Leisure electrics sense check

middle-englander

T6 Guru
Hi All,

I intended to throw in a Clayton LPS for the electrics but I'm now leaning towards having separate components that can be individually purchased and upgraded, which will definitely help with the upfront cost! I also didn't like the idea of a 20kg lump behind me and would rather have the battery under my seat.

How does the below look as a start? It will be powering "the usual" array of LED lights, USB chargers, fridge etc.
Over time I will add solar, an inverter, and probably a lithium battery. But right now I need to keep costs down.

In terms of the 12v charger I would like to connect it to both the leisure battery and the starter battery. Is there any particular advantage of the IP22 over the IP65 + Ablemail? The price looks to be about the same.

TIA!

Looks good.

Did you look at swapping the AGM for lifepo4?
Thanks.
I did. I almost chose an Eco Worthy over the Leoch AGM for an extra £100, but some of the reviews put me off. I'd like a Fogstar or Renogy but cost is a factor at the moment after how much has disappeared into the "camper fund"! :eek:

I would definitely go for the Li battery. EcoWorthy are pretty cheap, and 100Ah Li will give you more useable capacity than the 130 Ah AGM. You might then find you don’t need the solar panels for one or two nights without hookup.

If you get a Bluetooth BT2 device for the DCDC, then it’s cheaper than the monitor, and tells you all you really need to know on your phone screen. I have Bluetooth monitor inside the battery too (it was on special offer) but I don’t really use that, just the BT2 would be fine.

I'd really avoid going AGM if you're investing - a 100ah LiFePo is also much smaller and you may change your mind about where you can install things. It would be a shame in 3/4 years time to replace an aging AGM and then find all the useful space under the seat going to waste.

Quite a few recent examples showing a 100ah LiFePo and the DC-DC charger in the same space a traditional AGM would take up:

Advantages to both. Multiple output charger is more compact but only works on EHU. The Ablemail will trickle charge the starter battery regardless of the source of charge on the leisure battery.

If space is tight and you'll mostly be on EHU go for the multi output charger.

If you want to be more off grid and are going to add solar go with the Ablemail - it will top up the starter from EHU and Solar.

The Renogy DCDC will charge the starter off the solar panels when you get them. I don’t have a case where I want my leisure to drain into my starter, so I wouldn’t use the Ablemail, but your use pattern might be different.

I had a Leoch AGM gel battery that lasted 2 years and was never abused. It’s not been replaced under the 3 year warranty as it shows no manufacturing defects, just a drop in capacity due to use. So the warranty is smoke and mirrors.
I now have a Renogy Lithium and there is no comparison. All the guesswork using voltages and a little crappy chart to work out depth of discharge etc has gone, replaced by an app and an accurate real time read out.
You will NOT regret getting a LiFePo4 battery.

Just reading a bit more about the IP22, it looks like it only charges batteries of a similar chemistry - would this mean that it wouldn't do a lithium leisure battery and the acid starter (I'm presuming that's what it is)?

If you have start stop then your starter will either be EFB or AGM - both can be treated as "AGM" for charge profile purposes.

Lithium has a very different charge profile so if you can only set one profile then you'll need to go the Ablemail route.

You'll likely not need much charging on the starter anyway, you're either just replacing the parasitic drain of the van electronics when stored or the drain of locks, door lighting and any powered doors when camping.

Daft question but still a sense check I want to connect a further feed from the + red side of my leisure battery it’s all wired up and works perfect including a solar connection is it ok for me just to undo the positive connection and fit another I will of course fit a inline fuse but just checking do I need to do anything else first
Oh ignition off as well ? Will I damage anything ?
Thanks all
Just added its to run a 12v dc female connection via a online fuse and switch

Last edited:
Back