Great thread!
Noob here in process of converting my 6.1 factory kombi with triple bench into 1+1+1
I figure I should (in theory) just need the 4 left and 4 right smaller brackets?
However, when I had a scoot around underneath, the floor where the existing seat brackets bolt through looks different to the pictures kindly posted by @foggy3061
Either the chassis is now different and I don't need the central plates, VW forgot to fit them, or I'm barking up the wrong tree :confused:
Any help much appreciated, cheers, Mark
kombi bracket.jpg

Great thread!
Noob here in process of converting my 6.1 factory kombi with triple bench into 1+1+1
I figure I should (in theory) just need the 4 left and 4 right smaller brackets?
However, when I had a scoot around underneath, the floor where the existing seat brackets bolt through looks different to the pictures kindly posted by @foggy3061
Either the chassis is now different and I don't need the central plates, VW forgot to fit them, or I'm barking up the wrong tree :confused:
View attachment 150408
The bolt looks the same :rolleyes:

Great thread!
View attachment 150408

I would expect a factory kombi to have reinforcement already built into the floor pan, around the cross members.

You may not need any reinforcement brackets or maybe just the side brackets as you mention. If it were me, i would either spend the time to get under the van beforehand and fully inspect or order all of the reinforcement brackets you might need and crack on. If you don't need any of the reinforcement brackets, I'm sure you be able to sell them on.

I would expect a factory kombi to have reinforcement already built into the floor pan, around the cross members.

You may not need any reinforcement brackets or maybe just the side brackets as you mention. If it were me, i would either spend the time to get under the van beforehand and fully inspect or order all of the reinforcement brackets you might need and crack on. If you don't need any of the reinforcement brackets, I'm sure you be able to sell them on.
Cheers @foggy3061, that's the plan, I was just hoping someone knew the answer.
I'll upload some better images of the underneath of a factory kombi once I've used the fuel in the tank and get the time to do the work

Does anyone have the part numbers for the rear seatbelts? (For seats fitted directly behind front seats). I have 3 singles. Cheers

Hi all. Just joined the forum (I'm a long term T5 owner) as I've just ripped out the traditional camper interior from my van with the aim of converting it to a kombi and just wanted to say this is by far and away the most useful resource I've found when looking for the info I'll be needing. Answers to (I think!) all the questions I had - where to drill for the brackets and the belts, what parts to use, how to get the upper seat belt bracket up the C pillar, even where to cut out holes in my ply kit prior to lining it.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to it!

hey everyone, amazing thread thank you!
im doing a bench seat ( 3seat) conversion in my T5 could someone confirm the part number and qty for the support brackets?

What is the better location to drill the holes? Found two posts that have 2.5mm differentce? is that important?
Once you have the centres, mark 55mm either way of the vertical line, you see that the centres of the mounts are 110mm, pilot drill, then 10mm drill hole to accommodate the mounts. Spray the holes with some spray to protect the metal work!!

View attachment 2285

information I found off YouTube, I'm yet to fit my rear seat.

View attachment 137857

What is the better location to drill the holes? Found two posts that have 2.5mm differentce? is that important?
Elliots dimensions work fine, it's what I used in my van.

As for the Youtube dimensions, they would mean the bracket is shuffled 2.5mm further forward - why, I don't know?

Either way, both sets of dimensions give you the 110mm stud spacing needed to fit the floor bracket.

Hi All,
Firstly let me first said what a great bunch of lad's on the forum, most helpful from what I read.
I have recently joined the forum and have purchased a T5.1 lwb panel van. My plans are two do a u-shape lounge to large bed with small kitchenette behind the driver's seat but also have access to run a racing motorbike up the centre on occasions.we are a family of 4. My son I and do a bit of mountain biking so the van should be well used.
I have purchased the early T5 2+1 shuttle second row seats and want to fit the single in it's original VW position beside the lhs sliding door (4 locators to be fitted), I also want to be able to swap it to the twin seat on occasions. If I use the single seat outer locating points nearest the sliding door can another set of locating fixers be fitted to the floor near the centre of the van floor beside the small kitchenette.
I haven't seen this being mentioned before.
Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: CAB
Hi All,
Firstly let me first said what a great bunch of lad's on the forum, most helpful from what I read.
I have recently joined the forum and have purchased a T5.1 lwb panel van. My plans are two do a u-shape lounge to large bed with small kitchenette behind the driver's seat but also have access to run a racing motorbike up the centre on occasions.we are a family of 4. My son I and do a bit of mountain biking so the van should be well used.
I have purchased the early T5 2+1 shuttle second row seats and want to fit the single in it's original VW position beside the lhs sliding door (4 locators to be fitted), I also want to be able to swap it to the twin seat on occasions. If I use the single seat outer locating points nearest the sliding door can another set of locating fixers be fitted to the floor near the centre of the van floor beside the small kitchenette.
I haven't seen this being mentioned before.
Any help would be appreciated.
That sounds different!

You probably could run the double seat in the single seat position, with the two additional brackets fitted as you mentioned.

The only issue I can see is seat belt availability! The double seat would have two belts to the left of the van and nothing to the right (the left hand side belt and the middle belt would then be on the same side - if you know what I mean).

That sounds different!

You probably could run the double seat in the single seat position, with the two additional brackets fitted as you mentioned.

The only issue I can see is seat belt availability! The double seat would have two belts to the left of the van and nothing to the right (the left hand side belt and the middle belt would then be on the same side - if you know what I mean).
Hi Foggy3061, I thought about that but shouldn't be a problem as I can use the centre seat belt for the passenger on the rhs just attach a seat belt clip to that side of the seat and the passenger on the lhs has the belt on the c pillar.
I'll just have to lift the ply floor and see how the seat claws would line up underneath the van.

Can someone please tell me if I need 8 of the silver double reinforcing plates or 4 please for installing a triple seat In the 2nd row.

If 8 then why, as there are 4 mounts each with 2 holes.

Thanks

Back