External 240v hook-up options?

That under bonnet is great idea. But how/where are you getting through the bulkhead, and terminating in an outlet where?
I followed the instructions on travelvolts site (got parts from there too). Basically there's a grommet high up on the passenger front wheel arch that comes out directly behind the starter battery so I just pushed enough cable through to get to the front of the battery and then attached the hook up plug . It now can't go anywhere so I didnt bother screwing to the van. The cable then runs back to my rcd box which will be in the rear furniture once I fit it

Very helpful. Thank you. How did you wire through into the cab and where and what does it terminate to? Do you just drill through and put a 240v uk plug socket in the glove box?
You need to wire it to an rcd. Check out travelvolts.net and click on "240v mains" and you will see kits

Mines is tucked under where that square badge is on the rear. You can't see it when looking at the van. You have to get on your hands & knees to see it and plus the buggar in.. I can take a pic tomorrow if you need.
View attachment 6984
Reckon I may move mine. What consumer unit are you using and where have you got that mounted?

Heres where mine is. Cable comes through a grommet behind the starter battery (you can see the blue cable coming round the battery on the right of the pic). I have propped the connector up for this photo but when not in use I just tuck it down behind the heavy gauge black cables you see and it doesn't rattle about. The fuse holder you see on the right is the feed cable for the battery to battery charger which is under my drivers seat. All bought from @travelvolts

33507082322_fa0f6e95c2_h.jpgVWT6.jpg by VW T6, on Flickr

Same as above, Next to the battery I had it on my T5 will be the same for the t6, no crawling around wet grass required

The travelvolts instructions tell you to take the wipers and plenum cover off to install the 240V, what's the advantage in doing that?

The travelvolts instructions tell you to take the wipers and plenum cover off to install the 240V, what's the advantage in doing that?
@Colinlp follow these instructions here - https://media.wix.com/ugd/d959f6_0bd9a66467764a6a925603423a91f295.pdf

This is the instructions for installing the B2B wiring loom but it shows you where the grommet is. There is a second grommet about an inch from this one that can be used.

I used one of them for my 240v hook up and the other for my B2B wiring. Both come out behind the battery and mean that you dont have to drill through anything and you dont have to take the plenum cover of or remove the wipers.

The hardest bit it getting the grommet out and back in!

Last edited:
XPfloyd, thanks very much. I was just about to tackle the problem. Didn't have time last year, but time enough to know i would need to do something like that and it may not be so easy. So thanks, and I will check out travelvolts. Thanks. Spot on.

If you are mounting the inlet on the front of the plenum chamber then the cable is best routed through the 40 mm grommet in the corner. This requires removal of the wipers and plastic scuttle. These are only suggestions and you can choose whatever method suits you. Just be sure to protect the cable wherever it passes through metal bulkhead.

Last edited:
Hi @travelvolts do you have a shop location in or around Kidderminster? If so was wondering if I could come over and see you on Wednesday or Thursday next week? Looking to get a solar panel and want to wire it into my ctek250s. Equally just want to pick your brains over voltage displays et al.

No shop Davey, I work from home. Not here Wednesday but Thursday would be fine. I don't keep solar panels here (space is tight) but could get one in for Thursday if you know what you want.
Or you are always welcome to pop in for a chat.

No shop Davey, I work from home. Not here Wednesday but Thursday would be fine. I don't keep solar panels here (space is tight) but could get one in for Thursday if you know what you want.
Or you are always welcome to pop in for a chat.
I'll PM you.

Seen them hidden under the panel below the rear lights on the t5's looks neat if fiddly to achieve...

As mine were mounted to the underside of the van and looked like two plastic Halfords pretend exhaust pipes, today I set about moving them.

Had a look in the bonnet but could not see anywhere I would have been overly happy mounting them both, as I have 230v in and out.

So got down and dirty under the rear bumper to see what I could do. After offering them up and figuring out where they could go, the only option was dramatic - rear bumper off. Scratched my head for a while, then took to the internet, 5 minutes later I'd worked my magic and her panties were off, with her naked rear hanging in the cold air.

WP_20170416_15_46_28_Pro.jpg

As you will equally see, the inlet was then mounted to the nearside and the outlet to the offside.

WP_20170416_15_46_35_Pro.jpg

With everything back together you have to get down on your hands and knees to look under the van to see it, and even then the only one you can see is the end of the blue cap on the nearside.

WP_20170416_16_36_09_Pro.jpg

Definitely happier with outcome. Bloody glad I did take all the sockets apart as I found another reason why no-one should ever take their van to Rising Sun Campers nr Coventry. Both the Neutral and Earth on the inlet socket were not secured into the terminals. In fact the terminal screws were so badly burred could barely back them out. Pulled them out, nicked a couple of new ones out of a 30A terminal block and tightened it all back up. So that's the 230v plugs I have found with loose wires, as well as all of the connections on the neutral post of the leisure battery under my seat that they also installed which what I traced the fault back to when the internal lights, inverter, and amp stopped working. Reckon I will now take the consumer unit apart to check all of the connections in there as well prior to hooking up to a 230v supply for the first time.

As mine were mounted to the underside of the van and looked like two plastic Halfords pretend exhaust pipes, today I set about moving them.

Had a look in the bonnet but could not see anywhere I would have been overly happy mounting them both, as I have 230v in and out.

So got down and dirty under the rear bumper to see what I could do. After offering them up and figuring out where they could go, the only option was dramatic - rear bumper off. Scratched my head for a while, then took to the internet, 5 minutes later I'd worked my magic and her panties were off, with her naked rear hanging in the cold air.

View attachment 7067

As you will equally see, the inlet was then mounted to the nearside and the outlet to the offside.

View attachment 7066

With everything back together you have to get down on your hands and knees to look under the van to see it, and even then the only one you can see is the end of the blue cap on the nearside.

View attachment 7068

Definitely happier with outcome. Bloody glad I did take all the sockets apart as I found another reason why no-one should ever take their van to Rising Sun Campers nr Coventry. Both the Neutral and Earth on the inlet socket were not secured into the terminals. In fact the terminal screws were so badly burred could barely back them out. Pulled them out, nicked a couple of new ones out of a 30A terminal block and tightened it all back up. So that's the 230v plugs I have found with loose wires, as well as all of the connections on the neutral post of the leisure battery under my seat that they also installed which what I traced the fault back to when the internal lights, inverter, and amp stopped working. Reckon I will now take the consumer unit apart to check all of the connections in there as well prior to hooking up to a 230v supply for the first time.
Well done @DaveyB what have you done with the bag of spare fixings you have left over :D

@DaveyB , nice catch with the 240v, looking neat with the sockets.. Get a plug in elec tester to show the l,e,n states when you first hook up on site.. Checks your and their connectors..

@DaveyB , nice catch with the 240v, looking neat with the sockets.. Get a plug in elec tester to show the l,e,n states when you first hook up on site.. Checks your and their connectors..
Good idea @T6Dave. Got one of those in my toolbox, use it when doing Fire Investigations to see if electric supply has been an issue.

Back