All Season Vs Summer & Winters?

I haven't lowered my van, as a Vel Exec it comes with a factory 20mm drop, so that could make a significant difference to the life of my tyres?,

I haven't lowered my van, as a Vel Exec it comes with a factory 20mm drop, so that could make a significant difference to the life of my tyres?,
Maybe, however I wouldn't have thought so, especially if the tyres are showing even tyre wear after lowering.

Same here, however the current 255 45 19 Avons have done around 4k with hardly a mark on them.

Hi folks looking for Advice on the best all season tyre for Cantera Rim ideally t32 load rated thanks in advance

I've run the Nokian weatherproof SUV's in 235/60/17 & 235/55/18 so they are slightly taller than stock (10mm), giving a 3% ish lift in gearing, but that's fine, and they look better and fill the arches.
Often these more aggressive patterns get noisy as the milage creeps up, but I haven't experienced this with these tyres. So everything is good, and given I pay around £115 a corner it's an absolute no brainer for me.
Hi
Where are you getting the Nokian weatherproof from ?
I’m after the same size.
235/60/17
Cheers

Sorry to jump on this - and I know that this gets asked - but I always get bloody confused.

Currently have 255/45/18 (YR) Nexen Nfera SU1 Tyres on my T6 T30 SWB - standard suspension on Sportline 2 18" Wheels - I need to replace them and want to go all season...

The Nokian ones appeal - but which size do I go for - I can see 235/55 R18 104V - is the load rating sufficient? or the 255/55 R18 109V (or any other combination!) :)

Thanks

Hi
Where are you getting the Nokian weatherproof from ?
I’m after the same size.
235/60/17
Cheers
Worth looking at camskill. I just got a set of 225/40/18 weatherproofs and they were £10 a tyre cheaper than elsewhere

EDIT: dont bother on this occasion as Tyreleader are cheaper for your size

Sorry to jump on this - and I know that this gets asked - but I always get bloody confused.

Currently have 255/45/18 (YR) Nexen Nfera SU1 Tyres on my T6 T30 SWB - standard suspension on Sportline 2 18" Wheels - I need to replace them and want to go all season...

The Nokian ones appeal - but which size do I go for - I can see 235/55 R18 104V - is the load rating sufficient? or the 255/55 R18 109V (or any other combination!) :)

Thanks

Sorry - will I have any issue with fitting the 255/55 on mine? I'd rather go for more rubber.....

Sorry - will I have any issue with fitting the 255/55 on mine? I'd rather go for more rubber.....
235/55/18 is already quite a larger diameter tyre, and going to 255/55/18 will increase that diameter by another 22mm I think, and put the speedo out by a further 3% according to willtheyfit

255/55/18 vs your existing set up of 245/45/18 is roughly double the difference I’ve quoted above

Last edited:
235/55/18 is already quite a larger diameter tyre, and going to 255/55/18 will increase that diameter by another 22mm I think, and put the speedo out by a further 3% according to willtheyfit

255/55/18 vs your existing set up of 254/45/18 is roughly double the difference I’ve quoted above
Thanks Village - would you suggest that 235/55/18 would be better?

Should be ok i would have thought, unless you have an unusual offset on your wheels

I’ve got Michelin crossclimates, and love the look of them... in the rain they’ve been brilliant (like my summer Goodyear eagle f1s...)

need to take them to some snow and actually use them for what they’re for !!! Every bend I drive round in the dry at any sort of speed, I can hear them squealing at me :rofl:

Back to Ian's original post, as he already has a second set of wheels, having dedicated winter tyres makes perfect sense. It fact, they will cost nothing extra, and possibly save money. You can only wear out one set of tyres at a time. Also winter tyres wear more quickly when it's warmer, just like summer tyres do when it's colder. This means that as well as optimum grip from the appropriate tyres for the seasons, you get optimum wear too.

As for folks getting 40-50k from tyres, I just don't get it. My first set of original Bridgestones lasted 14k on the front and that was me driving like I had half a tyre full of tennis balls on the bonnet.

I am of much the same mind myself. For the T6 Caravel 4Motion I bought another set of wheels and shod them with Brigstone Winter Tyres. Intending to change back to summer tyres. Better of both world around similar cost. This year mainly because if Covid19 did not revert back. Unfortunately due to some alignment problem not properly investigated and worked though by a tyre company use of tracking machinery less than 5,000 miles for the front set to wear out. Yes only one set wears out at a time. Your 14,000 miles would make me happy. I have no idea how people can get 40,000 or anything like it. I have never achieved half of that on any type of tyre on any vehicle and I have had quite a few.

I also intend to purchase a 3rd set of wheels for off road use BFG AT in 18" size. These also have the 4 peaks being rated for M&S. Though glad that I had not up to date because of the tracking error. The Brigstones are very good off road, particularly if deflated. Wet, greasy, grassy, slimy muddy inclines are easily accomplished @8psi. Not that would recommend that sort of low pressure but my Alpine tractor is having problems. Some one vandalised my hydraulics for the second time and its a pivot steer job so I could not afford not to get out. @ 8 psi their is a great risk of running them off the rims if one is not concious to the risks. 12 - 15 is low enough for most problems.

I will eventually replace all my wheels, for 18", I think that this the best size for me.

Back