Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anyone had one of the autowatch ghost immobilisers fitted? Just been checking them out like in this link

Basically a sequence of things need to be pressed to get it to start which seems like it may become annoying but a good piece of mind

RRP looks to be 399 as advised by my local installer and buttons available are:

Steering wheel: Cruise control (CRUISE MUST BE ON FIRST!)

Cruise control: All buttons

Others: Slight press of accelerator pedal, park assist, stop-start

Indications: Left and right indications on dash OR ABS lam

So for eg you’re pin code could be cruise + twice, cruise - twice.

Has anyone got one? Pros / Cons?

I have one, if you don't enter the code it's a chore to get started but once you get used to it's fine, pitty the steering wheel buttons don't work, it's tiny and taped into the wiring loom I'd struggle finding it and I saw where he put it

I have one, if you don't enter the code it's a chore to get started but once you get used to it's fine, pitty the steering wheel buttons don't work, it's tiny and taped into the wiring loom I'd struggle finding it and I saw where he put it
I've had it installed since the van was new and love it for the extra piece of mind it provides. Once you get used to it being there it becomes intuitive to use and I find myself putting the code in without even really thinking about it - I have only forgotten to put the code in a few times and, yes, it can be a bit of a faff to go through the reset procedure before trying again (take keys out, wait circa 30 secs, start again) especially when you are sat on a petrol station forecourt with an impatient person behind you, but that for me is a very small price to pay.

You can also use an app on a mobile phone (only one phone per device) to negate putting the code in but I feel this downgrades the security a bit, i.e. if someone takes my van keys there is a good chance of them getting my phone as well.

The only real downside for me with DSG is that if you move into "P" and leave it for a few minutes then the stop/start forces you to manually restart the engine which means having to go through the Ghost's restart procedure. Again though, small price to pay.

Not sure what you mean about "petty the steering wheel buttons don't work"? Mine uses the steering wheel buttons without problem.

I've had it installed since the van was new and love it for the extra piece of mind it provides. Once you get used to it being there it becomes intuitive to use and I find myself putting the code in without even really thinking about it - I have only forgotten to put the code in a few times and, yes, it can be a bit of a faff to go through the reset procedure before trying again (take keys out, wait circa 30 secs, start again) especially when you are sat on a petrol station forecourt with an impatient person behind you, but that for me is a very small price to pay.

You can also use an app on a mobile phone (only one phone per device) to negate putting the code in but I feel this downgrades the security a bit, i.e. if someone takes my van keys there is a good chance of them getting my phone as well.

The only real downside for me with DSG is that if you move into "P" and leave it for a few minutes then the stop/start forces you to manually restart the engine which means having to go through the Ghost's restart procedure. Again though, small price to pay.

Not sure what you mean about "petty the steering wheel buttons don't work"? Mine uses the steering wheel buttons without problem.

I have a 140 euro 5 and not all the buttons work, non on the steering wheel work but still enough to get a good code, I find turning the ignition on and off twice waiting a few seconds inbetween is the fastest way to reset, my t6 isn't my daily so I forget often

I have a 140 euro 5 and not all the buttons work, non on the steering wheel work but still enough to get a good code, I find turning the ignition on and off twice waiting a few seconds inbetween is the fastest way to reset, my t6 isn't my daily so I forget often
Mmmm - can't say I have tried all of the steering wheel buttons but the ones I want definitely work. I wonder if placement of the device effects which buttons you can use??

Don't have any buttons on my steering wheel did not think it was worth the extra money, regret it a bit now

I've been thinking about this Ghost system for our motorhome, after some real pita issues with another system.
It looks ideal.
So if you forget to put the code in before starting the van, you have to go through the 30sec wait ?, is there anything to remind you to put the code in?
Does it have a hijack function, i.e if a door is opened when the vehicle is running, does it trigger?
I agree with you on the phone thing, If you had to use the pin code/finger print/face recognition on the phone that would work, but just the phone being switched on????? a bit rubbish and defeating the whole concept of the Ghost imo.

Thinking on how this probably works.. how long before the scroats just plug into the odb port and block the ghost?

I've been thinking about this Ghost system for our motorhome, after some real pita issues with another system.
It looks ideal.
So if you forget to put the code in before starting the van, you have to go through the 30sec wait ?, is there anything to remind you to put the code in?
Does it have a hijack function, i.e if a door is opened when the vehicle is running, does it trigger?
I agree with you on the phone thing, If you had to use the pin code/finger print/face recognition on the phone that would work, but just the phone being switched on????? a bit rubbish and defeating the whole concept of the Ghost imo.
No - all it does is stops you starting.

I was able to simulate what I saw in the video where it starts and immediately stops so assume as its connected to the can bus (or it wouldn't see your button presses) and simply instructs the car to stop.. that's was where my thinking came from, a dongle to block the ghosts communications on the can bus..

Just thinking out loud not knocking it..

I have a obd saver on my car which seems pretty good and locks around he obd port... there’s no way of getting it off without the key other than chopping all the cables off the back of the plug.

I’ve seen a scrambler also where the obd port is relocated and another located in the usual spot to connect you need to use a additional cable. This seemed to be cheaper than the obd saver.

Think with the recent thefts you can’t be too careful

I was able to simulate what I saw in the video where it starts and immediately stops so assume as its connected to the can bus (or it wouldn't see your button presses) and simply instructs the car to stop.. that's was where my thinking came from, a dongle to block the ghosts communications on the can bus..

Just thinking out loud not knocking it..
Yep, it works via the CAN bus but there is no physical connection, i.e. no wires are cut and it is not pugged in anywhere (just needs wrapping/tapping/hiding around the loom somewhere). As one of the main selling points of the product is protecting against key cloning and/or OBD theft I'd be surprised if they hadn't worked in some protection against what you describe?? Either way, it's just one of the layers of security employed.

Yep, it works via the CAN bus but there is no physical connection, i.e. no wires are cut and it is not pugged in anywhere (just needs wrapping/tapping/hiding around the loom somewhere). As one of the main selling points of the product is protecting against key cloning and/or OBD theft I'd be surprised if they hadn't worked in some protection against what you describe?? Either way, it's just one of the layers of security employed.
Sure, I expect it is spliced into the can bus wires.
I love the idea, plus either an odb lock or secret switch that disconnects the power line on the odb port.

Sure, I expect it is spliced into the can bus wires.
I love the idea, plus either an odb lock or secret switch that disconnects the power line on the odb port.
They claim it is Undetectable using diagnostics and Cannot be bypassed using standard theft methods. I assume this means it’s not visible via the OBD port??

Back