H7 Headlamps - Accessing DRL bulbs

An extra tip to facilitate changing the drl bulbs is once you have taken the the plastic holder with bulb out and swapped the lamp, you divide the holder in two
One piece is this that holds the bulb, the second half is the piece with the fin.
Locate the piece with the bulb in the headlight holder, then place the second plastic piece (with the fin) on top and turn to lock.
If you want to refit the bulb with holder in one piece, it hinders your freedom of movement.

Following on from @Ed Webb 's post and picture above. This is what the rest of the component that he circled in red looks like once it's out. It's almost like a built in tool to turn the bulb holder with. And said tool is just a press fit on the holder, so it can detach if you just pull it. Best make sure you've turned it anti clockwise first, before trying to withdraw it. Its stiff, but it does turn just a little. There's no wires to detach from the bulb. The contacts are built into the holder.

As for getting it back in, well you look a proper pillock with your face mashed against the side of the headlight. Was the only way I could see through to the hole to locate the bulb, as the lense shaping distorts your focus.

Anyway, best of British to you, if you have need to get these suckers out/in.....for what ever reason. :cautious:

View attachment 33268

View attachment 33269
Just reread the above post and your comments @Dieseldonkey.
I have tried again on the driver's drl and failed. I have LWB Shuttle now converted but I am seriously thinking about changing it!

Will have another go on Thurs when my knuckles have healed! Hope all well and stay safe. Paul

well the mystery deepens, i removed the top of the air filter box to give me more room. Then I get the bulb out only to find it is ok , I tested it with a meter to confirm this. Just to prove I wasn't going mad I put in a new bulb ( this was the tricky part and now I have very sore hands and knuckles !!). unfortunately the new bulb does not work either :(.
Looks like tomorrows task is taking the bumper and removing the headlight so I can have a good look at the headlight.
You probably already know this, but if it's an led bulb it will only work one way round?

H4 is the standard headlight on panel vans @F2JON . The H4 bulb has two filaments in the one bulb. So one bulb does both low and high beam functions. The DRLs are positioned inboard of the headlight lamp in the cluster.

Caravelles and Shuttles come with H7 as standard. Although they are available in a PV from the factory as an optional extra. The low and high beam are two separate H7 bulbs. DRLs are located at the bottom outside corner of the headlight cluster.

Have a look at page 1 of @Ed Webb 's post here for pictures comparing the difference.

H4 --> H7 journey
@Dieseldonkey I have read the above .... I have the Shuttle on a 16 plate ... it is the drl on the driver's side that has gone.
Is the drl bulb the one circled in red (by Ed) on the attached? Or the one I circled in Yellow (by me!)?

I am guessing it is RED, but would appreciate your confirmation. TIA. Paul

You probably already know this, but if it's an led bulb it will only work one way round?
Fyi Andy, I have the H7 bulb on it as it was a SHUTTLE. They love to make it difficult Vw do!!!
Did you sort it with the bumper off? Cheers Paul

@Dieseldonkey I have read the above .... I have the Shuttle on a 16 plate ... it is the drl on the driver's side that has gone.
Is the drl bulb the one circled in red (by Ed) on the attached? Or the one I circled in Yellow (by me!)?

I am guessing it is RED, but would appreciate your confirmation. TIA. Paul
Yip. The part circled in red by Ed is the part that you see me holding between thumb and forefinger further down the thread. Needs a twist if I recall correctly.

Yip. The part circled in red by Ed is the part that you see me holding between thumb and forefinger further down the thread. Needs a twist if I recall correctly.
Many thanks I will get on it RED CIRCLE AND A TWIST!!! God VW really do like to stop anyone from diy! Deep breath and plasters on the knuckle!!! Cheers.

Fyi Andy, I have the H7 bulb on it as it was a SHUTTLE. They love to make it difficult Vw do!!!
Did you sort it with the bumper off? Cheers Paul
My van came with H4's fitted, I bought a pair of H7's (the later model with the holder attached to the drl holder)
I upgraded all the bulbs with the headlights on a table and that was a fiddly enough job so can imagine what a pain it must be to change them on the van
The bumper will be coming off next week (weather permitting), and I'll be fitting the headlights then

Just replaced the driver side DRL on my 2017 T6 Caravelle. I took the air filter housing off which was easy ( 2 clips, electrical sensor and hose clip around air pipe) this gave lots of access to the rear of the bulb housing. As previously mentioned by others the bulb holder splits in 2 so put the bulb in the first part and put this into the rear of the housing and then connect the fin section to twist into locked position. The cover for the rear of the light unit is also then easy to install. Hopefully my Halfords bulb will last more than a year, why didn’t a van this expensive come with LED Headlights as standard .D40FA9EC-12B0-4EB2-8643-17C5EED58249.jpeg08B5879A-5A5F-4CDD-9D1E-108E6C55D0CD.jpeg622AC79E-4B27-4102-93DC-93730B5B87A9.jpeg

Anyone know if fitting LEDs in the DRL is legal? I know it’s not in the main/full beam but figured there’s lots of aftermarket LED DRLs so was hopeful. Especially as there are no E marked white bulbs it seems

I have had no MOT issues with LEDs used for DRLs (or for position/reversing lights).

The current MOT manual does not show retrofit of LEDs as a compliance issue for DRLs - see section 4.2.3 at the link below (you can compare with the wording at section 4.1.4 to see the compliance restrictions that apply to H4/H7 lamps).

Thanks! Interesting wording about allowing complete replacement headlight units with LEDs… one assumes the likes of THQ didn’t design the headlights for LED bulbs, a shame as although the bulbs aren’t E marked it’d make them fit better with the MOT rules

Back