All Season Vs Summer & Winters?

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
The other day I parked the van up with the steering on full lock. It gave me chance to have a good look at the tread on my Bridgestone A005 all season tyres.

I noticed, for the first time, the wear bars are much higher than the normal 1.6mm - probably 4mm or so. I’ve seen this on winter tyres in the past and understand they need more depth of tread to bite into the snow and clear water.

I expect the all seasons can be run lower than the wear bars but their winter performance would be compromised. That said I generally change tyres at about 3mm.

I have recently picked up a set of steel T32 17” wheels with a view to putting winters on them (and protect my Amarok steels from salt!).

This observation of the wear bars has made me seriously think of putting summer tyres on the 18s when the all season tyres are shot, and running summer / winter sets of wheels.

Just an observation I thought I’d share!

Regards
Ian

Reassuring - just about to push the button on some Bridgestone A005s for SWMBOs Octavia.

Definitely a good idea for her, lol. Might wear a bit quicker, not 100% sure, but you will make the difference back not losing your Ins NCD.

On her last car (Fabia) tried a set of winters (Ovation brand) as I picked up a set of new steels from the dealer for £120!

I could not believe the grip in cold / wet conditions even for a budget tyre.

The all season is a compromise between summer and winter but means only one set of wheels / tyres! Plus she is getting much better at avoiding curbs!

On her last car (Fabia) tried a set of winters (Ovation brand) as I picked up a set of new steels from the dealer for £120!

I could not believe the grip in cold / wet conditions even for a budget tyre.

The all season is a compromise between summer and winter but means only one set of wheels / tyres! Plus she is getting much better at avoiding curbs!
I might need to get my wife some tractor tyres to avoid curbs....

The other day I parked the van up with the steering on full lock. It gave me chance to have a good look at the tread on my Bridgestone A005 all season tyres.

I noticed, for the first time, the wear bars are much higher than the normal 1.6mm - probably 4mm or so. I’ve seen this on winter tyres in the past and understand they need more depth of tread to bite into the snow and clear water.

I expect the all seasons can be run lower than the wear bars but their winter performance would be compromised. That said I generally change tyres at about 3mm.

I have recently picked up a set of steel T32 17” wheels with a view to putting winters on them (and protect my Amarok steels from salt!).

This observation of the wear bars has made me seriously think of putting summer tyres on the 18s when the all season tyres are shot, and running summer / winter sets of wheels.

Just an observation I thought I’d share!

Regards
Ian
I'm with you on 3mm minimum tread, but I get 40k-50k from a set of Nokian all-seasons/weatherproofs, running them all year round in the UK, so summer tyres make absolutely no sense to me, especially as we drive on wet grass/mud fields all year round. On a performance car maybe a different view, but on a van......., plus the standing water braking is amazing with these directional tyres winter or summer.

I know, I can get 40k miles without any rotation, and the rear tyres are still about 4.5mm left.
With rotation 50K, With the directionals, the easy rotation is front to back; left to right & front to back needs a tyre fitter.
We drive the van reasonably fast, but we are always lightly loaded. Do you often carry a heavy load?

Normally empty as a drive to work. Pull a few horses 1 a month 10 miles.
If that is the case, these tyres should last longer that a normal summer tyre and provide loads more grip. Why wouldn't we do that, winner all round.

I know, I can get 40k miles without any rotation, and the rear tyres are still about 4.5mm left.
With rotation 50K, With the directionals, the easy rotation is front to back; left to right & front to back needs a tyre fitter.
We drive the van reasonably fast, but we are always lightly loaded. Do you often carry a heavy load?
OMG thats mad.

Last set of tyres I had were done at about 10k miles. Front and rear. Van is empty, just a caravelle triple seat.

I've run the Nokian weatherproof SUV's in 235/60/17 & 235/55/18 so they are slightly taller than stock (10mm), giving a 3% ish lift in gearing, but that's fine, and they look better and fill the arches.
Often these more aggressive patterns get noisy as the milage creeps up, but I haven't experienced this with these tyres. So everything is good, and given I pay around £115 a corner it's an absolute no brainer for me.

I've run the Nokian weatherproof SUV's in 235/60/17 & 235/55/18 so they are slightly taller than stock (10mm), giving a 3% ish lift in gearing, but that's fine, and they look better and fill the arches.
Often these more aggressive patterns get noisy as the milage creeps up, but I haven't experienced this with these tyres. So everything is good, and given I pay around £115 a corner it's an absolute no brainer for me.
I couldn't run that size, I get slight rubbing on 235/50R18.

Back to Ian's original post, as he already has a second set of wheels, having dedicated winter tyres makes perfect sense. It fact, they will cost nothing extra, and possibly save money. You can only wear out one set of tyres at a time. Also winter tyres wear more quickly when it's warmer, just like summer tyres do when it's colder. This means that as well as optimum grip from the appropriate tyres for the seasons, you get optimum wear too.

As for folks getting 40-50k from tyres, I just don't get it. My first set of original Bridgestones lasted 14k on the front and that was me driving like I had half a tyre full of tennis balls on the bonnet.

This has been discussed at great length, and there are so many good reasons living in the UK why running the best all-seasons, all year round makes 100% sense.

What is there to get? I got 40k+ miles out of a set of Nokian weatherproofs without rotating them. 100% Fact, and I expect to get the same out of the next set.

Back