H4 To H7 Upgrade

Good luck whoever gets! Great price. My saga on headlights ended thanks to this forum. Drove back from lakes today, much happier with h7!!
Excellent.
I’ve got a set of H7’s in the garage that I’ve fitted all brand new bulbs into. Osram nightbreakers 200% just waiting for some other bits that I want to fit at the same time I have the bumper off to save taking it off twice.

But……. I keep looking at these THQ ones and think should I shouldn’t I. @Pewt has thrown a massive spanner in my works with his HID THQs.

I want that one…..

These came in my H7’s as DRL lights.
Does anyone know if these will throw up the bulb error light and are these any good?
Wondering whether to try them or swap them for the Twenty20 ones people on here use?

IMG_4642.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

@LBird80 Just plug the new lights in and test them before starting to fit them. The wiring will just about reach the new lights propped on top of the slam panel.

Just what I was looking for Ed!!
A Top Draw post !!
I’m running on H 4’s but not for much longer, it’s a trip to the shop for some much needed H 7’s
Happy Days

Reactions: CAB
Fitted my H7’s today and well happy with them. All coded with Carista Beta too.

Quick question. I have the auto headlights and when the switch is set to off the DRL lights up on its own. If I set the switch to auto the DRL and the dipped come on together.
Is it possible to change this so just the DRL is on in the day when it’s not dark enough to need the dipped?

Looks much better with just the H7 DRL and the new lower grill DRL on together in the day.

If you have the headlight switch in the OFF position, you'll have just DRLs. Surely if the headlights come on in AUTO, they ought to be on, however you shouldn't be getting DRLs and dipped beam together. Have you got factory Auto Lights, or a aftermarket switch and sensor from Chinastan?

Granted they do seem to come on quite early, but sometimes they are triggered by having low sun behind you. As we all know, headlights should be turned on to make you more visible in that situation.

If you have the headlight switch in the OFF position, you'll have just DRLs. Surely if the headlights come on in AUTO, they ought to be on, however you shouldn't be getting DRLs and dipped beam together. Have you got factory Auto Lights, or a aftermarket switch and sensor from Chinastan?

Granted they do seem to come on quite early, but sometimes they are triggered by having low sun behind you. As we all know, headlights should be turned on to make you more visible in that situation.
Sorry you’re right. It’s not the DRL and dipped when the switch is in auto. It’s is just the dipped.
Yes factory auto lights.
Maybe they are just overly sensitive and I should try them in a few more differing light situations maybe.
Would shining a bright torch on the sensor work to test it?

Passenger side only.

Bargain anyway, £57 delivered.

Passenger side only.

Bargain anyway, £57 delivered.

Looks like a non genuine one if I'm not mistaken, not that it'll matter to much

Long time lurker here.. Got a 2018 van, fitted with the utterly shocking (dangerous, stupid, rubbish, pathetic, etc) H4 headlights and need to make a change. Also have a 2017 Passat GTE with LEDs, so a bit spoilt and know what good lights should look like, but can't justify the cost of LED upgrade done properly (with self levelling and washers).

I've been looking at a pair of the VW H7 units (used or new) vs the THQ H11/H1 v3 units. Seems the projector in the THQ option would allow for a better beam pattern and potentially a sneaky LED H11 bulb and I can afford them, if they are worthwhile over the H7s.

I know it's difficult because opinions differ and really I'm looking for someone who has gone H4 > H7 > THQ and therefore knows first hand the difference, but that's a fairly specific path.

Recent posts in here suggest the H7 is a good upgrade over the H4 - if I was near Kettering I'd probably put down £80 and do the swap, but I'd always wonder if it was worth the effort and the cost saving and whether I should have just gone with the THQ. Don't really like sequential indicators or DRLs/indicators in the same place but that appears to be the trade off for THQs.

Thanks in advance!

Back