Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

@Loz have you had chance to look at the Ampire canbus firewall? unit we are talking about above - as far as I can see with my limited technical expertise it looks pretty similar to Ghost but quite a bit cheaper??

Good spot - my guess, given better compatibility with other VW vehicles, is that they just haven’t tried it in a range of T6s yet. I know when I had my Ghost installed Autowatch were unable to confirm which buttons would work and subsequently found it was a bit limited, especially for anyone without the steering wheel buttons.

Yip. Shuttle SE doesn't come with MFSW. So my local Autowatch installer contacted their technical boffin. Explained I had retro fitted cruise on the stalk (as per Euro 5). Coded to vehicle just like factory fit. Cant use these buttons apparently. Told I can use the accelerator pedal and traction control button. Guess what. VW kept said button in their parts bin and neglected to grace my van with such an item. So back to drawing board.

Bear in mind that I was only guessing its the Ampire, @Clydiee hasnt actually confirmed that yet, he may have something new, eg Sparkfun sell a variety of Arduino/Canbus boards, I have some here... :thumbsup:

I hope the "firewall" moniker is just a name, as it implies splitting the canbus high & low and fitting inline. The Ampire "Installation manual" is just a user guide so I dunno, but it does show two ports. The Ghost of course simply taps onto the bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking on how this probably works.. how long before the scroats just plug into the odb port and block the ghost?

Ghost has no Comms with obd so can't be bypassed that way . All goes to the installer of how secure the system actually is. I put one on a Corsa vxr and you have no dash illumination till correct sequence is found.
Only way to by pass is strip the car down and remove it. Which no thief could do in 2 mins. Maybe 3 to 4 hours. So problems people are having is down to the installer. If your dash is dead you have a good installer.

What is your issue with the ghost?
Hi Loz, no particular issue with Ghost I just like to have options. The last Ghost installer I spoke with tried to steer me away from the Ghost and towards a fully fledged alarm system, I had made my mind up on Ghost till he said he has known them not to work on a T6 as in was able to start without entering the sequence, not 100% confident in what he told me but it has set a doubt.

Hi Loz, no particular issue with Ghost I just like to have options. The last Ghost installer I spoke with tried to steer me away from the Ghost and towards a fully fledged alarm system, I had made my mind up on Ghost till he said he has known them not to work on a T6 as in was able to start without entering the sequence, not 100% confident in what he told me but it has set a doubt.
I call bullshit on that one. If he tried to talk you out of it it is probably because he doesn't or can't fit them.

Ghost has no Comms with obd so can't be bypassed that way . All goes to the installer of how secure the system actually is. I put one on a Corsa vxr and you have no dash illumination till correct sequence is found.
Only way to by pass is strip the car down and remove it. Which no thief could do in 2 mins. Maybe 3 to 4 hours. So problems people are having is down to the installer. If your dash is dead you have a good installer.
Agree, and why I went with one in the end..

new Ghost out as of today folks, the app will now pair with 2 phones & also is Android compatible. Ordered mine so should be here Monday, but may be a week or so till I get off my backside to install it lol

new Ghost out as of today folks, the app will now pair with 2 phones & also is Android compatible. Ordered mine so should be here Monday, but may be a week or so till I get off my backside to install it lol

Can you purchase these for self fit or are you an installer? any other differences other than you mentioned?

Dealer fit only I'm afraid, part of my day job :) & so my guy says at Ghost, the only differences are the above. I'll let you know more when I get the time to fit it :)

Can you purchase these for self fit or are you an installer? any other differences other than you mentioned?

Anyone recommend a Ghost installer in Glasgow or Scotland?

My only concern is that I dont have enough buttons as I converted a startline. Dont have buttons on my steering wheel

Does anyone know if the electric window buttons can be included in the pin combo?

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a Ghost installer in Glasgow or Scotland?

My only concern is that I dont have enough buttons as I converted a startline. Dont have buttons on my steering wheel

Does anyone know if the electric window buttons can be included in the pin combo?

I had the same issue as you @xpfloyd

Made enquiries with Falkland Performance Centre in Glenrothes. Was told no can do with respect to the window switches. (See my post above).

Back