External 240v hook-up options?

Mine is at the back under the bonnet, still plenty high enough to avoid damage when reversing. You can see it on attached photo.

E26F969E-68D5-4198-BA7B-E7019D80C4B5.jpeg

I put my T5 one under the bonnet and will do the same again on the T6, no getting messy if it’s wet when you want to hook up.

I have both an inlet and outlet tucked up under the rear bumper. They don’t get wet.

I did a mod on the panel below the rear light on an early T5 but the design changed and made the moulding weaker on later models.
I now use a California unit in the side of the rear left side of the van for EHU and water fill. BUT this is only possible on a LWB, it will have to be fitted on the opposite side of a SWB to clear the door.

Rod

Hi all, I’ve been looking at this for sometime but just can’t commit without knowing what’s best if that makes sense?

move seen the hook up kits from the likes of Raynes etc but want to ask the following questions,

where’s best to get a kit with good instructions and black plug outlets?

how easy are these to fit myself??

thanks in advance

Just contact TravelVolts on here. Explain exactly what you want and Martyn will put a kit together for you. He will also provide support and answer any question or queries you have. A lot of people on here have gone this route.

Just contact TravelVolts on here. Explain exactly what you want and Martyn will put a kit together for you. He will also provide support and answer any question or queries you have. A lot of people on here have gone this route.

Thanks I’ve been speaking to him but wanted forum feedback as when looking online options vary and so does pricing

Where do i set up a hook up point ?? do I cut a hole in the side of the van , don't like the idea of that , any suggestions , could not find any answers in search

many options...some have a cable under the bonnet, some cut the whole in the side like you mention, mine had a plug inder the rear bumper (which i didnt like) so now had a flying lead hidden in the back that i drop out of the rear door on the vary rare occasion i hook up. There are a couple of stealth options also...if you have a tailgate people have modified the plastic panel under the light to hinge and hide a socket behind it and others have made the VW batch in the grille hinge in a similar way to how electric cars ten to charge.

I recall all have been mentioned in the past few weeks, so hopefully you can get inspiration from others

many options...some have a cable under the bonnet, some cut the whole in the side like you mention, mine had a plug inder the rear bumper (which i didnt like) so now had a flying lead hidden in the back that i drop out of the rear door on the vary rare occasion i hook up. There are a couple of stealth options also...if you have a tailgate people have modified the plastic panel under the light to hinge and hide a socket behind it and others have made the VW batch in the grille hinge in a similar way to how electric cars ten to charge.

I recall all have been mentioned in the past few weeks, so hopefully you can get inspiration from others

Do you have tailgate or barn doors? Are you able to close with flying lead in place without any problems?

Where do i set up a hook up point ?? do I cut a hole in the side of the van , don't like the idea of that , any suggestions , could not find any answers in search
This could be an idea ...my van is all 12v...but when camping EHU is routed via bonnet under carpet to come out under seat and connects to this reel (it’s fitted with circuit breakers ) and if I want to put in the tent just unplug and move to tent.....but I’ve also fitted a solar input same route to CTEK controller (connectors fit in an old tent peg bag)......:thumbsup::thumbsup:
76B84F55-2CD7-464A-8034-04361D2B8A73.jpeg 0279BE45-0D32-4FA0-ADE6-F8AABB267469.jpeg 54DD0BD0-4FF3-4C87-887A-E8A4598B2ED8.jpeg

Do you have tailgate or barn doors? Are you able to close with flying lead in place without any problems?

I have barn doors and the cable comes out without issue. its not the most refined of solutions however as my rear seat is fixed, there is plenty of space under it for storing the plug when not in use (which for me is 99% of the time!)

Just be careful trapping a mains cable in a metal door. Obvious I know but if one day the cable moved and you scissored it in the hinge... or if a car catches & drags your cable, the door could tear into the outer insulation...

I close 1 door, then route the cable out the bottom of where the 2 doors meet. the rubber seal has a good 10mm of compression so plenty of room for a 2.5mm 3 core double insulated cable. if you was using it every day of the week its not the best solution, but a handful of times a year, it works for me :cool:

Well I took the plunge , this was the only option for me , being of a certain age , not wanting to crawl on hands & knees to plug in under the van , I know its not every ones cup of tee , but its not to much in your face ?? making life that more simpler for me . thanks for your suggestion .t6 007 (2).JPG t6 009 (2).JPG t6 020 (2).JPG

Too late now I know but I have used another option on a LWB van with a water tank below the rear...

full.jpg

That feeds an Amber Plastics water tank (the same as Autosleepers use) plus provides the 240v input. Some VW parts from a Cali plus a propriety water filler cap, water outlet into van modified to fit inside the side trim.
It's no use on a SWB as it would foul the sliding door when it's opened.

Thanks nice and compact being both , mine only going to be basic , water container , under sink when I get to that point , first priority is 240 volt & 12 volt set up ,

Back