Autowatch Ghost immobiliser

I’ve just had a ghost and cat 6 tracker, use a disc lock and hid the ODB port as that’ll hold any thief up too.

my insurance is through the roof due to total loss on a t5. I like my van and if this goes then atleast I tried I guess lol

Quick question...

If someone’s going to nick your motor off your drive, don’t you want them gone ASAP rather than breaking in your house and finding you for the code?

Quick question...

If someone’s going to nick your motor off your drive, don’t you want them gone ASAP rather than breaking in your house and finding you for the code?
True, but the vast majority are not that confrontational and during the day whilst the home is unoccupied. To get your keys they will have to break in anyway unless your silly enough to leave them on the side in the hallway within reach of the letter box (like our neighbor did)
Plus they won’t know it has one is fitted and will be back outside with the clock ticking so to speak, after a couple of tries they will probably be on their way.
There are easier ways for the theif, like turning up with a clampers truck and just lifting it away.
So in all these scenarios you have to put them in order of likelihood and the Ghost, in my opinion, covers a few of the m at reasonable cost.
And If you are unlucky enough to be in that situation you can just tell them.

I’ve always had fast/desirable cars and it’s always played on my mind.

If someone is going to nick my motor I want them in and out as quickly as possible without causing my family any problems.

I’m using mine daily at the moment so guess that’s why it’s not such a concern but after reading this post this seems like a good option.

How bad is the security on a T6. Same key as my misses Golf which I thought was ok?

Fortunately we don’t have keyless entry and start so that drops us down the stealing order.
It’s just the keys we are vulnerable over. So we need to have good habits and not get complacent.

Its worth discussing so we can all think about the likelihood of it happening to “me” how we operate, where we live and what measures we have in place.

Then, what will the disruption and cost be to get back to normal.

Years ago when the first epidemic of car theft hit (late 80s, early 90s) and Thatcham got on the case following a prod from Norwich Union, the first research suggested that if a thief can't get your motor away within just over 4 minutes (on average) they give up and go away. So, it transpired that this was the stipulated time that a cat one alarm/immobiliser or cat2 immobiliser system had to withstand attack for. I haven't seen any updated info from Thatcham on this but it would be interesting to know how things have changed, if at all.

Years ago when the first epidemic of car theft hit (late 80s, early 90s) and Thatcham got on the case following a prod from Norwich Union, the first research suggested that if a thief can't get your motor away within just over 4 minutes (on average) they give up and go away. So, it transpired that this was the stipulated time that a cat one alarm/immobiliser or cat2 immobiliser system had to withstand attack for. I haven't seen any updated info from Thatcham on this but it would be interesting to know how things have changed, if at all.
interesting. This could be both a shorter time due to more CCTV, awareness and so on, or longer as nobody really gives a toss and walk on by.

Last edited:
Guys, there's a new code entry immobiliser coming to market soon which is apparently much better than Ghost. Should have more details from a client who owns the UK rights, soon as I have more info I'll update....

Autowatch now have a secondary immobiliser that can be added and provides a Thatcham level method of immobilisation and they can be paired to work together.

Guys, there's a new code entry immobiliser coming to market soon which is apparently much better than Ghost. Should have more details from a client who owns the UK rights, soon as I have more info I'll update....
In what way is it better?

Except it claims only the foot pedals can be used for the key code. This would make it very limited especially if these are as sensitive as for the Ghost
“- 1 to 15-digit PIN code via CAN-Bus supported buttons in the steering wheel or dashboard” ??

Except it claims only the foot pedals can be used for the key code. This would make it very limited especially if these are as sensitive as for the Ghost

Are you sure? Quote from the description:

"To disarm the system, you have use existing switches within your vehicle. You can designate your code using buttons on the steering wheel, the navigation or in the dash (the buttons available are vehicle specific, these are listed in the compatibility list. You must enter this code before each trip. The combination you choose is like entering the PIN of your credit/debit card."

I was just quoting from page 47 of the compatibility list which details the usable ‘switches’ as the ‘footbrake’ and ‘accelerator’ (see key on page 48)
Good spot - my guess, given better compatibility with other VW vehicles, is that they just haven’t tried it in a range of T6s yet. I know when I had my Ghost installed Autowatch were unable to confirm which buttons would work and subsequently found it was a bit limited, especially for anyone without the steering wheel buttons.

Back