External 240v hook-up options?

Mine i under the rear bumper - fitted it last weekend. There because it would exceed the 2m max distance from plug-in to fuse box (my fuse box is at the very back) just inside the tailgate. Can send pictures if needs be.
Yes please that is where i was initially going to fit mine ;)

Cool..... thats where i was thinking to mount the socket. Is that mounted to the rear panel or did you make a bracket? thanks :thumbsup:

That's a nice solution. My only concern would be the physical strength of the plug if the cable gets tripped over but that's more to do with where you put it and it's easy enough to support the cable separately.
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put a black plug on the outside of an orange bumper though!

So we’ve decided that we want to get a 240v hook up into the van so when we go camping we can set up the babies steriliser etc inside the van.

Having never dabble in electrics etc I’m wondering what would be cheapest option to do this?

Cheapest way of doing it is probably to fit the hook up under the bonnet near the battery,run a cable to a small consumer unit under one of your seats and connect a couple of sockets to the consumer unit. This is how we done ours and it is pretty straighforward. Have a look at Travelvolts website and he does a kit with full instructions to do this job. If you want any more info ask Martyn @travelvolts and he will advise you on anything electrical,hope this helps

Cheapest option is to do it yourself, it really is an easy DIY job. If you can wire a plug, you can do it. I've just done the same in my lads T5 using the smallest consumer unit from Martyn mounted under the drivers seat, hook-up connector under the bonnet, 15mm flexi conduit, via the grommet under the drivers seat. From the consumer unit a pair of sockets behind the drivers seat for his coolbox etc, and a 3-way with two mains and a 12v socket at the back. Eagle-eyes will notice that I couldnt get matching surrounds during lockdown :)

IMG_20200424_164507.jpg

IMG_20200424_164539.jpg

IMG_20200424_164610.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can put the cu under the bonnet if you don’t have / want to use space under a seat
A6B1664D-207F-4B54-B970-3B39A9C9642F.jpeg

I then ran the artic cable through some conduit through the bulk head grommet behind the battery

0ABBD7CD-6C58-47B2-B596-2DB486EA622C.jpeg

The cheapest option to start with is to just use a EHU extension cable.

like this one,

1595241969581.png

they plug into the EHU point,

then run it into the VAN,
you then have 240v socketrs to plkug into,

They must have an RDC and double pole breaker for saftey . . .

1595242067617.png

heres an older style thatrs availible. (i have one of these but havent used it yet)

i got it from GoOutdoors.

1595242177040.png

The cheapest option to start with is to just use a EHU extension cable.

like this one,

View attachment 78315

they plug into the EHU point,

then run it into the VAN,
you then have 240v socketrs to plkug into,

They must have an RDC and double pole breaker for saftey . . .

View attachment 78316

heres an older style thatrs availible. (i have one of these but havent used it yet)

i got it from GoOutdoors.

View attachment 78318
Just ordered this one, @Dellmassive thankyou.

Back