Headlights so dull

Hi all, just got a t6 and im not very impressed with the headlights, is there any easy way to uprate them? I’m in Devon and spend half my life on very dark lanes
@Jambon73 , all I,d say is research fully b4 you buy. When I bought my Van, it came with some T_Lite DRL LEDs, wiring is crap and will now need to go in for a re wire. read posts on here. This site is invaluable.

Am I right to assume you have to change the entire light unit to upgrade to the h7? I’m a bit of a newbie to all this!
Yep, the whole light. It’s a less than 2 hour job. All the instructions are in the thread I linked. Bumper off, swap lights (simple plug and play swap), bumper back on then code dipped to stay on with main beam.

You can do the coding with Carista using the free Beta version of the app. Carista is often reduced on Amazon. I paid £17 a few weeks ago.

Just make sure you swap any bulbs before fitting the new lights as it’s a real pain once they are fitted.

@Jambon73 it really isn’t that difficult to fit them. Either buy a secondhand set or you can order genuine ones with all the updated bulbs here

If you need a hand fitting them drive over to Torquay and I’ll help you fit them. It’ll only take an hour and I’ll even be able to Code them so you have the full beam on with the normal main beam.
Thanks John, good to know I’ve got someone knowledgeable round the corner! You think there’s no point just uprating the bulbs?

We’re having a conversation on another thread started today about the same predicament
Don’t waste your money on bulbs for the h4 just upgrade the light unit done mine 6months ago to h7’s one of the best things I’ve done to the van

Hi folks... Would these LED DRL V3 Headlights be a good buy for my T6 van I wonder?...Or can I simply improve my headlight performance another cheaper way?? But I don't want to do anything complicated or risky involving coding the van etc...

VW T6 LED DRL V3 Headlights – Black. Today I found them at £485.00 on VW Transporter Parts, Styling & Accessories | Campervan Conversions .
Assuming I choose the associated bulb types as: Standard H7 Dipped Beam Bulb, and Standard H1 Main Beam Bulb. Clear Diffuser.

Hi folks... Would these LED DRL V3 Headlights be a good buy for my T6 van I wonder?...Or can I simply improve my headlight performance another cheaper way?? But I don't want to do anything complicated or risky involving coding the van etc...

VW T6 LED DRL V3 Headlights – Black. Today I found them at £485.00 on VW Transporter Parts, Styling & Accessories | Campervan Conversions .
Assuming I choose the associated bulb types as: Standard H7 Dipped Beam Bulb, and Standard H1 Main Beam Bulb. Clear Diffuser.
Only a side note really, but whether you choose these or the VW H7 you will need to code them for the main and dipped beam to come on together. That’s how they are meant to work. It’s set differently on the H4 because dipped and main use the same bulb in the same lense unit.

Only a side note really, but whether you choose these or the VW H7 you will need to code them for the main and dipped beam to come on together. That’s how they are meant to work. It’s set differently on the H4 because dipped and main use the same bulb in the same lense unit.
oh OK thanks for explaining. So how do I go about getting them coded for the main and dipped beam to come on together?

oh OK thanks for explaining. So how do I go about getting them coded for the main and dipped beam to come on together?
Find someone local to you on the VCDS map, or buy a Carista and sign up for the beta, if you time it right you get a free week.

But don't do it with your H4s, you'll burn them out! Apparently an old rally practice.

Yes, it would work, similar performance to getting the OEM H7s but with the Led DRL.

Some reviews have said the Led indicator strip is not very visible in some circumstances, but I had heard they had improved them in the latest version.

As said above, still would need coding.

As others have said, you can get the van coded to illuminate both dipped beam and main beam together when main beam is selected, but there is another way.
I bought a small loom adapter that does the same thing without coding changes. This worked perfectly with my Transporter HQ V2 headlights;

I thought you didn't want to spend loads?!

Fitting the LED DRLs is the same process as the H7s, including bumper off and coding for the dipped lights. The dipped beam on them will not be as bright as H7s with the same halogen bulb as the projector is less efficient and reduces output compared to a simple reflector. This can be overcome by fitting LED or HID bulbs but that pushes the price up even further. Some of them also seem to be prone to wiring issues and other faults - have a search on the forum.

The coding is really, really simple with Carista. It literally takes 2 minutes and is no more complex than selecting on instead of off. Having Carista is also useful in the longterm if you ever have any warning lights come on and want to see what is wrong. I got mine for £17 off Amazon.

I would sum up the options as:

1. Upgraded bulbs (e.g. Osram Nightbreaker) for your existing H4s - cheapest (£30ish) but very, very limited increase in performance. Some go for LED or HID bulbs but they are illegal and are a specified MOT failure.
2. Fit secondhand H7s with new halogen bulbs - next cheapest (£110ish) - v good increase in performance on dipped, excellent on main - more complex as bumper needs removing and quick code to keep dipped on with main.
3. Fit LED DRL - expensive at £500+ - only get a good increase in dipped performance with LED/HID bulbs - same fitment process as H7s. Look good but some have faults and DRL/indicator can be dim.

Good luck!

You don’t say where in Derbyshire you are, but if you’re near the W. Yorks end and fancy a trip to Holmfirth then I can code them for you in 5 minutes.

Hi all, thought I’d give the updated bulbs a go as suggested by @boxelder and I have to say I’m very pleased with the result. Paid 18.99 for a pair of osram nightbreaker 200% and the difference is massive, I’d really like to upgrade to the THQ as they look great, but this is a budget solution I’d really recommend.

Glad you're happy, as having done a lot more night time driving recently, I'm impressed too. I'm sure that they won't be as good on more urban roads with lots of additional light around, but darker, hedge-lined rural roads, they are great. As with most things on this forum, everybody's views on what's good enough will vary, and my other car's a fairly basic 1 litre Polo, so everything's relative :D

I also upgraded my bulbs in my H4 units to the Osram Nightbreakers. Much better than standard and fraction of price of changing the light units. I know they are not nearly as good as H7 etc but I am happy with the difference compared to how much I spent.

Reactions: CAB
Hi all, thought I’d give the updated bulbs a go as suggested by @boxelder and I have to say I’m very pleased with the result. Paid 18.99 for a pair of osram nightbreaker 200% and the difference is massive, I’d really like to upgrade to the THQ as they look great, but this is a budget solution I’d really recommend.
Hi , do you have a link to the bulbs and is it an easy swap out? Thanks

Hi , do you have a link to the bulbs and is it an easy swap out? Thanks
I’m not cunning enough to get a link but Google PowerBulbs or AutoBulbsDirect - both online retailers which use the genuine product. I know there are dodgy copies of the Philips bulbs so these shops are worth a look. I have the Philips 150% extra in H4 and they are definitely a worthwhile upgrade. They do a plus 200% now but remember it’s plus 200% on the minimum required amount of light to be road legal, not necessarily 200% over a standard bulb. I still find them noticeably brighter and a better light colour.

Back