MrT6

T6 Pro
Ok, I've decided to 'upgrade' the H4 headlight bulbs.

New bulbs have been purchased.

Any hints 'n' tips as to the best way of getting the 'old' bulbs out...?

It's pretty straightforward to loosen the metal retaining clips and remove the black plastic caps over the rear of the headlight unit to gain access to the H4 bulb - the problem comes about actually trying to gain access to the wired connector and the rear of the bulb.

On the nearside the battery is preventing ease of access - yes, I could remove the battery - then it would become fairly straightforward. On the offside the airbox restricts ease of access.

Just wondering if there are any 'easy' ways to do this?

TIA
MrT6

Changed mine this morning. It is fidly but not impossible. I used a small mirror and torch to see where I needed to put my fingers. I also looked at you tube to see how to remove the connectors for the Fog lights. Bit sad but I'm looking forward to it getting dark so I can see the effect.

I did mine a while back - the passenger side has a bit more space so do that one first.
I used a mirror as well. You can't feel what's going on and you can't see without a mirror.
It's very fiddly...

you don't need to remove the battery, there is enough room on that side.
yes, remove the air box lid. You remove the large hose clamp, then the electrical connector. Once that is off you just flip the 3 air box lid clamps outwards so you can take the lid off.
A mirror will help, I used my phone camera in 'selfie' mode so I could see what was going on. It's fiddly but really not that big a deal.

I didn't remove the air box lid, but that may make it easier.
Once I'd done the passenger side and worked out what was going on, the drivers side only took a few minutes.

Halfords did mine, 130% ones. £47 and one year guarantee if they fit.

Seemed fair to me as my hands are not made for getting into those tight spaces :)

When you flip off the outer plastic cover remove it completely, don't drop it in the engine bay as that a PITA!!

You should then have enough space battery side, air box side definitely remove it - makes life so much easier. @Pauly posted a video, definitely worth watching that first and you can see how the clip holding the bulb in works.

When you flip off the outer plastic cover remove it completely, don't drop it in the engine bay as that a PITA!!

You should then have enough space battery side, air box side definitely remove it - makes life so much easier. @Pauly posted a video, definitely worth watching that first and you can see how the clip holding the bulb in works.
where's the video mate......I've had a "man look" and can't find it.

Halfords did mine, 130% ones. £47 and one year guarantee if they fit.

Seemed fair to me as my hands are not made for getting into those tight spaces :)
Ouch that's expensive, you can pick the phillips 130s up for £15, so £32 for a bit of labour seems very steep,

And you become confident doing it yourself, so no worries if you are away abroad and a bulb blows

Ok, thanks for the advice and comments.

Hadn't changed any H4's for many a year until this weekend when I popped a new pair in my daughter's car.

I had a more detailed look on the T6 - with a mirror - and viewed the video. Pretty comfortable with what I need to do now. A job for next weekend.

I did 'upgrade' the DRLs with some LED 'bulbs' - lovely and white and bright now. It will be interesting to see how long they last. Before and after pics available if anyone is interested I can post on a new thread.

Back