always on Winter Tyres in temperatures as you have but never had any problems, so will carry on with the T6, I am not a lover of vans with low profile tyres, apart from the fact that where I still drive is not on Tarmac.
Otherwise as I said I shall drive something else.

Before the winter got started I got some Cross Climates put on my Devonports and I intend to keep them on all year. I've always put full winters on different wheels on whatever vehicle I had over the last few years as the difference is amazing, but I decided to try something different this time to save some money and hassle. Unfortunately I never got the chance of driving them in the snow as I was ill but they seem just as good as the Continentals were on a dry or wet road so fingers crossed.

su strada asciutta e bagnata l'estate continentale va MOLTO bene .... è una gomma che dà sicurezza, con le quattro stagioni (ho il Nokian), non posso dire la stessa cosa, ovviamente sulla neve l'estate continentale anche pensare di guidarli ...
Facci sapere come si comportano le tue gomme nel calore e se avranno problemi di usura precoce.

su strada asciutta e bagnata l'estate continentale va MOLTO bene .... è una gomma che dà sicurezza, con le quattro stagioni (ho il Nokian), non posso dire la stessa cosa, ovviamente sulla neve l'estate continentale anche pensare di guidarli ...
Facci sapere come si comportano le tue gomme nel calore e se avranno problemi di usura precoce.
Google translate:
on dry and wet road the continental summer goes VERY well .... it is a rubber that gives security, with the four seasons (I have the Nokian), I can not say the same thing, obviously in the snow the continental summer also think of drive them ... Let us know how your tires behave in the heat and if they will have problems with premature wear.

The reason I went for the Cross Climates was that they're a summer compound, but with a semi-winter tread pattern so I have high hopes that they'll be good in summer too, but if not then I'll move on to something else. All the reviews seem good though

I bought the T6 with 16" Claytons and specified winter tyres from VW - these were removed when at the dealers, pre PDI and are now safely tucked away in a store cupboard at work.
At the moment, I have 19" Amarok Cantara alloys fitted with summer tyres.
Now the weather is closing in and campsites / fields are becoming more slippery, is it a good time to swop them over or do I wait untill the white stuff falls and the council decide to spread lovely salt on our roads?

Any thoughts?

One year I put them on our car when there was 3” snow all around - left it a bit late that year!

Some time between now and 2nd week of Nov.

Ian

Mine went on a couple of weeks ago.
I tend to move back to winters once the tree's start dropping leaves over the road and making it slippy, and the roads generally become more greasy. Plus where I live, the farmers are ploughing fields and then driving onto the roads leaving a thick layer of mud in the rural areas, making my summer tyres pretty much useless.

I don't see winter tyres as tyres just to use when it's going to snow. I see them as a better tyre for poorer road conditions, and colder conditions. I can already feel the benefit of my winters, as has my wife in her Mini, and my daughters winters will be going on next week.

Last edited:
Back