So, it appears there's a growing amount of folks getting bent over by sellers when buying kombi second row belts. The issue is they actually getting supplied with shuttle second row belts - which don't work well for a kombi conversion.

If you want to keep the shuttle belts (supposedly longer than a kombi belt - though I havent measured either) and remove the shuttle top mount to fit a kombi type mount, here's how you can do it.

Initial layout:

20220125_153438.jpg

First, remove the mounting bolt:

20220125_153441.jpg
20220125_153449.jpg

Secondly, unclip the central plastic insert by pushing the top edge backwards, out and down to the horizontal. Then wiggle the plastic insert out the back.

20220125_153501.jpg

20220125_153511.jpg

20220125_153522.jpg

(Optional step) Thirdly, turn the mount over and unclip the edges of the outer plastic trim and remove it.

20220125_153550.jpg

20220125_153601.jpg

Leaves it like this:

20220125_153617.jpg

Next is to start unthreading the buckle, buckle position clip and lower mount through the top mount you are removing. Like so:

20220125_153633.jpg

20220125_153650.jpg

20220125_153702.jpg

20220125_153713.jpg

20220125_153731.jpg

There you go, now it's ready for your replacement top mount.

20220125_153752.jpg

Fitting your replacement top mount is pretty much the reverse of the above removal process. Just be mindful to load it onto the belt in the correct orientation and not to damage the webbing during the process!

Lastly, you do this at your own risk, it is a safety system you are fiddling with after all and I don't know how ham like your fists are! :D

Excellent foggy! I've ordered a complete golf mk4 seatbelt off of fleabay the top mount is same as kombi so I'll take it off and throw the rest, only cost me £12 posted! Better than the £170 some people on ebay seem to be selling genuine kombi belts. Also bought a genuine top bolt to go with it at £3.99.

Excellent foggy! I've ordered a complete golf mk4 seatbelt off of fleabay the top mount is same as kombi so I'll take it off and throw the rest, only cost me £12 posted! Better than the £170 some people on ebay seem to be selling genuine kombi belts. Also bought a genuine top bolt to go with it at £3.99.
Good job @ma77y ! :thumbsup:

I should have said in my post above, rear seat belt hangers are the only ones I've used to covert shuttle belts so far.

Height adjustable front seat belt hangers probably wouldn't work as well due to using a deeper plastic bushing in the centre bolt hole.

Basically anything with a basic fixed postion but pivoting rear seat belt top hanger. Mk4 golf, mk4 Jetta/bora, mk3/6N Polo, Lupo, etc.

Last edited:
I'll shave it down to fit if need be matey, I'm sure I'd be able to do that.
I'm sure you can fit the new bolt to it and gauge how much needs to be shaved off.

The bolt shoulder needs to go hard up against the van side without the plastic bottoming out. :thumbsup:

I'm sure you can fit the new bolt to it and gauge how much needs to be shaved off.

The bolt shoulder needs to go hard up against the van side without the plastic bottoming out. :thumbsup:
Correct mate that's the plan. I did have the vw doc and looks like there's a washer behind it.

Screenshot_20220125-172951_Gallery.jpg

and still going........

View attachment 23070 View attachment 23071 View attachment 23072 View attachment 23073 View attachment 23074

The rear seatbelt top mount bolt position on the C pillar was gained by measuring down from datum 1, the distance of 255mm kindly supplied by @Deaky. Then I used the VW reinforcement plates but drilled them either end in order to affix them with rivets.

View attachment 23075 View attachment 23076 View attachment 23077
255mm from datum 1

Ahh I don't know that. I'd say move a straight edge up from the inertia wheel till it hits the belt then measure the height from where the bottom of the panel sits to the straight edge and cut there. Cut a 4mm slot then file the hole at an angle so the belt slides through nice and smooth.

This is what I plan to do when I come to make mine.

Ahh I don't know that. I'd say move a straight edge up from the inertia wheel till it hits the belt then measure the height from where the bottom of the panel sits to the straight edge and cut there. Cut a 4mm slot then file the hole at an angle so the belt slides through nice and smooth.

This is what I plan to do when I come to make mine.
Cheers mate , I’ll keep the dimensions in case anyone else needs them when I’ve figured it out

Don’t suppose anyone knows what the closest rivnut size is to fitting into the original body panel holes ?

Hi all, just read through this whole thread Very helpful info.
I recently bought a lwb t5.1 panel van that I’m planning to convert into Kombi/camper but I’m planning to fit 3 singles in the 3rd row (1st row being the driver and passenger)
I know t6dsgchris has done this but he’s not been online for a while.
Has anyone else gone down this route??
If so I’m looking to find out if the underside brackets are the same as when fitted in the 2nd row?
Iv already bought the seats and all the brackets as I was planning to have a crack at it myself but now toying with paying a company to fit for me as I don’t have time but I’d like to make sure I have the correct brackets before booking it in.
I also need to sort out what I need for fitting 3rd row Kombi belts…. Iv ended up with shuttle belts like a few people on this thread

Cheers for any help in advance.
Russ

Back