Headlight removal

GordyT6

Refrigeration Install Engineer
T6 Pro
Hi peeps. Looking at changing my headlight bulbs but you appear to need 15 knuckles to get your fingers in so looking at removing the headlight units. Found the 2 torques screws on top but still won't come out? Is it a grille off job? Ta all

WHAT !!!!! to do a headlight bulb! How can that be ? If it was the fog lights I'd almost think yer OK. But surely not for just the headlight. Bit of a design boob by VW surely

There are four screws holding headlight in, bumper and grill need to come off to get at 2 front screws

IMG_3949.JPG IMG_4003.JPG

Hi peeps. Looking at changing my headlight bulbs but you appear to need 15 knuckles to get your fingers in so looking at removing the headlight units. Found the 2 torques screws on top but still won't come out? Is it a grille off job? Ta all
Is it to change the H4 bulbs? If so, the lights do not need to be removed to do this.

For the driver's side I just removed the top half of the air box to get access, much easier.

Remove the 2 air flow sensor plugs (they don't just pull off, there is a catch you need to release to allow them to be pulled off)
Slacken large jubilee clip
Flip up the couple of catches that attach the top half of the air box to the bottom
With a bit of jiggling, the top half of the air box will come off. DON'T force it, it is tight but will come out.
You will then get good access to the bulb cover and lamp.

For the passenger side it is fiddly but manageable as long as you use a small mirror to see how the bulb location catch comes off, but remember to remove the bulb plug first as it is tight to remove.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Doesnt show you how to do it in situ but gives you an idea of the mechanism that you cant see properly when its in place, FWIW it can be done without removing anything else, very fiddly but possible, you dont have to remove sidelight bulb i did it to move wires out of the way for clarity and it simply pulls out

IMG_3995.JPG

@Pauly thanks for making that video. I managed to change the bulbs on both sides today and you really are working blind so watching the video first helped a lot.

Yer managed to swap bulbs too. When I say me I actually mean my mate with more patience did it. Lol

Anyone done a H4 HID conversion ? If so do I need a canbus HID kit ? Also my passenger bulb is dimmer than drivers side ? Changed the bulb but still the same ?

Thanks

If they do a kit then yes you will need a Cambus kit. Can't remember if someone's done one yet ? If your headlights are different I'd have it in at VW. Warranty ?

Does anyone have a better pic of where the retaining clip pivots? I was looking at changing mine for leds and took the bulb out but then the clip came out of its pivot points and I can't see where the hinge points are to put it back in.

Back