Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

I wonder why VW don’t build in what the ghost does, it would be so easy for them.
I agree, just like the 1980's Peugeot with the built-in key pad. A really good idea imo.
I am really tempted to get a Ghost on out T6 and Motorhome; both are really vulnerable to being stollen when we use them at the weekends. The keys get left in coat pockets thrown on the ground, or in a kit bag etc for hours. Not only do I desperately not want to loose a vehicle, often with our cherished and much loved dogs inside; Neither do I want to be explaining to the insurers where the missing set of keys are either...........:eek:o_O

I wonder why VW don’t build in what the ghost does, it would be so easy for them.
It's a bit like why the hell do manufacturers put the OBD port in such accessible and unprotected positions - convenient for when we/technicians need it but means its equally accessible to thieves.

Would be a nightmare for vehicle resale
Not really, you could reprogram your own code if you have the key..

I just been doing some research so I have a good idea how they do it..

A Good install is vital.

Not really, you could reprogram your own code if you have the key..

I just been doing some research so I have a good idea how they do it..

A Good install is vital.

If its that easy then car thiefs would have it sussed in no time

To reprogram your code
To change the code you would need to know the current one.

Like a key safe with a number pad. If you know the code you can unlock it and whikst unlocked change it to a new one.

Any thief walking up to it doesn’t know the code so cant change it.

Just like this; Autowatch Ghost Changing Pin

Last edited:
It does seem well thought out. It has "vallet codes" that have restricted access if the vehicle is being serviced etc; and there is a special override coding (manufacturer access) with lots of security if you forget your code etc etc.

And say that code got lost by a garage selling the vehicle this would be a bit of a nightmare for them as the vehicle wouldn't start, so for a manufacturer to incorporate this system they would need another failsafe making it less secure, I know how they work as I have had one for a while now

It does seem well thought out. It has "vallet codes" that have restricted access if the vehicle is being serviced etc; and there is a special override coding (manufacturer access) with lots of security if you forget your code etc etc.
I agree, they could also include a function to prevent start/stop.

But as I said a few posts up, its installed location is vital to its effectiveness.

And say that code got lost by a garage selling the vehicle this would be a bit of a nightmare for them as the vehicle wouldn't start, so for a manufacturer to incorporate this system they would need another failsafe making it less secure, I know how they work as I have had one for a while now
No different to the radio code held by the mothership..

Don't virtually all alarms have these functions including house alarms etc etc? You often need a serial number and some other unique info, sorted out when the system is fitted.
Not sure I see a big risk with this;

I agree, they could also include a function to prevent start/stop.

But as I said a few posts up, its installed location is vital to its effectiveness.
I guess stop/start could be permanently disabled in the T6's software through vagcom or similar?????

I’m seriously tempted by the ghost, just unclear about what was said earlier about having to re enter the pin every time the start stop kicks in...

I’m seriously tempted by the ghost, just unclear about what was said earlier about having to re enter the pin every time the start stop kicks in...
Do you think stop/start could be turned off in vagcom/carista?
I never really understood out stop/start; mostly it does not turn the engine off; then apparently randomly it does. I certainly wouldn't miss it, if I could turn it off permanently.

Do you think stop/start could be turned off in vagcom/carista?
I never really understood out stop/start; mostly it does not turn the engine off; then apparently randomly it does. I certainly wouldn't miss it, if I could turn it off permanently.
Not with vcds currently but can be done with vas.

Back