ah ok, just phoned them.. No-one has signed off atall at VW.. I have found in the body builders guidelines however that any cuts to the A,B,C or D pillars isnt permitted...

Hmm....I've actually just booked to have my heater fitted at Exploria using the OEM B pillar ducting.
So does this mean a serious insurance implication?

tbh, i've no idea in the UK! Here in Switzerland it was a big no-go from VW.

I did the B pillar style fit on my own van several years ago and due to the cuts to the B pillar hadn't intendid to offer it to customers but I am being asked for it so frequently now I was planning on starting to offer the service. I think I might have to make a call to VW to get the green light first now.

Hello all. I have an update to finish off my install.
On the last Monday of March I drove down to Propex Leisure in Ringwood to get the LPG tank, heater and BBQ point installed.
I was feeling super confident as I booked the van in and handed over the keys. Let’s just say it was short lived! So short in fact that the cup of coffee they’d made me as I arrived hadn’t even touched my lips when the chap came out of the workshop and said “well your clever idea isn’t gonna work!” Perhaps it’s just as well that I hadn’t taken a sip of coffee or he may have got covered in it.
Got out to the workshop and saw what he was on about. Ultimately, because the inlet and outlet for the Propex heater are both on the same end, it wouldn’t fit between the OEM ducts under the van.

52C1C5FE-CFA6-44EE-8CD9-8E9C3BA4FFC4.jpeg

I asked why the unit had to be mounted exactly there, could it not be moved off centre or some other arrangement. The answer was no as this is where their bracket is made to fit. Ultimately as this is a bespoke fitting to equipment that makes it look OEM inside, this was not the answer I really wanted. However, after lots of head scratching a plan was hatched.

The warm air outlet could fit on the duct that passes up into the b-post, and this is the most important to be as straight in line as possible. I had to remove the rubber connector from that duct, and mounted the 90-60mm plastic reducer directly onto the duct.

86BA8DC1-E297-4FB9-9F4B-1193B8824D09.jpeg

However, to do this meant that the front OEM duct had to go. I keep telling myself that it’s ok as this about getting the heating system I want with the right look inside the van.
This left me with a hole in the step where the duct was originally ported. So made a panel that was bonded and riveted in place over the top.

69017945-E449-44EF-92FF-0F36920EB748.jpeg

In order to get the air recirculation duct work in behind the grill in the OEM step i’ve had to use some bits and bobs from Propex to achieve this, which then runs in above the heater unit under the van, which then curves round to connect to the unit.

66AB55ED-AD6E-4037-A263-71A0C4703121.jpeg

@DaveyB a great post mate, vary honest and open. Some don't post like this but the fact that your original idea didn't go to plan, will help others in there future plans.
Well done for not throwing in the towel. You have a system that works all bar not quite how you intended.

Ok so it is not the prettiest, but you can’t see it
60DBD91D-08DE-4667-942B-A36F090E808A.jpeg

It has given me exactly the system I wanted so that the LPG tank will not only run the Cadac but also the heating; all coming into the van using OEM parts.

1AD35568-C6EC-467A-9D4C-23319C933D21.jpeg

So was it straightforward - no. But am I happy - yes. As I’ve said, it’s bespoke to achieve what I wanted, so it was never going to be plainsailing. Majority of folk will probably not want their van messing around in such a way, but everything is solid and sealed so no problem.

382C3F5A-930B-46DE-9D11-2AE77645F58D.jpeg

I would like to thank @Fish who I was on the phone to and WhatsApp’ing loads of pictures to, for about an hour when we were trying to figure out how to get it all to fit and work when down at Propex. :thumbsup:. He came up with a few ideas that led us towards the path that I ended up going down.
Let’s be honest, it’s all his bloomin fault anyway as he is always suggesting things that I think “mmm i’d like to do that to my van”.:p

well done for sticking with it and coming up with a solution.im still trying to summon up the courage to make that first cut into my "B" pillar.

well done for sticking with it and coming up with a solution.im still trying to summon up the courage to make that first cut into my "B" pillar.
It is seriously daunting I agree. Take your time, measure twice, cut once :thumbsup:

Whats the worst that can happen.. you have to re-plate the cut?.. tape all cables out the way.. and crack on.

@DaveyB awesome thread mate. Especially useful last few posts showing the fitting issue with the propex as I am also going to be fitting a propex (mine is a HS2211 and looks a bit different than yours but the air in/out are on the one end like yours).

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on your thread with questions but what bracket are you using for the propex? I’m not that fussed about making the fitting OEM underneath so I’m wondering if I could simply rotate the propex 90 degrees and then utilise both OEM duct routes using a custom bracket?

@DaveyB awesome thread mate. Especially useful last few posts showing the fitting issue with the propex as I am also going to be fitting a propex (mine is a HS2211 and looks a bit different than yours but the air in/out are on the one end like yours).

Hope you don’t mind me jumping on your thread with questions but what bracket are you using for the propex? I’m not that fussed about making the fitting OEM underneath so I’m wondering if I could simply rotate the propex 90 degrees and then utilise both OEM duct routes using a custom bracket?
No problem at all asking questions @xpfloyd, that’s what this is all about.
The bracket is the one that Propex use, and have had made specifically for their units, which bolts in to a captive nut that is already present on the inside of the sill (it’s normally covered by the undervan plastic’s and a big black grommet style thing).
I was trying the same thought process whilst under the van at Propex’s unit in ringwood, I.e rotating the heater unit through 90deg, however because of the size of the unit and the strengthening box sections that run down the length of the van, just could not see a way to get it to fit any other way. Propex weren’t interested in manufacturing a bespoke bracket, and wouldn’t offer such a service, it was a case of this is the bracket take it or leave it.
The air outlet from the unit into the van (flow side) does really want to be as straight as possible so a bend is possibly not the right thing either.
If your unit is bigger than the one I have, then it’ll be a bugger to get onto pipework to deploy somewhere similar to the OEM points.
If you want to talk anything through or explore further then you are welcome to PM me and i’ll send you my number.

Thanks @DaveyB , I think the first thing I need to do is get the van up in the air a bit and see what’s what space wise and go from there. Ideally want the heater installed before I pay someone to plumb the gas from the lpg tank. Out of curiosity what model of propex do you have? Think I’ll also give propex leisure a call too

Edit - just realised how far south they were. Autogas it is then!

Thanks @DaveyB , I think the first thing I need to do is get the van up in the air a bit and see what’s what space wise and go from there. Ideally want the heater installed before I pay someone to plumb the gas from the lpg tank. Out of curiosity what model of propex do you have? Think I’ll also give propex leisure a call too
I have the HS2000, and this was the one they recommended. Not sure which the HS2211 is. Is that the one that also has the ability to work from an electric hookup?

It’s quoted as being for underslung use but is basically the same as the hs2000. Looks like all I needed was the hs2000o_O

It’s quoted as being for underslung use but is basically the same as the hs2000. Looks like all I needed was the hs2000o_O
Have seen a couple of other folk running the HS2000 and the heat output is fine.
Have just looked at the website and can’t see how the 2211 differs.

Back