Can someone please tell me if I need 8 of the silver double reinforcing plates or 4 please for installing a triple seat In the 2nd row.

If 8 then why, as there are 4 mounts each with 2 holes.

Thanks
You still need the 8 of the silver double reinforcement brackets.

The reason being, the seat mounts sit longitudinally in the van spanning crossmembers beneath the floor. The reinforcement brackets sit transverse along the sides of the crossmember so you can only pick up one hole per bracket. As shown crudely here:

20210930_202137.jpg

I believe it’s just one bolt on the reel and one on the pillar .
Then depending if you removing the plastic trim from the centre of the panel then you need to remove the plastic around the buckle to get it through the plastic

I believe it’s just one bolt on the reel and one on the pillar .
Then depending if you removing the plastic trim from the centre of the panel then you need to remove the plastic around the buckle to get it through the plastic
SorrY , very bad explanation

Does anyone know which reinforcing brackets I'd need to fit a triple bench in row 3? Would I need the 8 large ones or could I get away with the smaller ones?

Searched but can't find a definitive answer

Last edited:
You still need the 8 of the silver double reinforcement brackets.

The reason being, the seat mounts sit longitudinally in the van spanning crossmembers beneath the floor. The reinforcement brackets sit transverse along the sides of the crossmember so you can only pick up one hole per bracket. As shown crudely here:

View attachment 179622
That is just the image I was looking for. I have the tripple bench seat and am soon to fit to the 2nd row of my T5. Question I have is when fitting the triple bench seat, there will only be 4 x seat mounts on the top side of the van floor. This would mean if the redundant hole on the long angle brackets are bolted, it would be just through the skin of the van floor, rather than through a long angle bracket and the floor skin. Is this what is done on the factory combees?

That is just the image I was looking for. I have the tripple bench seat and am soon to fit to the 2nd row of my T5. Question I have is when fitting the triple bench seat, there will only be 4 x seat mounts on the top side of the van floor. This would mean if the redundant hole on the long angle brackets are bolted, it would be just through the skin of the van floor, rather than through a long angle bracket and the floor skin. Is this what is done on the factory combees?
Also, are all the bolt holes locations created in the underside skin of the van floor? (So you can use as a template to drill through from underneath). Or do you need to mark out on the van floor from inside the van and drill down? Thanks

I take it there aren't currently any seats in the rear of the van (it's just a bare panel van)? In which case, you only drill the holes you need for the 4 internal seat brackets (2 holes per seat bracket). There's no need to add extra bolts to populate all the holes in the underside reinforcing brackets.

Also, are all the bolt holes locations created in the underside skin of the van floor? (So you can use as a template to drill through from underneath). Or do you need to mark out on the van floor from inside the van and drill down? Thanks

No, you need to mark the floor on the inside of the van just as Elliot and myself have demonstrated further back in this thread. :thumbsup:

I take it there aren't currently any seats in the rear of the van (it's just a bare panel van)? In which case, you only drill the holes you need for the 4 internal seat brackets (2 holes per seat bracket). There's no need to add extra bolts to populate all the holes in the underside reinforcing brackets.

No, you need to mark the floor on the inside of the van just as Elliot and myself have demonstrated further back in this thread. :thumbsup:
It's just a bare panel van, no seats or predrilled holes. Ah right, so each bracket has an unused hole then. Sorry - I will take a more detailed look back through the tread. I can see the drawing of the hole distance for each bracket. Did you just measure your seat base for the distance between the quick release mounts? Thanks

It's just a bare panel van, no seats or predrilled holes. Ah right, so each bracket has an unused hole then. Sorry - I will take a more detailed look back through the tread. I can see the drawing of the hole distance for each bracket. Did you just measure your seat base for the distance between the quick release mounts? Thanks

Yeah if you see Elliot's posts number 2 & 3 on page 1: My Panel-van to Kombi-van build thread

and my posts number 31 & 33 on page 2: My Panel-van to Kombi-van build thread

.......all should become clear regarding bracket hole centers and distance between brackets.

Last edited:
Yeah if you see Elliot's posts number 2 & 3 on page 1: My Panel-van to Kombi-van build thread

and my posts number 31 & 33 on page 2: My Panel-van to Kombi-van build thread

.......all should become clear regarding bracket hole centers and distance between brackets.
So I am nearly done removing all the cowling from under the van. Even with exhaust middle 2 hanger bolts removed, there is not enough clearance to slide out the cowling that is over the exhaust middle section (inline with where the seat bolts fit). Do you think there is enough flex in the exhaust flexi joint for me to remove the exhaust back box hanger bolts and let the exhaust rest on the rear anti roll bar? I am hoping dropping the exhaust a couple of inches will give enough room to slide out that piece of cowling. (Also I am reluctant to try to split the exhaust because the joints are well rusted and will be a bit of a pig to split). Thanks

So I am nearly done removing all the cowling from under the van. Even with exhaust middle 2 hanger bolts removed, there is not enough clearance to slide out the cowling that is over the exhaust middle section (inline with where the seat bolts fit). Do you think there is enough flex in the exhaust flexi joint for me to remove the exhaust back box hanger bolts and let the exhaust rest on the rear anti roll bar? I am hoping dropping the exhaust a couple of inches will give enough room to slide out that piece of cowling. (Also I am reluctant to try to split the exhaust because the joints are well rusted and will be a bit of a pig to split). Thanks
Yeah it’s enough to get the heat shield out of the way, no need to split the exhaust

Yeah it’s enough to get the heat shield out of the way, no need to split the exhaust
So you think there is enough flex in the exhaust flexi joint at the engine end, not to damage anything with the exhaust left dropped sat on the rear anti roll bar?

So you think there is enough flex in the exhaust flexi joint at the engine end, not to damage anything with the exhaust left dropped sat on the rear anti roll bar?
I’m pretty adamant I didn’t split the exhaust. It was ~9 months ago now but I’m pretty certain I loosened it and rested the rear box on bricks, just enough to get the heat shield out.

I’m pretty adamant I didn’t split the exhaust. It was ~9 months ago now but I’m pretty certain I loosened it and rested the rear box on bricks, just enough to get the heat shield out.
Amazing. Will give that a go. Also, did you disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel tank when you dropped the fuel tank? Am thinking to try to only drop the tanks a couple of inches so hoping to not need to disconnect anything...

Amazing. Will give that a go. Also, did you disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel tank when you dropped the fuel tank? Am thinking to try to only drop the tanks a couple of inches so hoping to not need to disconnect anything...
No didn’t disconnect the fuel line. Took the weight with a jack, undid the brackets holding it up. Lowered it a few inches to get the nut on.

Back