Summer Wheels To Winter Wheels - When?

Glad the summers wheels have been taken off and the original alloys with winter M&S tyres have been bolted on.

Today I think I found the mud and survived, now bring on the snow!!

IMG_2382.JPG

A little bit of cleaning required tomorrow me thinks.

I've just picked up my new winter wheels after refurb, now just waiting for the new van to come, now told I will be lucky to get it before the new year.

IMG-4627.JPG

IMG-4628.JPG

IMG-4629.JPG

novice question but how much to change over from summer tyres with balancing etc and if its just 2 wheel drive, is there any point in changing rear ones or do they have to be compatible?

With all due respect to your self. Many people have the mistaken belief, that winter or all season tyres are all about forward traction, not getting stuck or pulling ones self out. It is not. It is about many things, such as steering, braking, feel or feel back lateral grip and of course forward traction. They have to be able to contend with snow, ice slush, water and dry roads too.

If changing to winter tyres, it is important to change all 4. If a vehicle has winters mounted on only one axle and not the other . Then the car can become unbalanced, with greatly more grip one end over the other. If winters are put only on the front we may find the rear end swinging out and overtaking the front. If only on the rear then plough on understeer, is the risk and the potential of sliding into something or some one.

Remember it is not just about keeping going. It is about reaching ones destination alive and not in a box and not taking anyone else out either! It is not just ones own driving, that one needs to be concerned for but being capable of reacting to the very likely mistakes of others on icy slippery slippery roads! It is natural to be concerned about self preservation but do not also forget, pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and unpredictable animals. We can replace our pride and joy but a vehicle that starts sliding even at a slow pace, can have very real and devastating consequences for softer victims!

Fitting appropriate rubber checking tyre pressures may save someone life. I also wish that folk would clean all snow off their vehicles and clear all windows entirely, before setting off! Driving with letter box windows is criminal insanity.:devil::devil::devil:.

Blimey, few of you guys on my favourite Minerva winters. Though my rave reviews are on the Minerva Frostrack, just incase people are on different Minerva tyres and I'm opening myself to grief.

My Minerva tyres were put to full on extreme tests in Inverness when I was working up there
We decided to see just how good winter tyres were and tried our hardest to get them stuck, but they just wouldn't in deep untouched snow, plus we reversed up a very steep hill that we literally couldn't stand on, due to Black ice, hence my rave reviews of such a budget tyre.

Oh and I'm 2wd for those that don't know.

What size are you running for the winters? I'm having trouble finding a 215/60/17 with a 104 or 109 rating.

At the moment I have Michelin wintersport and a fair bit of life left but maybe for next year or the other halfs car next winter currently running Goodyear ultra group 8 and they have worn EXTREMELY quickly!

I also wish that folk would clean all snow off their vehicles and clear all windows entirely, before setting off! Driving with letter box windows is criminal insanity.:devil::devil::devil:.

Quite right. Not having the windscreen and front side windows clear is technically driving without due care and attention. As for having a foot of snow on the roof, that'll be driving with an unsecured load.

What size are you running for the winters? I'm having trouble finding a 215/60/17 with a 104 or 109 rating.

At the moment I have Michelin wintersport and a fair bit of life left but maybe for next year or the other halfs car next winter currently running Goodyear ultra group 8 and they have worn EXTREMELY quickly!

Have a wee look on Tyreleader.
I ran these when I had 17" wheels. Had nothing but favourable experience when driving in snow with them.

Maybe best order before Brexit though. I think mine came from the continent so could be 14% more expensive soon.

Winter boots going on tomorrow, 235/55/17 Vredestein Wintrac pro’s

maybe worth a look
I had nokian on my car years ago, never again, horrible grip and constantly leached what I can only describe as silicone . Absolutely horrid

I had nokian on my car years ago, never again, horrible grip and constantly leached what I can only describe as silicone . Absolutely horrid
Oh I can assure you that's not been the experience of all Nokian customers, by a long way

Yes I was pretty surprised, nokian didnt want to know. I could put a piece of kitchen towel on a tyre and after a week it would be impregnated with oil.

I wonder if they where extreme winter tyres (Nordic -40C), and they were outside their temperature range i.e. too hot?
Or perhaps they where just crap tyres for some reason!

Back