Seat Base Electric + EHU + Solar Install + Charger + DC-DC -- How We Done it --

Potential alternative path, get a smaller and basic lithium for about the same price as an AGM, then upgrade to something nicer/larger later.

EcoWorthy are a not terrible brand, no frills and need a freezing charge cutoff (which you should have) and the 50aH will give about the same usable capacity as a 100aH AGM for £140 currently.

Thing is the AGM will take all the space right now, meaning you need to move kit that will stay long term to less ideal places, and when you replace with a nice 105aH Roamer you will have a gap...

That's the best way to do it, just check which way around the potential LiFePO4 battery has it's terminals, you might find they're the opposite to your AGM which makes putting wiring in with the plan to upgrade, tricky! Also, ring terminals for the battery terminals, as you don't want to be re crimping a battery cable under the seat.

If you spec everything for your planned LiFePO4 battery then when the time comes, you should be able to just lift out the old battery and put the new one in.

Maybe put a fogstar drift seatbase battery on the wedding gift list? :rofl:
It’s a great idea in principal, not sure I’d get it passed by the long haired general!

I’ve had a good play over the last couple of days and with the use of some temporary flyboard I think I’ve sussed it! I will finalise layout and wiring runs and then cut the board (neater!) using hex ply to match the incoming kitchen units!

Thank you all for the advice!

IMG_5396.jpeg

Just a suggestion - put at least the main DC-DC charger vertically. Not only will you save some space, but those chargers can run hot and the air needs to flow over the fins at the back, with it vertical they'll have clear airflow.

Although, I'm guessing you have stuff underneath the board where the charger etc are mounted?

Thank you, the original plan was to have it vertical but I can’t fit it all in. At the moment the shelf it sits on has a hole cut out under the DC-DC charger and it’s reverse mounted to drop it lower. The only thing mounted underneath is the bus bars so it should get plenty of airflow underneath (hopefully!).

Thank you, the original plan was to have it vertical but I can’t fit it all in. At the moment the shelf it sits on has a hole cut out under the DC-DC charger and it’s reverse mounted to drop it lower. The only thing mounted underneath is the bus bars so it should get plenty of airflow underneath (hopefully!).
Fair enough, those chargers are pretty large so hard to fit it where you want.

Are you going to fit a smart shunt? It'll give you a state of charge of your battery, as it measures to total current in and out of the battery.

Fair enough, those chargers are pretty large so hard to fit it where you want.

Are you going to fit a smart shunt? It'll give you a state of charge of your battery, as it measures to total current in and out of the battery.
It was taller than imagined but by reverse mounting it give me an extra 15mm of space so it clears the bottom of the seat well.

Yes I have a smart shunt in the kit. I got it all from Rayne Automotive so know that everything should be there for what I need!

Back