Which Skyline pop-top: original or Aurora?

NorthernT6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So I have narrowed it down to Skyline for my Poptop of choice, firstly for the good reviews and recommendations on here and secondly Skyline North are up the road from me. My dilemma is which roof to go for , the 100mm standard or the Aurora? They both have there pros and cons! so any help or suggestions would be appreciated....

Standard roof:

Pro's

1. Main one for me is vango cali Mattress and sleeping bags can stay in roof when closed.
  2. Cheaper than Aurora
  3. Tried and tested strap system.
Cons
  1. More bathtub like appearance than the Aurora sitting at 100mm Approx. height.

Aurora roof:

Pros'

1. Slimmer profile, less bathtub
  2. Slicker cam type lock down system
Cons,

1. Cannot store mattress and bedding when roof down.
  2. Heard reports of cam locks leaking?
  3. More expensive.
I've probably answered my own question typing this out and seeing it in front of me, but if anybody has been here before and have some suggestions or opinions, it would be appreciated.

One last thing I have already placed the order with Skyline for the standard roof, this was to benefit from there October deal which gave a free scenic canvas and Bed board.

I have been told I can change to the Aurora if I later decided to. So please nobody tempt me with other Pop top offerings ;)

Can only comment on the Aurora @NorthernT6, no problems with leaking cams, and am very pleased overall. We manage to store our mattress and an external thermal screen cover up there with the roof down.:thumbsup:

I also have the Aurora, it's very well made and solid. No leaks for me anywhere. The locks are so easy to use and a very neat solution.

Can only comment on the Aurora @NorthernT6, no problems with leaking cams, and am very pleased overall. We manage to store our mattress and an external thermal screen cover up there with the roof down.:thumbsup:
Is that the memory foam mattress that skyline offer? If not what type do you use?

I’ve got the standard on my t5.1 and it’s great can leave all the bedding up top while away so makes life easier especially if moving sites. I use a canto California air mat just open the air valves when lowering roof

For me it was the price difference

Is that the memory foam mattress that skyline offer? If not what type do you use?
Its the Skyline offering so fairly thin., We use it as a topper for the Variotech fold out bed which makes sooo much difference. :thumbsup:

Okay thanks, even Micheal at skyline said the memory foam topper they offer is not great, and most people now opt for the Vango California, both same price. But that will definitely not stay in the roof when closed on the aurora, but does on the standard roof.

Okay thanks, even Micheal at skyline said the memory foam topper they offer is not great, and most people now opt for the Vango California, both same price. But that will definitely not stay in the roof when closed on the aurora, but does on the standard roof.
I’m in the same boat. I was going for the Aurora but am leaning towards the standard roof now. Like you I’ve paid the deposit without giving the spec. I called in skyline north today. I’ve looked at 3 vans with standard roofs and they sit nice on the van. I was going to go gel coat white on a candy white van. The fitter told me either go black gel cost or colour code it as the white gel is not a great match.
There fitting an Aurora next week I think so I’m going to call back to take a look before I make up my mind.

Fitted in March lasted well so far.
Van in the garage at the mo but I’ll take some more pics when I get it back
Was planning on giving it a once over in spring either way

I was booked in for a Aurora and Skyline actually talked me into getting the standard instead. They had both in stock so that wasn’t the issue.

The Aurora isn’t as slim line as you think and really the only main benefit is the locking system. I’m not keen how it sits on the roof compared to the standard roof. The standard roof curves to the sides of the van, unlike the Aurora which is very square and looks like a box on the roof.

The standard roof is also £500 cheaper so for me the only real benefit of the Aurora would be the locking system.

I was booked in for a Aurora and Skyline actually talked me into getting the standard instead. They had both in stock so that wasn’t the issue.

The Aurora isn’t as slim line as you think and really the only main benefit is the locking system. I’m not keen how it sits on the roof compared to the standard roof. The standard roof curves to the sides of the van, unlike the Aurora which is very square and looks like a box on the roof.

The standard roof is also £500 cheaper so for me the only real benefit of the Aurora would be the locking system.
I’ve ended up going with the standard. Mines getting fit the 24th jan.
Have you had your’s fit yet ?

Same here, Initially looking at the Aurora but Skyline pointed out the points mentioned above and pushed me towards the standard, since posting the original question above I have looked at a lot of Aurora pics and they do seem more "Pizza Box on Roof" type of look, the standard does hug the van curves better.

I'm sticking with the standard and also got a fitting date of Jan 24th!:thumbsup:

Same here, Initially looking at the Aurora but Skyline pointed out the points mentioned above and pushed me towards the standard, since posting the original question above I have looked at a lot of Aurora pics and they do seem more "Pizza Box on Roof" type of look, the standard does hug the van curves better.

I'm sticking with the standard and also got a fitting date of Jan 24th!:thumbsup:
Wow both vans I’m the same time.

I have the Aurora. Agree that it’s quite boxy.

My locking cams both leak. Waiting to see if that proves to be a problem. Tbh I’d still take leaky cams over straps.

And it creaks. It’s really winding me up, actually. I’ve only done some initial investigation and I’m not sure where the noise is coming from yet.

The canvas also seemed to leak the first few times in the rain. I’m hoping it’s just weathering.

And have they sorted out their shitty siding hatch cover latch?

You can tell I’m not fully convinced overall.

Back