Surfer looking for help - Kombi or Panel Van?

Marsim

Hi, this is a bit of a long one, sorry it's my OCD, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts/opinions re my cry for help!

Background
I currently have a large estate car, it has served me very well over the years, however, I'm fast running out of space and so now looking for a van to replace it for carry my growing range of surf/kite/ foil boards and associated kit around. Also, for mountain bikes trips and regular runs to the local tip. I intend to fit racking for my boards, also some form of storage for various other bits of kit.

I do around 5k miles p.a., majority are short local journeys with maybe an occasional longer trip away - 1 or 2 times max p.a. It's doubtful I'll ever need to carry more than one passenger, but having the option is always useful - realistically it's just a nice to have as my wife's car could be used on such occasions.

I'll carry out the work on my van myself - I'm a retired engineer with time on my hands and capable most things electrical/mechanical + I can call on mates who have experience of doing van conversions if needed.

My requirements
  • T6 or T6.1 Highline, 150bhp (I don't want/need higher), SWB
  • Automatic would be nice as long as economy and reliability are not an issue, but happy to have a manual
  • Tailgate is a must
  • Rear windows wanted, incl. in tailgate
  • Additional items to be considered if not suitable or in van when bought; durable waterproof/resistant flooring, decent heat/sound proofing + carpet lined, swivel passenger seat, internal lighting, racking/storage for boards and other kit - I'm thinking a bench seat fitted on one side with storage underneath would be useful + a small removable or folding table. A leisure battery capable of running a small fridge & lighting would be useful as well.
Re the above I'm not sure if Kombi or panel van is the best way forward,
  • As I see it the main pros for a Kombi as maybe already meeting a lot my above requirements as standard, but the rear seats would need to come out and I'd need to arrange storage somewhere (or sell them). The con for the Kombi is price and availability.
  • The pros for a panel van are mainly lower cost and more availability, although importantly, 150bhp and tailgate are not as available as 102/110 and/or barn doors models. The cons are the extra work & investment needed to meet my requirements, i.e., fitting windows, and others possibly already included as standard in the Kombi, i.e. interior trim, sound proofing, lining & flooring - I'm not sure but I may need to do some of this in a Kombi anyway, in which case it's less of an issue going with a panel van.
Budget: I could stretch it but hoping for around the £25k mark.

Open Questions
1) I've seen a lot more panel vans available with 102bhp/110 bhp than 150bhp, also more with barn doors. While I've read the lower powered models can be reliably improved by being chipped, nevertheless I hear the 150bhp is far better to drive, including because it's 6 speed. I can't verify this for myself as its difficult to arrange a meaningful test drive. So my question is, I'm I missing out by discounting the 102/110 models in favour of ones with 150bhp?

2) Passenger seating,
  • In the rear of a Kombi I've seen it where 2 of 3 the seats are left fitted, but is it possible to have it with just one seat fitted and mounted on the right behind the driver instead? If so, can this be made easily removable?
  • I've read the front bench seat is very uncomfortable (and very cramped seating 2), especially on long journeys - are they really that bad?
3) Does the Kombi come with a decent level of interior trim/comfort as standard, i.e., any sound proofing, lined, rugged flooring etc?

4) Concerning barn doors/tailgate; given there are far more barn door models available, how easy would it be to convert one to a tailgate? I've seen videos showing this but has anyone here had any experience of doing this? How easy and practical is it to do? Also, where's the best place to get all the necessary parts?

5) If my budget gives access to a T6.1, is it a significant improvement over the T6? I admit to preferring the interior layout and look of the T6, I'm also not a fan of the trend for large displays and controls via them, but there again I've heard the T6.1 is a big improvement - notwithstanding complaints about lack of driver footrests:)

6) There's a wide range of prices seen, old and new, on different sites (Autotrader, AA, FB, eBay etc.) so it's quite difficult to benchmark prices vs spec. As I see it the options I have for my requirements and budget are,
  • I could buy a late T6, possibly an early T6.1, but it would likely be a lower spec., so needing extra money / work done on it to meet my requirements. Also, any van here would very likely have a very high mileage (100k+), so I'd need to consider its impact on running costs/reliability etc.
  • Or for the same money I could buy an older T6 with low mileage and high spec., therefore not needing as much work done to it or additional outlay.
  • Lastly, reconsider my preference for 150bhp and look at 102/110 models - these are far more common, and I'd be able to get a newer model with relatively low mileage and one with a high spec.
7) Ignore the T6 / T6.1.....buy an older T5 and throw the money saved getting it either blinged up, or professionally converted to my exact requirements. Also, include having a major service done on it?

Decisions, decisions......

In conclusion
I can see the advantages of buying a Kombi - it may already meet a large part of what I want in its standard spec., but equally a panel van is a blank canvas and so might be easier to modify to meet my exact needs - this also sounds attractive.
Out of interest my surfing mates have a mix of Kombis and panel vans. The ones with Kombis often have their seat(s) permanently removed for more space, they are only put in for family use. The ones with panel vans are often also used for work and a hell of a mess, others have fitted bespoke DIY shelving/storage and look great.
I can't make my mind up which is best....perhaps my OCD is running away with me, but as I don't chop and change my vehicles often - I've had my Honda for 13 years - I want to get it right before I make the change.

Any help/thoughts from you learned people would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Simon

I converted a panel van to a camper, for bike trips with family. Thoughts relevant to some of your questions-

The bench seat is fine, so a good option for three people in the front. However, none of our passengers are especially large.

Consider a LWB. You can still park it in a regular space, and the options for bike and board storage are much better on the LWB.

Fitting insulation and flooring is straightforward, and if you are planning your own racks then starting from an empty van makes it easier, as you can see where the frames are to fix into, and also run your cables.

Windows are fairly easy to fit yourself, so don’t worry if the van doesn’t have glass.

Definitely budget for a diesel heater under the floor. I have a cheap Veevor one, other people go for the £££ Webasto option. I can’t imagine surfing or MTB outside of August without one. I bought my heater before the van even arrived!

Aircon is very useful, so Highline or Business Pack would be good to look out for.

I use Apple CarPlay all the time, for SatNav and Spotify, so that was on my list.

I converted a panel van to a camper, for bike trips with family. Thoughts relevant to some of your questions-

The bench seat is fine, so a good option for three people in the front. However, none of our passengers are especially large.

Consider a LWB. You can still park it in a regular space, and the options for bike and board storage are much better on the LWB.

Fitting insulation and flooring is straightforward, and if you are planning your own racks then starting from an empty van makes it easier, as you can see where the frames are to fix into, and also run your cables.

Windows are fairly easy to fit yourself, so don’t worry if the van doesn’t have glass.

Definitely budget for a diesel heater under the floor. I have a cheap Veevor one, other people go for the £££ Webasto option. I can’t imagine surfing or MTB outside of August without one. I bought my heater before the van even arrived!

Aircon is very useful, so Highline or Business Pack would be good to look out for.

I use Apple CarPlay all the time, for SatNav and Spotify, so that was on my list.

Thanks for the speedy response.

I can definitely see the advantage of panel van, and hearing your comments about the ease of fitting windows and flooring gives me added confidence.

I know what you mean about heaters, I was out kiting the other day with a mate and sitting in the warmth from his heater was amazing after our session.

Re LWB, I can see the advantage if I wanting a camper - I hired a LWB for a trip with my wife, I'm 6'2" and she's not far behind, it was cosy so can imagine a SWB would too small, but I'm not planning on it being camper and my gear will easily fit in a SWB but I've not completely ruled a LWB out.

Interested to hear what power output you have?

Thx

From your description I’d go for a panel van, look for a highline spec and the 150bhp DSG combo is great. 102 manual are more economical and if usually empty/ lightly loaded it’s more than adequate. Get one with AC which can’t be sensibly retrofitted, most other bits can be added. Also LED headlights (but not many PV’s have them!), otherwise VW H7 lights or THQ are a worthwhile upgrade.
Good luck in your search

I’ve had 2 Transporters… the first was a panel van with barn doors (140 DSG) that I converted to a full Kombi myself. The current one is a factory Kombi (150 DSG). My van is my daily driver and neither have been converted to a camper spec so perhaps my use case is closer to yours than someone who runs a full campervan.

The factory Kombi came with interior panelling but wasn't really sound proofed or insulated - I still had to do this myself as part of carpeting the rear on both vans.

The factory Kombi came with a nice padded rubber floor.

DSG and Highline spec are a must imho.

Everyone says LED lights are a must too - I really don’t drive far and hardly ever at night so not too bothered that my vans had standard lights, although in this van I have LED H4 bulbs and they are a huge improvement. You’re really limiting your search if you insist on factory LEDs but they might be important to you.

I much prefer the tailgate to the barn doors - both in looks and practicality.

You can get a 3 seater bench, 2+1 and a 1+1+1 arrangement for the rear seats in a Kombi. These are all on quick release brackets in the floor. If you had a 1+1+1 then yes, you could remove two and leave one behind the driver. If you had a 2+1 then you could remove the 2 behind the driver or the 1 behind the passenger.

If you really wanted just one behind the driver then you would need to fit another 4x floor brackets (about £100 on eBay and 8x holes in the floor) and find a single Kombi seat to put behind the driver.

My first van had a passenger bench seat and it was horrible to sit on and made the van much less accessible than the two singles where you can step through to the rear. I swapped the bench for a single at huge expense so was keen to get two singles on my current one.

l really didn’t enjoy cutting holes in my previous van for the windows. Yes, I could have bought another PV and got someone else to do it but my man maths worked like this….

£900 for a passenger single seat
£500 for windows (more if someone else fitted them)
£1000 for the genuine Kombi conversion parts
£xxxx in time and frustration

Luckily my budget allowed me to go for a factory Kombi this time and I’m so glad I did - I love it.

I enjoy adding stuff, doing mods and fitting things, but I just couldn’t be bothered with the windows or the Kombi conversion again - I’ve still found plenty of other things to buy for it and still spent loads on it but at least I haven’t had to cut holes in it or drop the fuel tank and exhaust this time.

Good luck

Last edited:
I'd go for a panel van personally. If it's only you or two of you fit it out with a bed, etc, and you can use it for a bit of stealth parking at some surf spots that don't allow camper vans/motorhomes.
You can get 102/150 panel vans with tailgates, all mine have had them.
Oh yes, led lights are a must have.

From your description I’d go for a panel van, look for a highline spec and the 150bhp DSG combo is great. 102 manual are more economical and if usually empty/ lightly loaded it’s more than adequate. Get one with AC which can’t be sensibly retrofitted, most other bits can be added. Also LED headlights (but not many PV’s have them!), otherwise VW H7 lights or THQ are a worthwhile upgrade.
Good luck in your search
Thanks Paul

I’ve had 2 Transporters… the first was a panel van with barn doors (140 DSG) that I converted to a full Kombi myself. The current one is a factory Kombi (150 DSG). My van is my daily driver and neither have been converted to a camper spec so perhaps my use case is closer to yours than someone who runs a full campervan.

The factory Kombi came with interior panelling but wasn't really sound proofed or insulated - I still had to do this myself as part of carpeting the rear on both vans.

The factory Kombi came with a nice padded rubber floor.

DSG and Highline spec are a must imho.

Everyone says LED lights are a must too - I really don’t drive far and hardly ever at night so not too bothered that my vans had standard lights, although in this van I have LED H4 bulbs and they are a huge improvement. You’re really limiting your search if you insist on factory LEDs but they might be important to you.

I much prefer the tailgate to the barn doors - both in looks and practicality.

You can get a 3 seater bench, 2+1 and a 1+1+1 arrangement for the rear seats in a Kombi. These are all on quick release brackets in the floor. If you had a 1+1+1 then yes, you could remove two and leave one behind the driver. If you had a 2+1 then you could remove the 2 behind the driver or the 1 behind the passenger.

If you really wanted just one behind the driver then you would need to fit another 4x floor brackets (about £100 on eBay and 8x holes in the floor) and find a single Kombi seat to put behind the driver.

My first van had a passenger bench seat and it was horrible to sit on and made the van much less accessible than the two singles where you can step through to the rear. I swapped the bench for a single at huge expense so was keen to get two singles on my current one.

l really didn’t enjoy cutting holes in my previous van for the windows. Yes, I could have bought another PV and got someone else to do it but my man maths worked like this….

£900 for a passenger single seat
£500 for windows (more if someone else fitted them)
£1000 for the genuine Kombi conversion parts
£xxxx in time and frustration

Luckily my budget allowed me to go for a factory Kombi this time and I’m so glad I did - I love it.

I enjoy adding stuff, doing mods and fitting things, but I just couldn’t be bothered with the windows or the Kombi conversion again - I’ve still found plenty of other things to buy for it and still spent loads on it but at least I haven’t had to cut holes in it or drop the fuel tank and exhaust this time.

Good luck
Hi, ok so even with Kombi sounds like there's still the need to rip out side panels and add decent sound proofing - good to know, as is your view on the front bench seat and hadn't thought about less assess & step through issue - thanks.

What was the reason for dropping the fuel tank and exhaust?
Cheers

I'd go for a panel van personally. If it's only you or two of you fit it out with a bed, etc, and you can use it for a bit of stealth parking at some surf spots that don't allow camper vans/motorhomes.
You can get 102/150 panel vans with tailgates, all mine have had them.
Oh yes, led lights are a must have.
Thanks, a friend always stealth camps - I'd happily slum it on a camp bed if went on my own. My wife likes her creature comforts so we'd use a hotel for b&b if went together ( would be more than my life's worth suggesting sleeping in PV!)

Dunno how often you plan on visiting the local tip but our council won’t allow panel vans, unless you apply for vouchers proving you have no other access to any vehicle and then only 1 voucher per month!! mines been converted with windows and rear seats so they let me in with no issues but If the seats aren’t in there they won’t let me in!! :rolleyes: Ha ha it’s madness!!

Dunno how often you plan on visiting the local tip but our council won’t allow panel vans, unless you apply for vouchers proving you have no other access to any vehicle and then only 1 voucher per month!! mines been converted with windows and rear seats so they let me in with no issues but If the seats aren’t in there they won’t let me in!! :rolleyes: Ha ha it’s madness!!
South Glos Council does if you register it on their website as a private vehicle.

Local tip here only opens Fri-Sun with vans only allowed on Sundays, not sure if can register a PV as private but my mate has Kombi and they let him in any time!

Yeah last time I went I had to open the door cos they couldn’t see the seats through the rear tint:rofl:

Hi, this is a bit of a long one, sorry it's my OCD, but I'd really appreciate any thoughts/opinions re my cry for help!

Background
I currently have a large estate car, it has served me very well over the years, however, I'm fast running out of space and so now looking for a van to replace it for carry my growing range of surf/kite/ foil boards and associated kit around. Also, for mountain bikes trips and regular runs to the local tip. I intend to fit racking for my boards, also some form of storage for various other bits of kit.

I do around 5k miles p.a., majority are short local journeys with maybe an occasional longer trip away - 1 or 2 times max p.a. It's doubtful I'll ever need to carry more than one passenger, but having the option is always useful - realistically it's just a nice to have as my wife's car could be used on such occasions.

I'll carry out the work on my van myself - I'm a retired engineer with time on my hands and capable most things electrical/mechanical + I can call on mates who have experience of doing van conversions if needed.

My requirements
  • T6 or T6.1 Highline, 150bhp (I don't want/need higher), SWB
  • Automatic would be nice as long as economy and reliability are not an issue, but happy to have a manual
  • Tailgate is a must
  • Rear windows wanted, incl. in tailgate
  • Additional items to be considered if not suitable or in van when bought; durable waterproof/resistant flooring, decent heat/sound proofing + carpet lined, swivel passenger seat, internal lighting, racking/storage for boards and other kit - I'm thinking a bench seat fitted on one side with storage underneath would be useful + a small removable or folding table. A leisure battery capable of running a small fridge & lighting would be useful as well.
Re the above I'm not sure if Kombi or panel van is the best way forward,
  • As I see it the main pros for a Kombi as maybe already meeting a lot my above requirements as standard, but the rear seats would need to come out and I'd need to arrange storage somewhere (or sell them). The con for the Kombi is price and availability.
  • The pros for a panel van are mainly lower cost and more availability, although importantly, 150bhp and tailgate are not as available as 102/110 and/or barn doors models. The cons are the extra work & investment needed to meet my requirements, i.e., fitting windows, and others possibly already included as standard in the Kombi, i.e. interior trim, sound proofing, lining & flooring - I'm not sure but I may need to do some of this in a Kombi anyway, in which case it's less of an issue going with a panel van.
Budget: I could stretch it but hoping for around the £25k mark.

Open Questions
1) I've seen a lot more panel vans available with 102bhp/110 bhp than 150bhp, also more with barn doors. While I've read the lower powered models can be reliably improved by being chipped, nevertheless I hear the 150bhp is far better to drive, including because it's 6 speed. I can't verify this for myself as its difficult to arrange a meaningful test drive. So my question is, I'm I missing out by discounting the 102/110 models in favour of ones with 150bhp?

2) Passenger seating,
  • In the rear of a Kombi I've seen it where 2 of 3 the seats are left fitted, but is it possible to have it with just one seat fitted and mounted on the right behind the driver instead? If so, can this be made easily removable?
  • I've read the front bench seat is very uncomfortable (and very cramped seating 2), especially on long journeys - are they really that bad?
3) Does the Kombi come with a decent level of interior trim/comfort as standard, i.e., any sound proofing, lined, rugged flooring etc?

4) Concerning barn doors/tailgate; given there are far more barn door models available, how easy would it be to convert one to a tailgate? I've seen videos showing this but has anyone here had any experience of doing this? How easy and practical is it to do? Also, where's the best place to get all the necessary parts?

5) If my budget gives access to a T6.1, is it a significant improvement over the T6? I admit to preferring the interior layout and look of the T6, I'm also not a fan of the trend for large displays and controls via them, but there again I've heard the T6.1 is a big improvement - notwithstanding complaints about lack of driver footrests:)

6) There's a wide range of prices seen, old and new, on different sites (Autotrader, AA, FB, eBay etc.) so it's quite difficult to benchmark prices vs spec. As I see it the options I have for my requirements and budget are,
  • I could buy a late T6, possibly an early T6.1, but it would likely be a lower spec., so needing extra money / work done on it to meet my requirements. Also, any van here would very likely have a very high mileage (100k+), so I'd need to consider its impact on running costs/reliability etc.
  • Or for the same money I could buy an older T6 with low mileage and high spec., therefore not needing as much work done to it or additional outlay.
  • Lastly, reconsider my preference for 150bhp and look at 102/110 models - these are far more common, and I'd be able to get a newer model with relatively low mileage and one with a high spec.
7) Ignore the T6 / T6.1.....buy an older T5 and throw the money saved getting it either blinged up, or professionally converted to my exact requirements. Also, include having a major service done on it?

Decisions, decisions......

In conclusion
I can see the advantages of buying a Kombi - it may already meet a large part of what I want in its standard spec., but equally a panel van is a blank canvas and so might be easier to modify to meet my exact needs - this also sounds attractive.
Out of interest my surfing mates have a mix of Kombis and panel vans. The ones with Kombis often have their seat(s) permanently removed for more space, they are only put in for family use. The ones with panel vans are often also used for work and a hell of a mess, others have fitted bespoke DIY shelving/storage and look great.
I can't make my mind up which is best....perhaps my OCD is running away with me, but as I don't chop and change my vehicles often - I've had my Honda for 13 years - I want to get it right before I make the change.

Any help/thoughts from you learned people would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Simon
Respectfully Simon, why are you asking people you don't know what's best for you?

Whats best for your needs mate? What do you actually need?
We can't tell you what you need, only you can do that.
Consider what works best for you my friend. And build something that is functional and perfect for you.

Go to a dealer and have a look at a range of fit outs... yiure not going to buy.... just go and tell the dealer what you want...take a surfboard with you.. try it out.. its free to look isnt it..... just go do some research and decide what you actually need.

Back