Very interesting comment. What about the thousands that are fitted inside vans, and trucks and boats. For example the one in my boat is in a cockpit locker, like most, which is open to the bilges and the rest of the boat.

well the silencer isnt normally fitted inside i dont think? And the webasto guy said if you want a gas tight one you need to buy a marine one... so i guess they are gas tight..?

just had a chat to Webasto dealer and its to do wit hthe fact that the webasto & eber silencers are not gas tight, therefore with underbody protection the CO could build up and not escape.. potentially going into the van.. o_O

:thumbsdown:

Ah I see, we're talking about the exhaust, yes on my boat this goes through the hull and outside. Does not the same apply on the t6 installation, the exhaust / silencer should vent outside ? Surely the under chassis protection isn't gas tight? Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, I'm planning on installing mine soon so keen to expand my understanding!

im going for an external mount for the heater, and therefore also the exhaust silencer, but in my instructions for Webasto they state that its not 'available' if fitted with underbody protection.. i was asking if anyone knew why.. As CO is lighter than air, it can get stored behind the protection and potentially rise up inside the vehicle.. Through any small holes etc.. (cant think of any at the moment, but the T6 isnt sealed tight..).

As the actual silencer isnt gas tight, its that thats the issue, not where the piping is pointing (down and away from the direction of travel)..

As far as i understand..

Ah ha, I see - guess that applies to ALL external installs with a silencer then, wonder why Eberspacher and the others don't seem to say anything about this, I assume it's the standard silencer in their external kits?

yup... indeed.

from bowers:
Product Code: EBE251864810100

Exhaust silencer

***NOT SUITABLE FOR MOUNTING INTERNALLY (I.E. MARINE USE) AS NOT GAS TIGHT***

Marine silencer also available (see related products)

Additional Information:

• Suitable for 24mm exhaust

Brand:
Eberspacher

MPN:

Cross Reference:
Webasto 90378C

Quick question - what would be the impact of not fitting the step outlet but just having the B pillar outlets?
Is the step outlet the 'major' outlet for the heater?
I'm talking to a company about fitting a Webasto but their thoughts are not to fit the step vent. I'm just thinking this through - would this significantly compromise the output of the heater?

The step vent is the intake for heater

uhm, the step 'vent' is an air inlet (unless im not understanding the manual?!). its the easiest of the cuts to make as you have a flat surface and the ducting gives a shape to cut..

The B-pillar cut gives the heat output into the van.. but the B-pillar cut (done after the fact, as in DIY) isnt accepted in Switzerland by VW.. i dont know how it can be elsewhere?!

what are the company's thoughts behind this?? - are they webasto installers - this would make me doubt their competance?

Thanks guys - expanding my total lack of knowledge.
Yes the company in question is an experienced Webasto fitter.
Presumably the air inlet could be outside the vehicle - is there any reason why it needs to be inside?

YH - can you give me their name? VW switzerland basically were waiting on Webasto to sign off on the installation - ie if they said it was ok then they'd be ok... if Webasto uk are ok i dont see why VW wouldnt be? It might help me enormously!

OK - have just been reading the Webasto manuals that I can find.
My thoughts are that the main concern about not using the step intake is to ensure that if the heating air intake is outside and below the van it cannot draw in any exhaust fumes.
I suppose the disadvantage of using the step vent is that the heater can only re-circulate the air that is in the van - it cannot draw in fresh air from outside.

YH - can you give me their name? VW switzerland basically were waiting on Webasto to sign off on the installation - ie if they said it was ok then they'd be ok... if Webasto uk are ok i dont see why VW wouldnt be? It might help me enormously!

I don't know at this stage whether this company has had any discussions with Webasto. I happened to be at Slidepods having a couple of warranty issues attended to and took the opportunity to discuss a Webasto installation with Jonny @slidepods - An air heater is on my priority list and I want a 'factory' look installation. They are an experienced Webasto installer (their installations come with a three year warranty) but haven't installed a Webasto yet in this way.

Is there not a temp sensor for inlet air?
Edit;
If you dont have an external temp sensor then you have to have the inlet within the heated space, otherwise it will keep blowing hot based on outside ambient temp.

Last edited:
Is there not a temp sensor for inlet air?
Edit;
If you dont have an external temp sensor then you have to have the inlet within the heated space, otherwise it will keep blowing hot based on outside ambient temp.

Thanks @Fish Exactly the sort of info I need to make an informed decision.
Looking around I can see Exploria is advertising fitting using 'OEM heater Ducts' - I'm going to give them a call to understand quite what this means.

Thanks @Fish Exactly the sort of info I need to make an informed decision.
Looking around I can see Exploria is advertising fitting using 'OEM heater Ducts' - I'm going to give them a call to understand quite what this means.

very interesting... someone has signed off on this then! this might save me precious hours of work.. i might have to call them.

Back