Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

So if a small independent dealer can get a code reset so can thief so would be pointless
And the ghost has an overriding master code according to their website so how is that any better?

I’m seriously tempted by the ghost, just unclear about what was said earlier about having to re enter the pin every time the start stop kicks in...
Its not when the stop start kicks in its just if you move it into park for any length of time. No problem with stop/start during normal driving.

No need you only enter code on initial startup
So when stop/start functions at a road junction; because the vehicle ignition is still switched on, the Ghost doesn't need the code re-entering when the vehicle re-starts ?

So when stop/start functions at a road junction; because the vehicle ignition is still switched on, the Ghost doesn't need the code re-entering when the vehicle re-starts ?
Correct - code only needed when you start the engine. Stop/start not a problem unless you engage Park for any length of time (and you get the restart engine manually message).

Correct - code only needed when you start the engine. Stop/start not a problem unless you engage Park for any length of time (and you get the restart engine manually message).
OK; so what happens if you leave the vehicle parked with the DSG in "P" and the engine running?
Does it turn the engine off?; or do you just need to re-entre the code before engaging drive "D"?
What period of time are you talking about in "P" before the code needs re-entering?
What do you think would happen in a manual transmission, with the engine running, and in neutral?

OK; so what happens if you leave the vehicle parked with the DSG in "P" and the engine running?
Does it turn the engine off?; or do you just need to re-entre the code before engaging drive "D"?
What period of time are you talking about in "P" before the code needs re-entering?
What do you think would happen in a manual transmission, with the engine running, and in neutral?
If the engine is running then the ghost wont switch it off (apart from when you first start it without putting the code in).

I think the "restart engine manually" is a feature of the stop/start, rather than the Ghost, when sat in park for any length of time - its just that the requirement to "restart manually" means that you have to reenter the ghost code. Not sure what the time period is, I'm guessing around a couple of minutes - only happened to me a couple of times when waiting in a queue to fill up so I just avoid putting into park when in traffic, etc..

As for a manual, I haven't got a clue - it will come down to how the stop/start behaves, i.e. if the stop/start recognises you are sat in neutral for any length of time and invokes a similar "restart manually" then yes, you would have to put the ghost code in. However, I doubt the stop/start would do that on a manual.

I think as you said earlier it's the recycling of the ignition as you have to do to "start engine manually" that resets the ghost..

Last edited:
Ok - just read the T6 manual re stop start and one of the "conditions that necessitate a manual key start" is "if the driver unfastens their seat belt" - can't say for sure but sat in a queue for fuel I would probably have done this! Hence, my assumption and comments that it is moving the DSG into park that is forcing the manual restart may just be because that it the only time I have experienced it.

as already commented and goes without saying...
if said scumbags have targeted your pride and joy then at some point they will come for it...
Its just another, - and IMO - strong level of protection to the opportunist little Pr..k!!
I'm looking forward to having mine fitted, as it will make me sleep better.....hopefully!!

PS do the insurers like this level of protection?

if said scumbags have targeted your pride and joy then at some point they will come for it...
Its just another, - and IMO - strong level of protection to the opportunist little Pr..k!!
I'm looking forward to having mine fitted, as it will make me sleep better.....hopefully!!

Not thatcham approved so they won't care, more important as you said bove to sleeping better...

Mine (Club Care Insurance via Camping and Caravan Club) didn't recognise it or want to know about it though they do list as other additional security.

This, just like trackers, could be removed given enough time, but the difference here is they will have to remove it before they take it, unlike a tracker that can be jammed and removed later from their yard...
The more delay and inconvenience they have on your drive with the clock ticking, they are more likely to abandon their attempts.

Now whilst they are messing with it you need to scare them away with a manually operated F**k-off big sounder on the front of your property loud enough to wake the entire neighborhood. :)
(or blast them with your paintball gun)

Last edited:
Mine (Club Care Insurance via Camping and Caravan Club) didn't recognise it or want to know about it though they do list as other additional security.
I think you should never mention "Other" devices that they don't recognise.

Its like house alarms, if you tell your insurance you have one and it fails to work or you forget to set it they will use it against you.

I think you should never mention "Other" devices that they don't recognise.

Its like house alarms, if you tell your insurance you have one and it fails to work or you forget to set it they will use it against you.
Agreed - I have a cat 5 tracker on my Defender but don't declare it on my insurance incase my keys ever get stolen with my fob, etc.. In the case of my camper insurance they have no information as to what "other" is - I could argue it is my tracker, ghost, smart water, etc., if it came to it.

I think the Ghost would certainly work for us on two of our vehicles.
Mind made up, I'm going to get two fitted. T6 first
@Loz, what do you think I need to be asking of an installer re the installation before going ahead?

I think the Ghost would certainly work for us on two of our vehicles.
Mind made up, I'm going to get two fitted. T6 first
@Loz, what do you think I need to be asking of an installer re the installation before going ahead?
Have they ever done a T6 before??

Also I would be offering a "little bit" on top of whatever autowatch are paying them for a better job. What I mean by that is spend more time than usual to bury it and make very difficult to get to.

The guy I will ask first is an Auto Electrician who only works on Motorhomes & Campers, fits all the usual high end alarm stuff to Thatham requirements. He was approached directly by Auto Watch to supply/fit their stuff, and he told me about the system a few months ago.
I've sent him a text, I'll see what he says, as he is very good at his job imo.

Back