Driver B pillar with rear vents. This is where my D2 blows hot or ambient air out.
This can be replicated in the rear. You will need to duct the air and insulate the duct to not lose heat enroute to the rear.

15341597485373708312428186900377.jpg

Driver B pillar with rear vents. This is where my D2 blows hot or ambient air out.
This can be replicated in the rear. You will need to duct the air and insulate the duct to not lose heat enroute to the rear.

View attachment 26945
The rear of the b pillar is all I'd need, though on the passenger side. So does it duct through the door or against the inside of the sill?

I cat use the drivers side as my furniture is there. Where would I connect into the van air duct if I was to vent it out of the back of the seat base as a option. I would rather use the passenger B pillar if it is possible.
The rear of the b pillar is all I'd need, though on the passenger side. So does it duct through the door or against the inside of the sill?

I cat use the drivers side as my furniture is there. Where would I connect into the van air duct if I was to vent it out of the back of the seat base as a option. I would rather use the passenger B pillar if it is possible.

I don’t know how much room you’d have with the fuel filler being there, but it would certainly be a good alternative for the majority of campervan owners with furniture on the offside.

I guess it’ll come down to
- space in the nearside B-pillar
- size of the ducting
- ability to route the ducting from the heater (that is situated underneath the drivers seat) to the nearside B-pillar
- whether heat from the ducting will create a risk to the fuel filler / tank.
- prevention of heat loss in the slightly longer run of ducting
- direction of heater (for that straight run in to the van)

I don’t know how much room you’d have with the fuel filler being there, but it would certainly be a good alternative for the majority of campervan owners with furniture on the offside.

I guess it’ll come down to
- space in the nearside B-pillar
- size of the ducting
- ability to route the ducting from the heater (that is situated underneath the drivers seat) to the nearside B-pillar
- whether heat from the ducting will create a risk to the fuel filler / tank.
- prevention of heat loss in the slightly longer run of ducting
- direction of heater (for that straight run in to the van)
Can't be too much of an issue as I had one there on my T5 and not much has changed since then in that respect?

Can't be too much of an issue as I had one there on my T5 and not much has changed since then in that respect?
In the B-pillar? Mate, share the wealth. I’ve been looking at that again and again, pondering if there’s room for a heater output!

In the B-pillar? Mate, share the wealth. I’ve been looking at that again and again, pondering if there’s room for a heater output!
Now you've got me doubting myself. I'm 99% sure that it had a heater vent there, mainly because I noticed when I picked the T6 up that it didn't have one. Now going to trawl through old pics to see if I can find one

Phew, I'm not going nuts!
Ok in this first one where I'm ripping out stuff, you can see the vent clearly at the side of the curtain (don't worry, they were next)
366437C9-B3A3-457E-83FA-479C893DD1E5.jpeg
The next one shows the grille where the air passes through from the front of the B pillar
C5CCB1BA-D27F-4D34-BCA7-85A191D0058F.jpeg
And the final one where I'm Silentcoating the door trim you can clearly see the plastic ducting to carry the air through the front door
165053F4-C800-47F0-B655-0FBDB4C816E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah, I see now - that serves to supply the rear passenger with air from the dash area, right? I wonder if there’s room to bring it up from underneath the van.

There's probably room to feed some customised ducting between the seat and sill to a modified B pillar. The hard part I think would be getting the ducting up to behind the dash while keeping it hidden.

Ok so it is not the prettiest, but you can’t see it
View attachment 20126

It has given me exactly the system I wanted so that the LPG tank will not only run the Cadac but also the heating; all coming into the van using OEM parts.

View attachment 20128

So was it straightforward - no. But am I happy - yes. As I’ve said, it’s bespoke to achieve what I wanted, so it was never going to be plainsailing. Majority of folk will probably not want their van messing around in such a way, but everything is solid and sealed so no problem.

View attachment 20127
Great post and much learnt as I'm having an external tank and Propex heater fitted next week, fingers crossed all will go without a hitch :)

Where is the best place to order the vents and ducting for this mod. Searched online everywhere and can only find one vent grill or purchase used from Germany?

Are you saying that you cannot get the vents from VW any longer? That will scupper my fitment of my heater.

Where is the best place to order the vents and ducting for this mod. Searched online everywhere and can only find one vent grill or purchase used from Germany?
You can get them from the forum shop. Message @Pauly He will have a list of all the part numbers needed :thumbsup:

Are you saying that you cannot get the vents from VW any longer? That will scupper my fitment of my heater.
Not at all, just my local dealer is an hour away and doesn't do delivery so i need to go in and order and then back to collect. Just wondered if there was an online option

Not at all, just my local dealer is an hour away and doesn't do delivery so i need to go in and order and then back to collect. Just wondered if there was an online option
Let me know what your after and I can ship it to you if required

Back