Which Skyline pop-top: original or Aurora?

So… This is what I’m trying to understand.

The Aurora seems to be bigger on top of the van, but yet won’t hold a mattress like the standard will. Where is the space going? Does the standard roof take up more head space in the van?

I have an Aurora, BTW.
The Aurora is lower profile than the standard, limited storage for bedding. The Skylow is even lower profile but nothing can stay in the roof.

My mattress is the one supplied by Skyline for the roof bed but we actually use it as a 'topper' mattress for the fold out Reimo bed which makes a big difference. Its not a perfect size for the Reimo bed but works fine for us. Havnt slept in the roof yet with just the mattress. I think if we got a slightly bigger mattress to suit the Reimo bed perfectly I would have trouble storing it in the roof then as it would be slightly too big to fit up there comfortably.

Which mattress do you have? Is it comfortable
I have the standard 25mm (memory?) foam mattress from Skyline in the pop top. I can’t imagine any adult sleeping comfortably on this mattress. My two sons (8 and 3) are totally fine.

I’ve slept up there comfortably with a thin Thermarest inflatable under the foam mattress. That was pretty good.

I’ve been all over the place with mattresses… trying to find a comfortable, convenient way to sleep on our rock-hard RIB bed.

1st attempt - Slept on it bare. Fecking horrible.
2nd attempt - Used 100mm Vango self-inflating double. Comfortable to start but the bloody thing now leaks flat by morning. Extremely frustrating. And an absolute b*****d to roll up.
3rd attempt - Two 66cm Duvalay Compact (25mm) memory foam mattresses. The misses was fine, but I wasn’t comfortable enough.
4th attempt - 66cm Duvalay Comfort Gold (50mm) memory foam mattress, and doubling up the two 25mm mattresses. I think I’ve finally found a winner. Haven’t slept on it yet.

For perspective… I’m a tall, bony, tall guy. I get sore hips and back when not enough cushioning. The trick is the right firmness.

I’m going to see if I can store the two 25mm Duvalays up there for travel. Then just have the 50mm one rolled up at the back.

I have the standard 25mm (memory?) foam mattress from Skyline in the pop top. I can’t imagine any adult sleeping comfortably on this mattress. My two sons (8 and 3) are totally fine.

I’ve slept up there comfortably with a thin Thermarest inflatable under the foam mattress. That was pretty good.

I’ve been all over the place with mattresses… trying to find a comfortable, convenient way to sleep on our rock-hard RIB bed.

1st attempt - Slept on it bare. Fecking horrible.
2nd attempt - Used 100mm Vango self-inflating double. Comfortable to start but the bloody thing now leaks flat by morning. Extremely frustrating. And an absolute b*****d to roll up.
3rd attempt - Two 66cm Duvalay Compact (25mm) memory foam mattresses. The misses was fine, but I wasn’t comfortable enough.
4th attempt - 66cm Duvalay Comfort Gold (50mm) memory foam mattress, and doubling up the two 25mm mattresses. I think I’ve finally found a winner. Haven’t slept on it yet.

For perspective… I’m a tall, bony, tall guy. I get sore hips and back when not enough cushioning. The trick is the right firmness.

I’m going to see if I can store the two 25mm Duvalays up there for travel. Then just have the 50mm one rolled up at the back.
You’ve certainly done your research, thanks for sharing! I’m thinking of a decathlon 100mm inflatable with a topper!

You’ve certainly done your research, thanks for sharing! I’m thinking of a decathlon 100mm inflatable with a topper!
I’ve sworn off all inflatables now.

I’ve had too many “rugged”, “durable”, expensive, name-brand mattresses develope leaks and leave me flat over night. And I’ve always unsuccessfully tried to repair the leaks.

The only inflatable mattress I’ve had that didn’t deflate over night is my 20 year old Thermarest bought in North America.

All that said, if you go inflatable, a topper is a good idea. Much nicer on the skin to have something that breathes.

Thanks for the info, I have a box of them trim clips so might try them
I’ve knocked up a panel tonight to fill in the rear of the ceiling. I’ve basically used the standard ceiling panel , then scribed infills to the ceiling. It needs a tidy up screws counter sinking etc and a couple more putting in. But it’s nearly ready to carpet. I’m also going to mount a led reading light to it.

9AF95BB9-6830-44DE-BA2B-95E9698E96DF.jpeg

Hi
Looks good,

Is this an adaption of the roof piece that Skyline fitted? also how is this fixed to the roof? Might be looking at doing something similar... cheers
yeah I used the board that skyline used. Then used 2 pieces of 25mm x25mm box plastic across the width about 1300ish. Screwed that to the board and scribed it to the van roof. So mine sits a good 25/30mm lower than skyline made it. Then carpeted it.

Hi i'm in the same dilemma - Standard or Aurora - does anyone have a side profile pic of their LWB van with a standard version so I can compare?
here is one of the arurora that i haveIMG_3131.jpg

Back